Adobe update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:55:44 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

    > > > they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes

    > > > up, they didn't **** up.

    > > > and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after

    > > > all.

    > > There are three possibilities.

    > > Adobe has filed a 10K for the FYE 11/30/2013;

    > > You have disclosed inside information;

    > > You are bullshitting.

    > > I can't imagine which of the above is correct.

    > don't imagine too hard, because you are talking out your ass again.
    >

    > unlike you, i pay attention to the tech industry.
    >

    > <http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/us-adobe-results-idUSBRE95H19
    >
    > 020130618>
    >
    > (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc, which makes the Photoshop and Acrobat
    >
    > software, reported a higher-than-expected adjusted quarterly profit
    >
    > as demand rose for Creative Cloud, the subscription-based version of
    >
    > its flagship software package.

    Not that it's adjusted ......

    and further down
    ----------------------------
    Net income fell to $76.5 million, or 15 cents per share, in the second quarter, from $223.9 million, or 45 cents per share, a year earlier.

    Excluding items, earnings were 36 cents per share.

    Revenue fell 10 percent to $1.01 billion.

    Analysts on average had expected earnings of 33 cents per share on revenue of $1.01 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

    A rapid adoption of a subscription model tends to lower revenue in the short term as fees are collected monthly, instead of upfront one-time payment.

    > Adobe has been shifting to web-based subscription service Creative
    >
    > Cloud from a licensing model since last year. The company said it
    >
    > added 221,000 paid Creative Cloud subscribers in the latest quarter,
    >
    > taking the total to 700,000.

    nice round figures those.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 25, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/24/2013 10:11 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> don't imagine too hard, because you are talking out your ass again.
    >>>
    >>> unlike you, i pay attention to the tech industry.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/us-adobe-results-idUSBRE95H19
    >>> 020130618>
    >>> (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc, which makes the Photoshop and Acrobat
    >>> software, reported a higher-than-expected adjusted quarterly profit
    >>> as demand rose for Creative Cloud, the subscription-based version of
    >>> its flagship software package.
    >>>
    >>> Adobe has been shifting to web-based subscription service Creative
    >>> Cloud from a licensing model since last year. The company said it
    >>> added 221,000 paid Creative Cloud subscribers in the latest quarter,
    >>> taking the total to 700,000.
    >>>

    >> So you rely on others. I rely on the 10K. It's a lot more reliable.

    > that would also be relying on others.

    You may trust magazine articles that accepts ads from Adobe. It has no
    effect on my life.
    The SEC exists for a reason. You do what you want. I hate to see someone
    reading this make an investment based upon a most likely biased magazine
    article.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 25, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c9b0bc$0$3782$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> So you rely on others. I rely on the 10K. It's a lot more reliable.

    > > that would also be relying on others.

    > You may trust magazine articles that accepts ads from Adobe. It has no
    > effect on my life.

    it's not an ad.

    > The SEC exists for a reason. You do what you want. I hate to see someone
    > reading this make an investment based upon a most likely biased magazine
    > article.

    i'm not making an investment.

    i'm reporting facts, the ones you refuse to acknowledge.

    creative cloud subscriptions are growing. that's just how it is.

    nospam, Jun 25, 2013
  4. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 2:23 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> that would also be relying on others.

    >> You may trust magazine articles that accepts ads from Adobe. It has no
    >> effect on my life.

    > it's not an ad.
    >
    >> The SEC exists for a reason. You do what you want. I hate to see someone
    >> reading this make an investment based upon a most likely biased magazine
    >> article.

    > i'm not making an investment.
    >
    > i'm reporting facts, the ones you refuse to acknowledge.
    >
    > creative cloud subscriptions are growing. that's just how it is.

    Again you twist. The issue is Adobe making more money. Every time yu get
    caught, you try t change the subject.
    BTW spending $29 for business software is an investment.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 25, 2013
  5. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c9ea22$0$3759$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> You may trust magazine articles that accepts ads from Adobe. It has no
    > >> effect on my life.

