ADSL and monitored alarm...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    monitored alarm system.

    Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    ring).

    I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?

    Set-up options
    Connection onlyFree
    until 31 October 2009
    AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    use in your house
    No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    Connection & Wiring$199.00
    until 31 October 2009
    AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    does not reach your wall.
    A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    exchange.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2009

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...
    > What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    > monitored alarm system.
    >
    > Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    > ring).
    >
    > I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    > will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
    >

    > Set-up options
    > Connection onlyFree
    > until 31 October 2009
    > AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    > - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    > connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    > use in your house
    > No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    > connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    > to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    > machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    > Connection & Wiring$199.00
    > until 31 October 2009
    > AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    > system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    > does not reach your wall.
    > A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    > visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    > exchange.

    https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,10627,205730-
    204473,00.html?action=/modem&select=216

    for the details I copied.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2009

  3. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    > monitored alarm system.
    >
    > Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    > ring).
    >
    > I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    > will "do stuff" for $199.  I'm wondering what they do?
    >
    > Set-up options
    > Connection onlyFree
    > until 31 October 2009
    > AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    > - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    > connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    > use in your house
    > No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    > connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    > to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    > machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    >  Connection & Wiring$199.00
    > until 31 October 2009
    > AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    > system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    > does not reach your wall.
    > A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    > visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    > exchange.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    an ADSL filter you should be fine.
    JohnO, Sep 30, 2009
  4. Dave Doe

    greg Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    >> monitored alarm system.
    >>
    >> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    >> ring).
    >>
    >> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    >> will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
    >>
    >> Set-up options
    >> Connection onlyFree
    >> until 31 October 2009
    >> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    >> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    >> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    >> use in your house
    >> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    >> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    >> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    >> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    >> Connection & Wiring$199.00
    >> until 31 October 2009
    >> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    >> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    >> does not reach your wall.
    >> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    >> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    >> exchange.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan.

    > The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    > or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    > an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
    filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
    the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
    the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
    jack points.

    Greg
    greg, Sep 30, 2009
  5. On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:39:57 +1300, greg <> wrote:

    >JohnO wrote:
    >> On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    >>> monitored alarm system.
    >>>
    >>> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    >>> ring).
    >>>
    >>> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    >>> will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
    >>>
    >>> Set-up options
    >>> Connection onlyFree
    >>> until 31 October 2009
    >>> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    >>> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    >>> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    >>> use in your house
    >>> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    >>> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    >>> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    >>> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    >>> Connection & Wiring$199.00
    >>> until 31 October 2009
    >>> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    >>> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    >>> does not reach your wall.
    >>> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    >>> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    >>> exchange.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Duncan.

    >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    >The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
    >filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
    >the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
    >the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
    >jack points.
    >
    >Greg

    If you have Sky digital I think they will already have installed the
    filter like that. The Sky box apparently has to be able to phone
    home, and is installed like the monitored alarms are. Or if you are
    also wanting Sky, get them to do the install and they will do the
    filter and you save on $199 to Telecom. I believe Sky installs are
    free at the moment. You can also get quotes from other phone
    installer companies to do the job, likely for less than $199.
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 30, 2009
  6. Dave Doe

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Sep 30, 2009
  7. Dave Doe

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 30, 2:30 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >

    > > What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    > > monitored alarm system.

    > > Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    > > ring).

    > > I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    > > will "do stuff" for $199.  I'm wondering what they do?

    > > Set-up options
    > > Connection onlyFree
    > > until 31 October 2009
    > > AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    > > - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    > > connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    > > use in your house
    > > No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    > > connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    > > to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    > > machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    > >  Connection & Wiring$199.00
    > > until 31 October 2009
    > > AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    > > system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    > > does not reach your wall.
    > > A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    > > visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    > > exchange.

    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    > or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    > an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    Sorry for the 'misfire'.

    I may be wrong but the phone pair might loop via the alarm box so the
    alarm signal can be sent without interference.

    In a few cases I have used an ordinary plug through filter to isolate
    all the jackpoints. I install a 'E' (or 2 wire) jackpoint on the
    incoming pair and plug the filter into that. I then join an old phone
    lead to the rest of the wiring (connect two wires only) and plug it
    into the filter.If is near the DSL modem you plug the DSL modem into
    the filter. It overcomes the four or so phone limit. Otherwise you
    would need to sort out a bit of extra wiring. If you have ye olde 3-
    wire wiring you will need one (and only one) 'M' jack after the
    filter.
    peterwn, Sep 30, 2009
  8. On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:02 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <>
    wrote in

    > On Sep 30, 2:30 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    >> On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
    >>> monitored alarm system.

    >>> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
    >>> ring).

