ADSL connection details - is this a bad line?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Rosner, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    Downstream: 3136 k
    Upstream: 640k

    Downstream Latency: Interleave
    Upstream Latency: Interleave

    Trellis coding: Enabled
    Loss Of signal: 3527

    Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    Noise Margin: 12.5 dB

    Loss of Frame: 30
    CRC Error: 10620

    I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.

    Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?

    AR
    Adam Rosner, Nov 1, 2006

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Zipper Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > Downstream: 3136 k
    > Upstream: 640k
    >
    > Downstream Latency: Interleave
    > Upstream Latency: Interleave
    >
    > Trellis coding: Enabled
    > Loss Of signal: 3527
    >
    > Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    > Noise Margin: 12.5 dB
    >
    > Loss of Frame: 30
    > CRC Error: 10620
    >
    > I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    > connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    > 2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.
    >
    > Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?
    >
    > AR

    Your line attenuation isn't too bad which is usually indicative of the
    distance to the exchange or the quality of the line. Mine is up at like
    58-62 which is very high. The lower the attenuation the better.

    Some sites say that it is worth getting a central splitter in the house
    isntead of the filters you plugin and it can make a 20% difference in
    the quality of the line. Perhaps something to think about.
    Zipper, Nov 1, 2006

  3. Adam  Rosner

    Zipper Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > Downstream: 3136 k
    > Upstream: 640k
    >
    > Downstream Latency: Interleave
    > Upstream Latency: Interleave
    >
    > Trellis coding: Enabled
    > Loss Of signal: 3527
    >
    > Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    > Noise Margin: 12.5 dB
    >
    > Loss of Frame: 30
    > CRC Error: 10620
    >
    > I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    > connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    > 2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.
    >
    > Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?
    >
    > AR

    Re: attenuation

    10 dB = 1/10th of the power
    20 dB = 1/100th of the power
    30 dB = 1/1,000th of the power.
    40 dB = 1/10,000th of the power.
    50 dB = 1/100,000th of the power.
    60 dB = 1/1,000,000th of the power.

    So if you have a attenuation of 36 you are only receiving like 1
    10,000th of the original signal they sent you..

    better than me, im only receiving 1 millionith of the signal that they
    send me.

    Re SNR

    "SNR: 19dB. SNR stands for Signal to Noise Ratio and is basically the
    difference between the level of the signal being received compared with
    the natural noise level on the line.

    Here, the higher the figure the better. In my case 19dB means that the
    signal I am receiving is almost 100 times stronger than the noise level.

    Noise on your line is caused by many things. Some examples are other
    wires in the cable running alongside your wires, interference from power
    cables, radio signals, higher than normal resistance joints in the
    telephone wires and damp in the wires or cables."

    Now here is the intersting part

    So for an acceptable/stable 2 meg connection you need less than 45dB

    "What levels are acceptable for ADSL service?

    Now you know what the figures above mean, you may be amazed that ADSL
    works at all!!

    To get a reliable service your line needs to meet the following criteria:
    512K Service. There is now no upper limit and BT will attempt than make
    it work on any line if possible.

    1 Meg Services. You need a line loss of less than 60 dB, and so,
    typically, will be no more than 6.0 kilometres from the exchange.

    2 Meg Service. You need a line loss of less than 45 dB which means you
    will be 3.5 Kilometres or less from the exchange.
    The distances from the exchange are based on the average signal losses
    versus line lengths and you may find that even if you are under the
    distance you may still have too much loss for the chosen service.

    Conversely you may also find that even if you are outside the distance
    you may still get the product.

    At the end of the day, it is the important line tests that are done
    after you apply for ADSL that matter."
    Zipper, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Adam  Rosner

    Zipper Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:

    > Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    > Noise Margin: 12.5 dB

    More on SNR
    so I guess your connection is marginal.
    Mine is horrid :)

    "A figure of over 10-12 dB is needed for most ADSL modems/routers to
    function reliably although one should expect a much higher figure, over
    30dB is common. The required Signal to Noise Ratio for reliable
    operation may be in their specification.
    "
    Zipper, Nov 1, 2006
  5. Adam  Rosner

    Donchano Guest

    On 1 Nov 2006 13:37:05 -0800, "Adam Rosner" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Downstream: 3136 k
    >Upstream: 640k
    >
    >Downstream Latency: Interleave
    >Upstream Latency: Interleave
    >
    >Trellis coding: Enabled
    >Loss Of signal: 3527
    >
    >Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    >Noise Margin: 12.5 dB
    >
    >Loss of Frame: 30
    >CRC Error: 10620
    >
    >I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    >connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    >2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.
    >
    >Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?
    >
    >AR

