Adsafe After Scanning My Pc versus Norton Security Suite

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Heidi Manway, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Adsafe After Scanning My Pc versus Norton Security Suite
    This is what I got after scanning with the Lavasoft Software Is it
    worth investing in the Realtime version of this software Is ErrorGuard
    Spyware because I paid for this myself possible false pos
    itive?

    RE: Adsafe After own scan Norton Security

    Heidi Manway, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Heidi Manway

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Heidi Manway

    peecee Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:
    > Adsafe After Scanning My Pc versus Norton Security Suite
    > This is what I got after scanning with the Lavasoft Software Is it
    > worth investing in the Realtime version of this software Is ErrorGuard
    > Spyware because I paid for this myself possible false pos
    > itive?
    >
    > RE: Adsafe After own scan Norton Security
    > >

    > >>Ad-Aware SE Build
    > >>Logfile Created on:18 January 2007 Created with Ad-Aware SE
    > >>Personal, free for private use.
    > >>Using definitions file: 17.01.2007
    > >>
    > >>References detected during the scan:
    > >>BlazeFind(TAC index:5):2 total references
    > >>ErrorGuard(TAC index:7):19 total references
    > >>Holystic-Dialer(TAC index:5):65 total references
    > >>IEHIjacker.SearchExe(TAC index:6):4 total references
    > >>Possible Browser Hijack attempt(TAC index:3):2 total references
    > >>searchwww.hijacker(TAC index:8):2 total references
    > >>Tracking Cookie(TAC index:3):1 total references
    > >>Virtumonde(TAC index:10):1 total references
    > >>
    > >>Ad-Aware SE Settings
    > >>===========================
    > >>Set : Search for negligible risk entries
    > >>Set : Safe mode (always request confirmation)
    > >>Set : Scan active processes
    > >>Set : Scan registry
    > >>Set : Deep-scan registry
    > >>Set : Scan my IE Favorites for banned URLs
    > >>Set : Scan my Hosts file
    > >>
    > >>Extended Ad-Aware SE Settings
    > >>

    > >**************************************************************************
    > >
    > >Sorry It does seem to be an oversight on my behalf its Freeware BUT
    > >what is the Red Cross "Adwatch Status Not Available Click Here To
    > >Upgrade ?
    > >it links you to a payment site do I need to buy this is it
    > >adviseably
    > >>Heidi

    Heidi

    I note this is one of several posts to nz.comp you have made about
    Virus's,
    Spyware and scan programs in the last few days.

    May I offer the following thoughts on the topics you've raised.

    1 From the Googling I've done Error Guard looks very suspect, I
    would
    trust Ad-Aware on this one.
    2 It is generally best to only install one Anti Virus at a time.
    3 Which Anti Virus product is the best (paid vs free) is open to
    debate.
    4 Norton and McAfee have a reputation for being bloat ware and for
    dragging your PC's performance down.
    5 In my opinion the 'best' Anti Virus/Spyware program is the one
    that is
    up to date and detects Virus's/Spywares that appear on your PC. i.e.
    the
    'best' is no dam good if it doesn't detect a nasty because it's
    subscription
    ran out.
    6. Anti Spyware products are many and varied, a large number of them
    are
    Scam's
    7 This site is regarded as an honest guide to Anti Spyware programs
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/
    8 The practical difference between paid and free Anti Spyware
    products is
    usually Auto update/realtime scan facilities, your choice.
    9 Several Anti Spyware programs are usually recognised as being
    better
    than one.

    Which all boils down to:

    AVG or Avast with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster & Windows defender.
    Pros: Free, Programs written for more altruistic reasons, Many of the
    free
    one's are recommended by hands on professionals. (i.e. the people that
    actually have to clean this crap off PC's)
    Cons: Require more hands on management & scanning, unofficial support
    only.

    Norton/McAfee/Sophos/Trend/....(etc) + your pick of the paid for Anti
    Spyware products.
    Pros:They do the job (?) automatically (?), you have some support.
    Cons: They Cost and cost and cost..., Many are bloatware, Paid is no
    guarantee they are any good. Paid is no guarantee there is good
    support.

    May I suggest you 'Google'. eg 'Error Guard any good?' and take a
    sampling
    of users feedback to gauge the effectiveness of any product.

    Best
    Paul.
    peecee, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Heidi Manway

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:

    Heidi,

    Please pick a fusking group and stick to it. It's considered bad form to
    crosspost to so many groups. Not only that but it's pissing *me* off, hence
    no help from me.

    HAND.
    --
    Shaun.