    > > it's not an ad.
    > >
    > >> The SEC exists for a reason. You do what you want. I hate to see someone
    > >> reading this make an investment based upon a most likely biased magazine
    > >> article.

    > > i'm not making an investment.
    > >
    > > i'm reporting facts, the ones you refuse to acknowledge.
    > >
    > > creative cloud subscriptions are growing. that's just how it is.

    > Again you twist.

    again you lie. i'm not twisting *anything*.

    > The issue is Adobe making more money. Every time yu get
    > caught, you try t change the subject.

    caught at what exactly? i said subscriptions are up, and they're up.
    you asked me how i knew and i provided a link.

    if anyone is caught lying and twisting, it's you.

    your feeble attempt to bash me failed, so you resort to bringing up
    irrelevant things such as making an investment or that it was some sort
    of ad (which it definitely is not). nobody with even the slightest clue
    would consider that an ad.

    you don't like being proven wrong, so you lie and twist and then try to
    blame it on me. disgusting.

    > BTW spending $29 for business software is an investment.

    what does that have to do with anything?

    nospam, Jun 25, 2013
  6. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 3:48 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> it's not an ad.

    >>> i'm not making an investment.
    >>>
    >>> i'm reporting facts, the ones you refuse to acknowledge.
    >>>
    >>> creative cloud subscriptions are growing. that's just how it is.

    >> Again you twist.

    > again you lie. i'm not twisting *anything*.
    >
    >> The issue is Adobe making more money. Every time yu get
    >> caught, you try t change the subject.

    > caught at what exactly? i said subscriptions are up, and they're up.
    > you asked me how i knew and i provided a link.
    >
    > if anyone is caught lying and twisting, it's you.
    >
    > your feeble attempt to bash me failed, so you resort to bringing up
    > irrelevant things such as making an investment or that it was some sort
    > of ad (which it definitely is not). nobody with even the slightest clue
    > would consider that an ad.
    >
    > you don't like being proven wrong, so you lie and twist and then try to
    > blame it on me. disgusting.
    >
    >> BTW spending $29 for business software is an investment.

    > what does that have to do with anything?

    You are so anxious to bash, that you twist.
    I don't think you even understand what the term "investment" means, I am
    tired of responding to you asinine statements.\
    EOD

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 25, 2013
  7. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51ca1cad$0$3773$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> Again you twist.

    > > again you lie. i'm not twisting *anything*.
    > >
    > >> The issue is Adobe making more money. Every time yu get
    > >> caught, you try t change the subject.

    > > caught at what exactly? i said subscriptions are up, and they're up.
    > > you asked me how i knew and i provided a link.
    > >
    > > if anyone is caught lying and twisting, it's you.
    > >
    > > your feeble attempt to bash me failed, so you resort to bringing up
    > > irrelevant things such as making an investment or that it was some sort
    > > of ad (which it definitely is not). nobody with even the slightest clue
    > > would consider that an ad.
    > >
    > > you don't like being proven wrong, so you lie and twist and then try to
    > > blame it on me. disgusting.
    > >
    > >> BTW spending $29 for business software is an investment.

    > > what does that have to do with anything?

    > You are so anxious to bash, that you twist.

    i'm not twisting a thing. you asked how i knew adobe's sales were up
    and i told you.

    you on the other hand, are lying and twisting like it's going out of
    style. you try to claim it's an ad when it's not even close to an ad,
    or that a 10k filing would be more credible, completely ignorant of the
    fact that it was an sec fling, making it as reliable as what you claim
    you wanted.

    you are so intent on bashing me that you make an utter fool of
    yourself. you can't deal with facts, so you bash. sad.

    > I don't think you even understand what the term "investment" means, I am
    > tired of responding to you asinine statements.\

    then don't.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  8. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:34:08 PM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

    > > > not really. cs6 and earlier were cracked too. there is always going to

    > > > be piracy.

    > > But on the first day, what if they change the way they do things and screw it

    > > up for those that have paid, wouldn't be the fist time.

