    XP does not need any other software for this device according to its manual.

    Has anyone run across the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers
    S.N., Sep 17, 2004

  2. S.N.

    Thor Guest

    "S.N." <> wrote in message
    news:zqI2d.15426$...
    > Bought ADS USB 2.0 drive kit. Tried 3 different hard drives in it:
    >
    > Western Digital - Caviar 1210
    > Maxtor N256
    > Conner CFS420A
    >
    > All could be found in the Device Manger but all did not show up as a new
    > drive letter.
    >
    > I am running XP Pro with a 2.0 g/htz Celeron processor with 256 megs of
    > ram.
    >
    > I've been the their website but there was really nothing there to help me.
    > XP does not need any other software for this device according to its
    > manual.

    are the drives brand new or unpartitioned? Try going to the disk management
    section of the administrative tools in the control panel, and see what the
    status of the drives are.
    Thor, Sep 18, 2004

  3. S.N.

    Bradley26 Guest

    Yes, Im also trying to find out about this, seems to be a common predicament

    Bradley26, Sep 20, 2004
  4. S.N.

    Me Guest

    Actually I have had the opposite experience -- they work flawlessly.
    (I have 6 of them hooked up to my computer through a USB2 hub ).
    However, the hard drives have to be formatted and partitioned just
    like any other hard drive you might install in your computer. In Win
    XP, this is done (to any drive other than the boot drive) by going to
    Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Pull
    down your "View" menu, then choose Top > Disk List and Bottom >
    Graphical View. You'll find your unformatted disk in the top view
    (it'll say Disk x (where x is a certain number), and the file system
    will say "Basic". Go to the corresponding disk on the bottom
    Graphical view, right click within the little bar beside the disk
    name, and choose "Format." It'll ask you what drive letter(s) you
    want to assign, how you want to partition it, what name you want to
    give the volume(s), and then format the disk. Go eat dinner, go to
    the grocery store, or whatever you need to do that will take about
    20-60 minutes (depending on the size of the drive), and when you get
    back, it will show up in My Computer, ready to accept information.

    Just an aside -- 256MB of RAM is really on the low side for Windows
    XP. You should consider investing in at least another 256MB.

    --
    It isn't whether you win or lose, it's where you
    place the blame.
    Me, Sep 29, 2004