    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese

    RecylerMan, Oct 27, 2003

  2. RecylerMan

    harry Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:45:44 +1300, RecylerMan wrote:

    > I am thinking of going to adsl from Ihug I am a ultra customer alredy
    > but I have two options I get a adsl modem for the Linux server e-smith
    > 5.1 or I get a router I think that usb is not an option as i would have
    > to ad a USB card to my server so what adsl modems are there that are PCI
    > and woirk with linux might have to upgrade my server to redhat9 {if needed)
    >
    > the router option looks easy at first but will limit my options in as I
    > am using the linux box as fire wall server and mail server now I could
    > put another NIC in it and still use it or rely on the router as a fire
    > wall and install kerio on each box on my network.
    >
    > comments and segestions

    To keep it simple get the router and plug it into a second NIC on the
    e-smith box, set it to DHCP and continue with your current setup.
    That way you retain all of your options. You can plug anything directly
    into the router if you want, and you can retain the facility to revert to
    the e-smith dial on demand.
    If you decide you want to rebuild your e-smith box, you still have
    a net connection with the router.

    harry, Oct 27, 2003

  3. RecylerMan

    RecylerMan Guest

    harry wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:45:44 +1300, RecylerMan wrote:
    >

    >>I am thinking of going to adsl from Ihug I am a ultra customer alredy
    >>but I have two options I get a adsl modem for the Linux server e-smith
    >>5.1 or I get a router I think that usb is not an option as i would have
    >>to ad a USB card to my server so what adsl modems are there that are PCI
    >>and woirk with linux might have to upgrade my server to redhat9 {if needed)
    >>
    >>the router option looks easy at first but will limit my options in as I
    >>am using the linux box as fire wall server and mail server now I could
    >>put another NIC in it and still use it or rely on the router as a fire
    >>wall and install kerio on each box on my network.
    >>
    >>comments and segestions

    > To keep it simple get the router and plug it into a second NIC on the
    > e-smith box, set it to DHCP and continue with your current setup.
    > That way you retain all of your options. You can plug anything directly
    > into the router if you want, and you can retain the facility to revert to
    > the e-smith dial on demand.
    > If you decide you want to rebuild your e-smith box, you still have
    > a net connection with the router.

    from what I could see that looks like the best option so now to find the
    best router one that can be port opened as requiered... to get a modem
    in to it looks expencive and touch and go as for DHCP ill leave the
    server doing that have the router set to a IP and point the esmith box
    to that as I have alredy set ruls for staic IP's on my network ....

    RecylerMan, Oct 28, 2003
  4. RecylerMan

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:43:36 +1300, RecylerMan
    <0.nz> wrote:

    >harry wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:45:44 +1300, RecylerMan wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am thinking of going to adsl from Ihug I am a ultra customer alredy
    >>>but I have two options I get a adsl modem for the Linux server e-smith
    >>>5.1 or I get a router I think that usb is not an option as i would have
    >>>to ad a USB card to my server so what adsl modems are there that are PCI
    >>>and woirk with linux might have to upgrade my server to redhat9 {if needed)
    >>>
    >>>the router option looks easy at first but will limit my options in as I
    >>>am using the linux box as fire wall server and mail server now I could
    >>>put another NIC in it and still use it or rely on the router as a fire
    >>>wall and install kerio on each box on my network.
    >>>
    >>>comments and segestions

    >> To keep it simple get the router and plug it into a second NIC on the
    >> e-smith box, set it to DHCP and continue with your current setup.
    >> That way you retain all of your options. You can plug anything directly
    >> into the router if you want, and you can retain the facility to revert to
    >> the e-smith dial on demand.
    >> If you decide you want to rebuild your e-smith box, you still have
    >> a net connection with the router.
    >>

    >from what I could see that looks like the best option so now to find the
    >best router one that can be port opened as requiered... to get a modem
    >in to it looks expencive and touch and go as for DHCP ill leave the
    >server doing that have the router set to a IP and point the esmith box
    >to that as I have alredy set ruls for staic IP's on my network ....

    Geez RM, don;t you do punctuation? Hehe!

    You can get an external router that has ethernet ports eg DSL504 which
    I have. I've opened ports to my machines behind it, so I know it can
    be done. You could also set the DMZ option and switch off NAT to bring
    the traffic to an internal FW box, but I've not tried that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Oct 28, 2003