ADSL & Cable - How to share printer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rob, May 16, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi,

    Using XP pro on several PC.

    I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a Cable
    company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for VOIP and
    the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to connect their
    laptops. However, at present they don't output their work to a network
    print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and this is
    connected to a router and switch where we have two printers connected which
    we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my notebook.

    What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the option
    via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on the ADSL
    Lan.

    Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support in
    setting up.

    Regards, Rob

    Rob, May 16, 2007

  2. Rob

    Lem Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Using XP pro on several PC.
    >
    > I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a Cable
    > company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for VOIP and
    > the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to connect their
    > laptops. However, at present they don't output their work to a network
    > print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and this is
    > connected to a router and switch where we have two printers connected which
    > we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my notebook.
    >
    > What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the option
    > via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on the ADSL
    > Lan.
    >
    > Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support in
    > setting up.
    >
    > Regards, Rob

    It sounds as if you have two separate wireless local networks:
    1. cable box to wireless router to to wifi-equipped kid's laptops
    and
    2. DSL modem to wireless router to switch to two printers, study
    computer and Dad's wifi-equipped notebook.

    Why don't the kids just connect to wifi network 2 when they want to print?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, May 16, 2007

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Lem,

    I agree your suggestion would work but the Cable router is some distance
    away from the ADSL wiFi and rather than Access Points, it seemed top be an
    option to somehow connect the two networks as they both have hardwired
    connections.

    I'm sure there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for?

    Ta, Rob

    Rob, May 17, 2007
  4. Rob

    Lem Guest

    Rob,

    I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to achieve or what you mean
    by "connect the two networks." If what you are thinking of is having
    the kids send their print jobs out to the Internet through the cable ISP
    connection, through the Internet cloud to your DSL ISP, and then back to
    Dad's network where the printer is, there is more than one way to
    achieve this. If that's not what you want to do, ignore the rest of
    this post.

    You could set up a VPN between your two networks. See, e.g.,
    http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=428701&rl=1

    Or you could use Windows' Internet Protocol Printing feature. This
    capability is available in Windows XP, although I personally have never
    tried it.

    Here's what Windows Help & Support says about IPP:
    ***********************
    Connect to an Internet or intranet printer.

    Using a printer’s URL allows you to connect to a printer across the
    Internet, provided you have permission to use that printer. If you
    cannot connect to the printer using the general URL format below, please
    see your printer's documentation or contact your network administrator.

    Click Connect to a printer on the Internet or on your intranet.
    Type the URL to the printer using the following format:
    http://printserver_name/Printers/share_name/.printer
    ************************

    There are several steps.

    First, you must install Windows Internet Information Service (IIS) on
    the computer to which the printer is connected.

    Next, you must be able to determine the public IP address of your DSL
    connection. Because most DSL ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses, you can
    either determine your current external IP by going to a website such as
    http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ and then manually get this info from
    Dad's computer to the kids' computer or you can use a dynamic DNS
    service, such as DynDNS.

    Finally, because Dad's computer is on a local network behind a router,
    you must configure the router to not block the IPP protocol (TCP port
    631) and to open or forward port TCP port 631 to the local IP address of
    the Print Server.

    All of that seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth, but if you
    want to try it, there's a lot of info to be found by Googling for
    "internet printing" or "internet printing protocol". Also look in Help
    and Support and search the MS Knowledge Base.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307847
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313058&sd=tech

    Rob wrote:
    > Lem,
    >
    > I agree your suggestion would work but the Cable router is some distance
    > away from the ADSL wiFi and rather than Access Points, it seemed top be an
    > option to somehow connect the two networks as they both have hardwired
    > connections.
    >
    > I'm sure there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for?
    >
    > Ta, Rob
    >
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Using XP pro on several PC.
    >>>
    >>> I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a
    >>> Cable company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for
    >>> VOIP and the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to
    >>> connect their laptops. However, at present they don't output their work
    >>> to a network print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and
    >>> this is connected to a router and switch where we have two printers
    >>> connected which we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my
    >>> notebook.
    >>>
    >>> What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the
    >>> option via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on
    >>> the ADSL Lan.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support
    >>> in setting up.
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Rob

    >> It sounds as if you have two separate wireless local networks:
    >> 1. cable box to wireless router to to wifi-equipped kid's laptops
    >> and
    >> 2. DSL modem to wireless router to switch to two printers, study computer
    >> and Dad's wifi-equipped notebook.
    >>
    >> Why don't the kids just connect to wifi network 2 when they want to print?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, May 17, 2007