    ADSL card to put into one of my Linux boxes--anybody successfully used one
    of those in NZ?

    Thanks for any ideas.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007

  2. In message <ffc53m$gku$>, I wrote:

    > Another option might be an ADSL card ...

    Or an external USB modem. I see Dick Smith has two models listed, the XH1172
    and the XH9972, of similar price (under $40) and both "reduced to clear".
    The specs for the former mentions a Conexant chipset, while the latter
    mentions "Centragate". Searching my Linux kernel sources turns up several
    entries for Conexant in the "cxacru" driver, but not for Centragate.
    Howveer, Googling for Centragate, the first hit is at--the Conexant site!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ffc53m$gku$>, I wrote:
    >
    >> Another option might be an ADSL card ...

    > Or an external USB modem. I see Dick Smith has two models listed, the XH1172
    > and the XH9972, of similar price (under $40) and both "reduced to clear".
    > The specs for the former mentions a Conexant chipset, while the latter
    > mentions "Centragate". Searching my Linux kernel sources turns up several
    > entries for Conexant in the "cxacru" driver, but not for Centragate.
    > Howveer, Googling for Centragate, the first hit is at--the Conexant site!

    I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    EMB, Oct 20, 2007
  4. In message <4719b673$>, EMB wrote:

    > I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    > bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    > connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    Hey, thanks for that tip. Similar price, too. I might go tomorrow and see if
    the clearance stock has disappeared yet.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007
  5. In message <4719b673$>, EMB wrote:

    > I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    > bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    > connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    Hmm, that would require a machine with 2 Ethernet ports, I think. I'm pretty
    sure I can alias 2 completely different IP addresses to one port, but I
    can't see any way to prevent some other machine in my office from
    accidentally capturing the external IP address being served up by the
    half-bridge DHCP server.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <4719b673$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    >> bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    >> connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    > Hmm, that would require a machine with 2 Ethernet ports, I think.

    It will. Not exactly expensive or rocket science to add a second
    ethernet port though.

    EMB, Oct 20, 2007
  7. In message <>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <4719b673$>, EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    >>> bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    >>> connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    >> Hmm, that would require a machine with 2 Ethernet ports, I think.

    > It will. Not exactly expensive or rocket science to add a second
    > ethernet port though.

    True ... if it weren't for the fact that my Linux boxes are Shuttles. One's
    got a free PCI-E x1 slot, the other has a spare PCI slot, but that's
    already spoken for.

    Actually the boxes do have a second network connection available--namely,
    the FireWire ports. But that seems like a fiddly way to do it.

    I think I'll be giving the USB modem a try.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <4719b673$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> I'd look at XH1173 - it's an router but supports both full and half
    >> bridge modes. Using it in bridge mode will accomplish a NAT-free
    >> connection without needing any strange USB drivers.

    > Hmm, that would require a machine with 2 Ethernet ports, I think. I'm pretty
    > sure I can alias 2 completely different IP addresses to one port, but I
    > can't see any way to prevent some other machine in my office from
    > accidentally capturing the external IP address being served up by the
    > half-bridge DHCP server.

    I am using a dynalink in 1/2 bridge mode with IP cop as the fire wall
    there are no problems. The fire wall does all the work

    Robert Cooze, Oct 21, 2007
  9. In message <ffclqc$rk3$>, I wrote:

    > I think I'll be giving the USB modem a try.

    Well, I got the last XH1172 from the local Dick Smith Powerhouse today. The
    box had already been opened, with a sticker on it saying "NOT NEW --
    IMPERFECT MERCHANDISE -- FULLY SERVICED WITH FULL WARRANTY" and
    under "REASON" was written "Customer did not install properly". Ah well,
    never mind.

    Got it home, had a hunt through the CD for various Windows .exe files, and
    tried running the firmware extraction utility from
    accessrunner.sourceforge.net on them. No joy. Had another look, found a
    file called CNXE2FW.BIN. First few bytes looked like the signature the
    Firmware extraction utility was looking for--bingo! After a bit of
    experimenting and looking over the cxacru.c module in the kernel source,
    figured out it had to be copied to my system under the
    name /lib/firmware/cxacru-fw.bin. Did so. Plugged in the modem, saw the
    usual new-USB-device messages, then

    cxacru_atm_start: CHIP_ADSL_LINE_START returned -104
    ATM dev 0: poll status: error -104

    Sigh. Checked around a bit, found some driver RPMs on the CD for Red Hat 9.0
    and Mandrake 9.2 (yeah, pretty ancient). Unpacked the Red Hat RPM, found
    another firmware file in it, slightly different from the Windows one. Tried
    copying that, then unplugging and replugging the modem. This time I got
    error code -110.