    > they have a responsibility to make it work for paying customers.

    yes they do, but a higher responsibilty is that it keeps working and they don;t try to shut it off because of piracy as they did with CS2.
    You can;t always predict th future by looking at the past, but sometimes you can predict the future based on the past.

    > > Maybe yoiu need to find out why they turned of thier activation servers for

    > > CS2 could be that it wasn;t working very well could it. They did say

    > > technical issues now long's CS2 been out 8 years and they can't solve the

    > > technical issue(s) ? doesn;t lok good when ntheir new solution tom piracy

    > > fails in a day, if that is the case haven't seen it confirmed yet.

    > i told you, it's because the number of people activating a new copy for
    >
    > something that old is for all intents, zero.

    So you forget all your current customers.

    > it wasn't worth it to keep
    >
    > the servers running,

    How much does it cost to keep a server running they never mentioned cost they said technical issues.

    >so they opened up activation for existing owners
    >
    > who might need to move it to a new machine (which is also essentially
    >
    > zero).

    CS2 won;t work on new machines will it.

    > > > unlike cs6 and earlier, however, not all features will work because

    > > > some require connecting to adobe's servers and that would be unwise to

    > > > do with a cracked copy.

    > > depends how well it has been cracked I assume and teh way it has been done.

    > it doesn't matter how well it's been cracked.

    It does acciording to adobe who lose money.

    > the collaborative features will need to have a valid account, and a
    >
    > pirated app won't have that. that part of the suite will not work.

    That part of the app would not worry me, and I doubt it will bother most people that are likely to pirate the software.

    > and if it pings adobe's servers, adobe will know there's a pirated app
    >
    > from a certain ip address.

    Yes if it pings Adobe my CS2 CS3 CS4 CS5 CS5.5, never got the chance to ping adobe.

    > > > it's not just one company.

    > > So lots of compoanies rather than just adobe will have do follow this model

    > > before I'll calll it a trend, it's an idea that's been tried and failed,

    > > tried and failed.

    > lots of companies *are* following this model. it's nothing new and it's
    >
    > growing.

    I heard the samae about hardware dongels that was growing too, somewhere I still have a turbo C dongle.
    If a compnay can find a relible system of anti-piracy then it will take off, but as yet I don't thinkk they have and yes lots are trying it they always have.

    Whether or not subscription will work comes down to not just the technically side but whether or not the user wants it.

    > > > the only thing that's shrinking are legacy computers. the rest is

    > > > growing at a rapid pace, notably mobile.

    > > Not the sort of thing that CS will run on though is it and I doubt many pro

    > > users will go over to mobile phones and edit with CS as theor main income,

    > > nut then again maybe it will, or the pros slowley die out like film has for

    > > most purposes.

    > cs as it exists now doesn't run on tablets or phones, but that doesn't
    >
    > mean a future product won't.

    If they do adobe might need to change it's licencing again.
    People subscribing to the software might expect it to work on a desktop, laptop and mobile device, presently adobe only allow you two devices.
    Why I'm not sure. (well I sort of know but don't agree)

    And if you don't agree to the T&Cs, you should buy the product should you. :)

    > already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    >
    > devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    >
    > the desktop.

    Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    Whisky-dave, Jun 26, 2013
  9. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    > > The issue is Adobe making more money. Every time yu get

    > > caught, you try t change the subject.

    > caught at what exactly? i said subscriptions are up, and they're up.
    >
    > you asked me how i knew and i provided a link.

    Which showed the wieghted subscriptions whatever that means.

    I don't doubt they are going up but without a proper comparision it's pretty meaningless.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 26, 2013
  10. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/26/2013 6:38 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:34:08 PM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

    <snip>

    >> already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    >>
    >> devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    >>
    >> the desktop.

    > Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    > Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
    Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
    are lots of other programs. As I said earlier, trying to turn a product
    into a service is still an experiment.
    nospam has problems distinguishing products from services.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 26, 2013
  11. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | > they have a responsibility to make it work for paying customers.
    |
    | yes they do, but a higher responsibilty is that it keeps working and they
    don;t try to shut it off because of piracy as they did with CS2.
    | You can;t always predict th future by looking at the past, but sometimes
    you can predict the future based on the past.

    It's still online, with valid serial numbers:
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

    In addition, Adobe never says it's not legal to download.
    They only say they don't recommend using "unsupported"
    software and that the downloads *should* only be used
    by people who bought the product. The tone of the statement
    is not legal. It's more like, "This stuff is too old to be usable.
    We don't recommend that you try to use it unless you're
    already doing so."
    Others have pointed out that the click-through license
    in the download says the software is legal to use if one
    got it from Adobe. So Adobe is giving away CS2, rather
    than cutting people off from it.

    It looks to me like either they really do have a technical
    problem, probably due to some lack of foresight, or, more
    likely, that they just don't want to deal with CS2 anymore
    and figure that giving it away to people running XP might
    get them some paying customers down the road, after
    those people get used to using Adobe tools. Either way,
    they've at least provided a way for CS2 customers to
    get a backup and working serial number if they want it.
    Adobe doesn't owe anyone more than that.

    ...Which is not to recommend using software that requires
    activation online. That's always going to carry some risk.

    Mayayana, Jun 26, 2013
  12. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:54:55 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | > they have a responsibility to make it work for paying customers.
    >

    > | yes they do, but a higher responsibilty is that it keeps working and they
    >
    > don;t try to shut it off because of piracy as they did with CS2.
    >
    > | You can;t always predict th future by looking at the past, but sometimes
    >
    > you can predict the future based on the past.
    >

    > It's still online, with valid serial numbers:
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

    Yes I know but why put serial numbers up ? (I know)

    > In addition, Adobe never says it's not legal to download.

    But it's up there to download.

    > They only say they don't recommend using "unsupported"
    >
    > software and that the downloads *should* only be used
    >
    > by people who bought the product.

    Yes it makes sense to a certain extent.
    Not sure what they mean by unsupported as I've never had a legal copy of CS..

    > The tone of the statement
    >
    > is not legal. It's more like, "This stuff is too old to be usable.
    >
    > We don't recommend that you try to use it unless you're
    >
    > already doing so."
    >
    > Others have pointed out that the click-through license
    >
    > in the download says the software is legal to use if one
    >
    > got it from Adobe. So Adobe is giving away CS2, rather
    >
    > than cutting people off from it.

    No, what it is doing is scrapping it's CS" servers because of technical issues.
    It doesn;t cost much to run a server so I doubt it's financial concern of running a server.
    It's not giving anything away, what they are doing as appologiing to CS2 users that the licence server has shutdown, so this is what you can do to still use the software you brought and thought you could use.
    The license servers were there so legitimate users could use the product they brought I assume otherwise why have them.

    > It looks to me like either they really do have a technical
    >
    > problem, probably due to some lack of foresight,

    Lack of foresight for 8 years.

    > or, more
    >
    > likely, that they just don't want to deal with CS2 anymore
    >
    > and figure that giving it away to people running XP might
    >
    > get them some paying customers down the road, after
    >
    > those people get used to using Adobe tools. Either way,
    >
    > they've at least provided a way for CS2 customers to
    >
    > get a backup and working serial number if they want it.
    >
    > Adobe doesn't owe anyone more than that.

    I agree, but why can;t they keep the server running if it's been running for 8 years another 1 or 2 years shouldn't be that difficult or costly.
    For me that would question their ability in keeping the next gen subscription server up and running.

    > ...Which is not to recommend using software that requires
    >
    > activation online. That's always going to carry some risk.

    Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    Or do adobe think they'll too much ?
    Most compuyers that are over 3 years old won;t run it anyway and those thatr too it'll be like a demo mode adn if you want the lastest features subscribe to our latest product, with every copy of CS2 downloaded they could give you an e-voucher or something.

