ADSL Connection Help

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
    company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
    connection as a result.

    I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
    the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
    the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
    anything in Internet Explorer.

    I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
    the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
    and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
    suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
    people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
    have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
    client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.

    Cheers

    John
     
    John, Jun 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
    > company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
    > connection as a result.
    >
    > I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
    > the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
    > the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
    > anything in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
    > the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
    > and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
    > suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
    > people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
    > have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
    > client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.
    >


    Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
    have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP successfully,
    then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the problem.

    What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
    emails?

    Duane :)
     
    Duane Arnold, Jun 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:20:52 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    Arnold <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
    >> company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
    >> connection as a result.
    >>
    >> I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
    >> the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
    >> the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
    >> anything in Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
    >> the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
    >> and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
    >> suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
    >> people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
    >> have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
    >> client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.
    >>

    >
    >Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
    >have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP successfully,
    >then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the problem.
    >
    >What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
    >emails?
    >
    >Duane :)


    Hi.

    I am running XP Pro SP1.

    I am getting the message "The page can not be displayed".

    I have not yet configured my Outlook to use the ISPs new settings.
    When I try and use Agent though to receive news via SuperNews I get
    the errror 11004: "error reported by winsock hostname can not be
    found".

    John
     
    John, Jun 24, 2005
    #3
  4. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:20:52 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    > Arnold <> wrote:
    >
    >>John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello.
    >>>
    >>> The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
    >>> company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
    >>> connection as a result.
    >>>
    >>> I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
    >>> the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
    >>> the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
    >>> anything in Internet Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
    >>> the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
    >>> and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
    >>> suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
    >>> people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
    >>> have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
    >>> client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
    >>have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP
    >>successfully, then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
    >>emails?
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    >
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am running XP Pro SP1.
    >
    > I am getting the message "The page can not be displayed".
    >
    > I have not yet configured my Outlook to use the ISPs new settings.
    > When I try and use Agent though to receive news via SuperNews I get
    > the errror 11004: "error reported by winsock hostname can not be
    > found".
    >
    > John



    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316699

    This above is not the same error message but it gives a possible solution to
    your connection problems.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260897

    You want to look at he above link as you may want clear the temp files as
    old pages may be holding on to old connections.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=winsock fix&spell=1

    Duane :)
     
    Duane Arnold, Jun 24, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alex Clarke

    Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch

    Alex Clarke, Oct 15, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    5,844
    Alex Clarke
    Oct 16, 2005
  2. Adam Aglionby

    ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit?

    Adam Aglionby, Aug 24, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,603
  3. adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem

    , Jan 16, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    768
  4. jasee
    Replies:
    57
    Views:
    2,330
  5. LincolnShep
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,879
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Nov 8, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page