    >>> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
    >>> will "do stuff" for $199.  I'm wondering what they do?

    >>> Set-up options
    >>> Connection onlyFree
    >>> until 31 October 2009
    >>> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
    >>> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
    >>> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
    >>> use in your house
    >>> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
    >>> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
    >>> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
    >>> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
    >>>  Connection & Wiring$199.00
    >>> until 31 October 2009
    >>> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
    >>> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
    >>> does not reach your wall.
    >>> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
    >>> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
    >>> exchange.

    >>> --
    >>> Duncan.

    >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    I have just checked with a friend who is a telecom tech and does these sorts
    of installs for a living.
    He informs me that such installations require a splitter (which is basically
    an industrial-strength filter) adjacent to the point of entry and separate
    wiring from the unfiltered side of the splitter to dedicated ADSL connection
    points within he building. From the output (filtered) side of the splitter
    are run the normal telephone jacks and the alarm connection (which, by
    convention, is the first connection in that circuit).

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 30, 2009
  9. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    34.nz56.remove_numbers says...
    > On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:39:57 +1300, greg <> wrote:
    >
    > >JohnO wrote:

    > >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    > >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    > >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    > >The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
    > >filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
    > >the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
    > >the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
    > >jack points.
    > >
    > >Greg

    > If you have Sky digital I think they will already have installed the
    > filter like that. The Sky box apparently has to be able to phone
    > home, and is installed like the monitored alarms are. Or if you are
    > also wanting Sky, get them to do the install and they will do the
    > filter and you save on $199 to Telecom. I believe Sky installs are
    > free at the moment. You can also get quotes from other phone
    > installer companies to do the job, likely for less than $199.

    Thanks Stephen...

    Hey guess what. I've been in touch, and Sky is being upgraded tomorrow
    (um... today :) - Thursday - from the old UHF to digital - as it's being
    discontinued, for free! Hence, a sky installer will be out tomorrow
    (Thursday).

    So I guess I should suggest I be there, to talk to the sky installer and
    see what we can get wired up. ! :)

    Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
    installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
    that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
    to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
    "internet".

    I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
    (but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.

    I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
    (jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
    on).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2009
  10. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > Hey guess what. I've been in touch, and Sky is being upgraded tomorrow
    > (um... today :) - Thursday - from the old UHF to digital - as it's being
    > discontinued, for free! Hence, a sky installer will be out tomorrow
    > (Thursday).
    >
    > So I guess I should suggest I be there, to talk to the sky installer and
    > see what we can get wired up. ! :)
    >
    > Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
    > installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
    > that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
    > to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
    > "internet".
    >
    > I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
    > (but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.
    >
    > I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
    > (jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
    > on).

    There's no real point in what you suggest Duncan. Although in theory it
    will work (as the alarm does indeed use "phone" frequencies) what you
    have suggested will not give good ADSL results.

    If your house is wired with 2 pair cable then filtering before the alarm
    and running voice on 1 pair and ADSL on the second pair will work - you
    just need to only add a jackpoint to the second pair where you want to
    place the ADSL modem.
    EMB, Sep 30, 2009
  11. Dave Doe

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 30, 7:19 pm, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:02 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <>
    > wrote in

    > >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
    > >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
    > >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

    > I have just checked with a friend who is a telecom tech and does these sorts
    > of installs for a living.
    > He informs me that such installations require a splitter (which is basically
    > an industrial-strength filter) adjacent to the point of entry and separate
    > wiring from the unfiltered side of the splitter to dedicated ADSL connection
    > points within he building.  From the output (filtered) side of the splitter
    > are run the normal telephone jacks and the alarm connection (which, by
    > convention, is the first connection in that circuit).

    Unfortunately the 'splitters' cost a fortune and in any case are not
    available at the retail level (DSE, Jaycar etc). That is why I use an
    ordinary plug through filter as a 'splitter'. Presumably the proper
    'splitters' are less prone to failure than the plug through filters
    but the functionality is the same. If a plug through gilter used as a
    'splitter' fails, it is easily replaced with another.
    peterwn, Sep 30, 2009
  12. On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:34:58 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote in

    [snip for brevity]

    > Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
    > installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
    > that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
    > to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
    > "internet".

    Yes, that sounds reasonable to me.

    > I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
    > (but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.

    Yes. As far as the 'phone home' thing goes, I don't know - but it seems
    likely for testing purposes. It would probably depend on the policy and
    procedures of the monitoring company.

    > I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
    > (jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
    > on).

    Hence the preference (requirement?) to use a splitter rather than individual
    filters in such an installation. I am subject to correction on this, but I
    would expect burglar alarms to usually be hard-wired into the system, but
    medical alarms would more likely plug in to a standard phone jack.

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 30, 2009