    Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    is it a total failure or total success situation?

    Thanks.

    darkknight, Jun 26, 2006

  2. darkknight

    J Brockley Guest

    "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    > told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    > broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    > borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    > something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    > with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    > Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    > is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    > Thanks.

    A lot depends on the cable between the exchange and you. I'm approx 4.3k
    away and was getting upto 1.4mb at one stage though now it seems to be stuck
    below 500k.
    Probably indicates you can't go wrong with a 256k plan but may not get the
    most out of a higher one. I went for the higher one more so that if any
    traffic controls applied the bandwidth allocation would be based on a 3.5mb
    plan as opposed to a 256k plan.

    J Brockley, Jun 26, 2006

  3. darkknight

    PeeCee Guest

    > I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    > told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    > broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    > borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    > something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    > with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    > Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    > is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have a client that is also near the distance limit.
    With a self install kit Broadband was only there 50% of the time so we got
    the Telecom filter installed.
    The Tech that came and did the job said if he'd assessed the line the first
    time round he would have 'failed' it.
    However being a Stud with the need to send Photo's and Video's of Horses in
    work etc the owner was keen to try anyway.

    With the Telecom filter we can get 2Mbit when it's connected, but it is not
    100% reliable, particlarly with another two phones on the line (via their
    own plug in filters) What I have found in this particular case is leaving
    the ADSL modem off until the Computer is needed results in the Broadband
    usually being available for the duration of each computing session.

    FWIW
    Best luck
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 26, 2006
  4. darkknight

    XPD Guest

    > I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    > told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    > broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    > borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    > something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    > with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    > Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    > is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It'll be a central filter they'll be wanting to install. Just a warning....
    when they install these, you are limited to that one phone point for your
    connection. It wont work on any other phone point in the house..... as I
    discovered after doing some renovating and moving the office to a different
    room. Thankfully I'm on wireless so not a biggie for me.

    As for connection quality, depends on your lines and your ISP. Im on good
    lines, 3.5mb plan but I dont get anywhere near 3.5mb downloads due to
    ISP/Telecom issues.

    XPD, Jun 26, 2006
  5. darkknight

    Paul W Guest

    darkknight <> wrote:

    >I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    >told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    >broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    >borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    >something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    >with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    >Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    >is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Getting the splitter installed will give you a better connection and
    should stop drop offs
    Someone from the group posted a link to a line speed chart. I dont
    have the link But my printout says you may get a 3.8meg connection
    Depends on what type of cable your on and if there are any multiples
    <ie if the cable is connected to another road>
    If the install is below 2megs you can cancell at no charge
    Max distance for nz adsl is about 5.5ks
    Hope that helps
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    Paul W, Jun 26, 2006
  6. darkknight

    Stuart Guest

    > I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    > told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    > broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    > borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    > something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    > with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    > Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    > is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As an aside, is there a list of exchange locations available on the net
    somewhere? I'd like to know just how far away I am from my exchange, but
    being new to the area I don't have a clue where it is.

    Thanks,

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 26, 2006
  7. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:20:08 +1200, "Stuart"
    <> wrote:

    >"darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    >> told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    >> broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    >> borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    >> something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    >> with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >>
    >> Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    >> is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >As an aside, is there a list of exchange locations available on the net
    >somewhere? I'd like to know just how far away I am from my exchange, but
    >being new to the area I don't have a clue where it is.

    Apparently there's no list, but you can check this link
    http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=68518&page=3

    Also, Telecom will probably tell you if you ask.

    darkknight, Jun 26, 2006
  8. darkknight

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:58:38 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >With the Telecom filter we can get 2Mbit when it's connected, but it is not
    >100% reliable, particlarly with another two phones on the line (via their
    >own plug in filters) What I have found in this particular case is leaving
    >the ADSL modem off until the Computer is needed results in the Broadband
    >usually being available for the duration of each computing session.

    Why are you using plug in filters if you have a telecom installed line filter?

    Craig Shore, Jun 26, 2006

  9. >>
    >>As an aside, is there a list of exchange locations available on the net
    >>somewhere? I'd like to know just how far away I am from my exchange, but
    >>being new to the area I don't have a clue where it is.

    There is no public available list, but they are pretty easy to find if you
    go looking around the neighbour hood.. The ones I know about usually have
    4-5 Contractor Vans outside of them in the Mornings :)

    Saying that, knowing where the exchange is won't help alot of people as all
    your know is line of sight distance,, and without knowing where the wires
    go..
    The best estimate is by looking at your connection speed (obtainable) and
    your attenuation and guessing.

    Craig
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 26, 2006
  10. On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:15:19 +1200, darkknight
    <> wrote:

    >I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    >told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    >broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    >borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    >something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    >with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    >Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    >is it a total failure or total success situation?
    >
    >Thanks.

