ADSL almost dead

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Aaron Lawrence, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. I see that Xtra are having major problems with ADSL. It occasionally
    works but usually doesn't. I'm using dialup at the moment.

    Aaron Lawrence, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Aaron Lawrence

    EMB Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > I see that Xtra are having major problems with ADSL. It occasionally
    > works but usually doesn't. I'm using dialup at the moment.

    Micro-outages have been very regular and quite long on ihug ADSL the
    last few days too.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Aaron Lawrence

    David Butler Guest

    It seems to be very slow lately, if we start a 12kb download, my jetstarter
    grinds to a hult and will not do anything else until the download completes,
    no where near the 128kb that it's supposed to be.

    We have just requested an upgrade to the 256k, maybe it will happen one day
    soon.

    David Butler, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    Tim Guest

    "David Butler" <> wrote in

    > It seems to be very slow lately, if we start a 12kb download, my
    > jetstarter grinds to a hult and will not do anything else until the
    > download completes, no where near the 128kb that it's supposed to be.
    >
    > We have just requested an upgrade to the 256k, maybe it will happen
    > one day soon.

    We are on 256k, but for ~15 hours yesterday we appeared to be downgraded to
    128k max, and quite frequently got less than that (I was getting 100B/s for
    a while there). Even JetstreamGames was affected - 16k/s max there too.
    What was really weird was that for about 1.5 hours, the IP we were assigned
    was on the Iprolink network, and a traceroute showed we were in fact going
    through their network. Bit strange for a World-net customer ;)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Aaron Lawrence

    John Guest

    > I see that Xtra are having major problems with ADSL. It occasionally
    > works but usually doesn't. I'm using dialup at the moment.

    I wonder when Tele$om, or if, they will release ADSL2.

    John, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    Enkidu Guest

    Downloads are usually measured in kiloBytes/second, whereas bandwidths are
    usually measured in kilobits/second. Make sure that you are using the same
    measures.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 1, 2004
  7. John wrote:
    > I wonder when Tele$om, or if, they will release ADSL2.

    ~10 years after we expect it. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 1, 2004
  8. Aaron Lawrence

    steve Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > I see that Xtra are having major problems with ADSL. It occasionally
    > works but usually doesn't. I'm using dialup at the moment.

    Must be an Auckland thing.

    No problems here in the Manawatu.

    steve, Aug 2, 2004
  9. hey if you are using dial up they will bill you for it. I wonder if they
    still bill for dialup when the adsl is down.

    Jed Meisterdude, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Dave.net.nz: will synaptic wireless broadband ever launch in Dunedin?
    I haven't received a reply to the e-mail I sent more than a week ago
    and your websites are down. Can you enlighten me?

    Thanks,

    Geoffrey

    Geoffrey Miller, Aug 2, 2004