    Did a bit more Googling, checking the SourceForge AccessRunner mailing list
    archive, and came across mentions of firmware problems, and a link to
    another version of the firmware available from a guy named Joerg Mertin
    <https://stargate.solsys.org/mod.php?mod=download&op=view&download_id=33>.
    Oddly, that one was only about 600K in size, versus 2.5MB for the other
    versions. Never mind. Downloaded it, tried it--this time I was getting
    messsages like this:

    ADSL line: down
    ADSL line: attempting to activate
    ADSL line: down
    ADSL line: attempting to activate

    Success! At last, a working version of the firmware. Why didn't the other
    ones work? Who knows.

    That was the physical connection taken care of, next I needed something to
    do PPP-over-ATM. Found that the standard Gentoo ppp package includes this
    as an option. First I had to rebuild my kernel to enable CONFIG_PPPOATM and
    a few other options, which I'd neglected to do in my last kernel upgrade
    (yesterday). That was OK. Then figure out the right configuration for pppd
    to bring up the link--the included documentation was singularly unhelpful
    on this point, apart from indicating that I had to load the "pppoatm"
    plugin module.

    After a bit more Googling, I found this <http://www.lemoncube.com/19.html>,
    which explained that I had to put "0.100" (a "device name" made up from the
    VPI and VCI settings, obviously) after the plugin name. Tried it--success!
    The link came up, and I am now back online through the USB modem.

    Of course, the rest of my office machines can't access the Internet just
    yet. I think I'll move the USB modem to my other box, running OpenSuSE 10.2
    (I just checked, and the SuSE folks were thoughtful enough to include all
    the right options in their kernel already), then figure out the right
    iptables commands to enable NAT through that.

    Then, at some point, I'll get back to what I was originally trying to do,
    which prompted all this messing around--which was make a simple SIP
    connection to ekiga.net...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> [...]

    > plugin module.
    >
    > After a bit more Googling, I found this <http://www.lemoncube.com/19.html>,
    > which explained that I had to put "0.100" (a "device name" made up from the
    > VPI and VCI settings, obviously) after the plugin name. Tried it--success!
    > The link came up, and I am now back online through the USB modem.
    >
    > Of course, the rest of my office machines can't access the Internet just
    > yet. I think I'll move the USB modem to my other box, running OpenSuSE 10.2
    > (I just checked, and the SuSE folks were thoughtful enough to include all
    > the right options in their kernel already), then figure out the right
    > iptables commands to enable NAT through that.
    >
    > Then, at some point, I'll get back to what I was originally trying to do,
    > which prompted all this messing around--which was make a simple SIP

    You should install windows, then you won't have to do all that fucking
    about just to use a USB modem.

    dilberts_left_nut, Oct 29, 2007
  11. In message <>, dilberts_left_nut wrote:

    > You should install windows, then you won't have to do all that fucking
    > about just to use a USB modem.

    I've got it working now, with the machine acting as a router letting my
    other boxes access the Internet via NAT. I've started experimenting with
    firewalling capabilities, including tarpitting incoming password-guessing
    attacks (more fun than blocking them). It's also taken over DHCP service,
    with fixed address assignments for my own machines, and allowing
    for "guest" machines, not part of my regular network (like this strawberry
    G3 iMac I have on loan from a client), to have access to my LAN but not the
    Internet.

    Now, how would you achieve all this with your non-"fucking about" Dimdows
    installation, again?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2007
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, dilberts_left_nut wrote:
    >
    >> You should install windows, then you won't have to do all that fucking
    >> about just to use a USB modem.