    As well as having the central filters installed, you should make sure
    that the ADSL router box you use is powered from a 24 volt supply. The
    specs for ADSL are such that you can make it work with a 12 volt
    supply, but with the available chipsets, you do that by not using a
    full range signal. That limits performance. With a 24 V supply, your
    router should be using the full signaling range and have a much better
    chance of a good connection.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 26, 2006
  11. darkknight

    Peter Guest

    darkknight wrote:
    > I'm considering getting broadband internet with Telecom and they've
    > told me that I'm 4.1 km from the exchange and borderline for good
    > broadband operation, but they think it'll be ok. Because of the
    > borderline-ness I have to pay $150 for them to do some wiring -
    > something to do with making sure the phone jack point isn't shared
    > with another jack point (I forget what exactly).
    >
    > Am I likely to end up with a poor/intermittent broadband connection or
    > is it a total failure or total success situation?

    ADSL connection quality is very dependent on the distance along the wire to
    the exchange, and on the quality of the wire and connections along the way.
    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

    We live almost 3km from the Telecom exchange (about 5km wire length) and get
    connection speeds of 64 to 128 kbps (as reported by the router). It
    doesn't drop out, though. This is a newish area of a regional city, so
    Telecom is missing out on lots of keen customers and their teenage kids.
    The Telecom technician told me that there were plenty of businesses that
    simply can't get ADSL connection at all.

    Of course, if NZ had a decent infrastructure, there would be fibre out to
    neighbourhood repeaters, which would supply short high quality connections
    to customers.

    Good luck with your connection.

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 26, 2006
  12. darkknight

    EMB Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Of course, if NZ had a decent infrastructure, there would be fibre out to
    > neighbourhood repeaters, which would supply short high quality connections
    > to customers.

    My ADSL is fed from a roadside cabinet about 600m of copper from my
    house. The copper is that old and shitty that I still get occasional
    connection problems that Telecom have to sort out. A decent spend on
    upgrading the local loop might be necessary in parallel with your
    sugegstion.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jun 27, 2006
  13. darkknight

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > There is no public available list, but they are pretty easy to find if you
    > go looking around the neighbour hood.. The ones I know about usually have
    > 4-5 Contractor Vans outside of them in the Mornings :)

    Especially on a Monday morning in these parts...

    Stu Fleming, Jun 27, 2006
  14. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    Thanks for the replies and good wishes. That's very helpful.

    darkknight.

    darkknight, Jun 27, 2006
  15. darkknight

    PeeCee Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:58:38 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>With the Telecom filter we can get 2Mbit when it's connected, but it is
    >>not
    >>100% reliable, particlarly with another two phones on the line (via their
    >>own plug in filters) What I have found in this particular case is leaving
    >>the ADSL modem off until the Computer is needed results in the Broadband
    >>usually being available for the duration of each computing session.

    > Why are you using plug in filters if you have a telecom installed line
    > filter?

    Improves the broadband availability.

    All determined by experiment but without the phones on the line broadband
    was mostly reliable (ish)
    Plug the two phones in (a requirement of the owner) and the broadband was
    decidely flakey.
    Adding a plug in filter to each phone gave just that little bit extra
    isolation and made BB 'good enough' though still needing a reset quite often
    hence the 'leave it off till needed comment'.

    In general I've found a lot of the horse people I look after find the
    unbundling talk laughable.
    They quite rightly point out that what they want is 'availablilty' not
    blinding speed.
    The crazy thing is, others nearby do get excellent broadband, simply because
    there is a roadside dslam between them and the exchange in town.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 27, 2006
  16. darkknight

    > Thanks for the replies and good wishes. That's very helpful.
    >
    > darkknight

    One other thing, watch out for DLink as its seems reliability is not that
    great. I'm back up to 1.5mb from ~500k just by swapping the router. A friend
    gets 1.2mb at ~7k from the exchange which is what made me have a serious
    look at what was wrong with my connection.

    J Brockley, Jun 28, 2006
  17. darkknight

    Stuart Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    >>>As an aside, is there a list of exchange locations available on the net
    >>>somewhere? I'd like to know just how far away I am from my exchange, but
    >>>being new to the area I don't have a clue where it is.

    > There is no public available list, but they are pretty easy to find if you
    > go looking around the neighbour hood.. The ones I know about usually have
    > 4-5 Contractor Vans outside of them in the Mornings :)
    >
    > Saying that, knowing where the exchange is won't help alot of people as
    > all your know is line of sight distance,, and without knowing where the
    > wires go..
    > The best estimate is by looking at your connection speed (obtainable) and
    > your attenuation and guessing.
    >
    > Craig
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Thanks for the tips guys. I found out that I was on the Mt Albert exchange
    when I couldn't connect to the net on Wednesday night :)

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 29, 2006