    No answer, but a question. How do you find this information? TIA
    Donchano, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    Donchano wrote:

    > No answer, but a question. How do you find this information? TIA

    My ADSL router has a web server through which it is managed. On the
    home page, I have a link which takes me to a status page, where all
    this information is presented.
    Adam Rosner, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Adam  Rosner

    Zipper Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On 1 Nov 2006 13:37:05 -0800, "Adam Rosner" <>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >> Downstream: 3136 k
    >> Upstream: 640k
    >>
    >> Downstream Latency: Interleave
    >> Upstream Latency: Interleave
    >>
    >> Trellis coding: Enabled
    >> Loss Of signal: 3527
    >>
    >> Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    >> Noise Margin: 12.5 dB
    >>
    >> Loss of Frame: 30
    >> CRC Error: 10620
    >>
    >> I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    >> connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    >> 2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.
    >>
    >> Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?
    >>
    >> AR

    > No answer, but a question. How do you find this information? TIA

    Look in the status/adsl section of your router
    Zipper, Nov 2, 2006
  8. In message <>, Zipper wrote:

    > Some sites say that it is worth getting a central splitter in the house
    > isntead of the filters you plugin and it can make a 20% difference in
    > the quality of the line.

    Surely the splitter _is_ a filter, and it's not going to make a difference
    unless you have more than one filter for more than one phone extension.
    Otherwise one filter in the splitter versus one filter on a single phone
    extension isn't going to make a significant difference.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  9. Adam  Rosner

    Zipper Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Zipper wrote:
    >
    >> Some sites say that it is worth getting a central splitter in the house
    >> isntead of the filters you plugin and it can make a 20% difference in
    >> the quality of the line.

    > Surely the splitter _is_ a filter, and it's not going to make a difference
    > unless you have more than one filter for more than one phone extension.
    > Otherwise one filter in the splitter versus one filter on a single phone
    > extension isn't going to make a significant difference.

    Maybe I picked up the wrong terminology but considering one of the sites
    was from BT I would expect them to know what they are talking about.
    What they were talking about is bypassing the wiring in the house which
    in a lot of cases is low grade and degrades the signal.

    I will try and dig up the link again.
    Zipper, Nov 2, 2006
  10. In message <>, Zipper wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Zipper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some sites say that it is worth getting a central splitter in the house
    >>> isntead of the filters you plugin and it can make a 20% difference in
    >>> the quality of the line.

    >> Surely the splitter _is_ a filter, and it's not going to make a
    >> difference unless you have more than one filter for more than one phone
    >> extension. Otherwise one filter in the splitter versus one filter on a
    >> single phone extension isn't going to make a significant difference.

    > Maybe I picked up the wrong terminology but considering one of the sites
    > was from BT I would expect them to know what they are talking about.
    > What they were talking about is bypassing the wiring in the house which
    > in a lot of cases is low grade and degrades the signal.

    Yeah, OK, that might make sense.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  11. Adam  Rosner

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Zipper wrote:
    >
    >> Some sites say that it is worth getting a central splitter in the house
    >> isntead of the filters you plugin and it can make a 20% difference in
    >> the quality of the line.

    > Surely the splitter _is_ a filter, and it's not going to make a difference
    > unless you have more than one filter for more than one phone extension.
    > Otherwise one filter in the splitter versus one filter on a single phone
    > extension isn't going to make a significant difference.

    that depends on what the house wiring does. I don't know how much of an
    effect reflections have on an ADSL signal but they must have some.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Adam  Rosner

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:45:24 +1300, Zipper <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On 1 Nov 2006 13:37:05 -0800, "Adam Rosner" <>
    >> magnanimously proffered:
    >>
    >>> Downstream: 3136 k
    >>> Upstream: 640k
    >>>
    >>> Downstream Latency: Interleave
    >>> Upstream Latency: Interleave
    >>>
    >>> Trellis coding: Enabled
    >>> Loss Of signal: 3527
    >>>
    >>> Line Attenuation: 36 dB
    >>> Noise Margin: 12.5 dB
    >>>
    >>> Loss of Frame: 30
    >>> CRC Error: 10620
    >>>
    >>> I am experiencing sporadic dropouts and stalls on my internet
    >>> connection, if I run the NZDSL speedtest at non-peak times I get around
    >>> 2100-2300 kbps down, around 450 up.
    >>>
    >>> Have I got a crap line, a crap ISP, both, or unreal expectations?
    >>>
    >>> AR

    >> No answer, but a question. How do you find this information? TIA

    >Look in the status/adsl section of your router

    Ah! Thank you.
    Donchano, Nov 2, 2006