    > I've got it working now, with the machine acting as a router letting my
    > other boxes access the Internet via NAT. I've started experimenting with
    > firewalling capabilities, including tarpitting incoming password-guessing
    > attacks (more fun than blocking them). It's also taken over DHCP service,
    > with fixed address assignments for my own machines, and allowing
    > for "guest" machines, not part of my regular network (like this strawberry
    > G3 iMac I have on loan from a client), to have access to my LAN but not the
    > Internet.
    >
    > Now, how would you achieve all this with your non-"fucking about" Dimdows
    > installation, again?

    My router does this too (plus samba, ftp, ssh & vpn) but my point is,
    why bother, buy a modem with ethernet and then spend those "fucking
    about" hours doing something useful with your life.

    dilberts_left_nut, Oct 29, 2007
  13. In message <47259a91$>, dilberts_left_nut wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, dilberts_left_nut wrote:
    >>
    >>> You should install windows, then you won't have to do all that fucking
    >>> about just to use a USB modem.

    >> I've got it working now, with the machine acting as a router letting my
    >> other boxes access the Internet via NAT. I've started experimenting with
    >> firewalling capabilities, including tarpitting incoming password-guessing
    >> attacks (more fun than blocking them). It's also taken over DHCP service,
    >> with fixed address assignments for my own machines, and allowing
    >> for "guest" machines, not part of my regular network (like this
    >> strawberry G3 iMac I have on loan from a client), to have access to my
    >> LAN but not the Internet.
    >>
    >> Now, how would you achieve all this with your non-"fucking about" Dimdows
    >> installation, again?

    > My router does this too (plus samba, ftp, ssh & vpn) but my point is,
    > why bother, buy a modem with ethernet ...

    I already had one, but it didn't do the things I needed to do. Which you
    might have understood if you'd actually read the thread.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <47259a91$>, dilberts_left_nut wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I've got it working now, with the machine acting as a router letting my
    >>> other boxes access the Internet via NAT. I've started experimenting with
    >>> firewalling capabilities, including tarpitting incoming password-guessing
    >>> attacks (more fun than blocking them). It's also taken over DHCP service,
    >>> with fixed address assignments for my own machines, and allowing
    >>> for "guest" machines, not part of my regular network (like this
    >>> strawberry G3 iMac I have on loan from a client), to have access to my
    >>> LAN but not the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> Now, how would you achieve all this with your non-"fucking about" Dimdows
    >>> installation, again?

    >> My router does this too (plus samba, ftp, ssh & vpn) but my point is,
    >> why bother, buy a modem with ethernet ...

    > I already had one, but it didn't do the things I needed to do. Which you
    > might have understood if you'd actually read the thread.

    ....but you cut it all off.

    dilberts_left_nut, Oct 29, 2007
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5739751097b0edbd?

    sam, Oct 29, 2007

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2007
  17. sam wrote:
    > dilberts_left_nut wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I've got it working now, with the machine acting as a router letting my
    >>> other boxes access the Internet via NAT. I've started experimenting with
    >>> firewalling capabilities, including tarpitting incoming
    >>> password-guessing
    >>> attacks (more fun than blocking them). It's also taken over DHCP
    >>> service,
    >>> with fixed address assignments for my own machines, and allowing
    >>> for "guest" machines, not part of my regular network (like this
    >>> strawberry
    >>> G3 iMac I have on loan from a client), to have access to my LAN but
    >>> not the
    >>> Internet.
    >>>
    >>> Now, how would you achieve all this with your non-"fucking about"
    >>> Dimdows
    >>> installation, again?

    >> My router does this too (plus samba, ftp, ssh & vpn) but my point is,
    >> why bother, buy a modem with ethernet and then spend those "fucking
    >> about" hours doing something useful with your life.

    > http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5739751097b0edbd?

    Fair enough then.
    But the post I replied to was just tooo big a target :)

    dilberts_left_nut, Oct 29, 2007
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    dilberts_left_nut wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >> dilberts_left_nut wrote:

    >>> My router does this too (plus samba, ftp, ssh & vpn) but my point is,
    >>> why bother, buy a modem with ethernet and then spend those "fucking
    >>> about" hours doing something useful with your life.

    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5739751097b0edbd?

    > Fair enough then.
    > But the post I replied to was just tooo big a target :)

    I think we probably have enough flamers, thanks for your audition.

    sam, Oct 29, 2007