    But then again adobe has been know to piss of those paying customers, luckily I've never had that problem.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 26, 2013
  13. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .

    It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    as a marketing scheme. They just don't want to advertise
    it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    they never would have posted the installers in the first place.
    (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    sure you can activate it.)

    It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    Mayayana, Jun 26, 2013
  14. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kqf5s5$ag7$>, says...

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    > >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    > as a marketing scheme. They just don't want to advertise
    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.
    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    > to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    > sure you can activate it.)
    >
    > It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    > buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    > I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    > The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    Then there's the issue of try before buy.

    Way backalong I needed to prepare a report with a lot of equations in
    it. Lotus Manuscript had just come out and was supposed to have that
    capability, but I had some questions about how it operated and wanted to
    try it. Lotus had a demo but the demo disk had printing disabled, so I
    couldn't tell how the output looked. So I called Lotus and asked them
    what could be done about this. They said contact an authorized Lotus
    dealer and gave me some names in the area. One of them had a copy in
    stock and over the phone said that they could demo it for me. So I made
    an appointment, drove over an hour to their location, waited an hour
    while the person I talked to got out of his meeting, and then was told
    that I had to buy it before they would "demonstrate" it and that having
    bought it and found that it was unsatisfactory I would not be able to
    return it. I asked him why he had told me that he could demo it when I
    talked to him on the phone, and having gotten no satisfactory response I
    told him what he and the water lily he rode in on could do, dropped by
    home for my Selectric symbol element, and prepared the thing using a
    Selectric instead.

    I could have just called Blackbeard the Pirate (not what we really
    called him--names have been changed to protect the guilty) who I am sure
    had a cracked copy (if he didn't have a cracked copy it would be the
    only thing of which he didn't have a cracked copy) but it was for the
    company and I was trying to stay strictly legal.

    J. Clarke, Jun 26, 2013
  15. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <kqf5s5$ag7$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    > >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    > as a marketing scheme.

    it's not a marketing scheme.

    it was a financial decision to shut down the servers for an app that
    hasn't been sold in a long time and won't run on any current hardware.

    why would anyone come up with a marketing scheme for obsolete software?

    > They just don't want to advertise
    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,

    they say that it's for legitimate owners. they trust people will do the
    right thing.

    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.

    maintaining the server costs money.

    the whole point is that it's no longer worth it for an app that won't
    run on any current hardware. those servers are better used for more
    important things, such as *current* activations.

    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    > to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    > sure you can activate it.)

    many companies will replace lost media to the registered owner,
    including adobe. however, they may not have older versions anymore.

    <http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/obtain-replacement-cd
    s-dvds-manuals.html>
    If you are the registered owner of an Adobe product, then you're
    eligible to obtain replacement DVDs or documentation for that
    product, if available.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  16. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > > > But on the first day, what if they change the way they do things and
    > > > screw it up for those that have paid, wouldn't be the fist time.

    > > they have a responsibility to make it work for paying customers.

    > yes they do, but a higher responsibilty is that it keeps working and they
    > don;t try to shut it off because of piracy as they did with CS2.

    the only thing they shut down was cs2 activations, and they offered a
    way to activate it without the activation servers. it's not a big
    deal.

    > > > Maybe yoiu need to find out why they turned of thier activation servers
    > > > for CS2 could be that it wasn;t working very well could it. They did say
    > > > technical issues now long's CS2 been out 8 years and they can't solve the
    > > > technical issue(s) ? doesn;t lok good when ntheir new solution tom piracy
    > > > fails in a day, if that is the case haven't seen it confirmed yet.

    > > i told you, it's because the number of people activating a new copy for
    > > something that old is for all intents, zero.

    > So you forget all your current customers.

    it doesn't affect any current customers.

    > > it wasn't worth it to keep the servers running,

    > How much does it cost to keep a server running they never mentioned cost they
    > said technical issues.

    more than they can justify.

    the hardware can be put to much better use than waiting for the
    occasional activation of a decade old app that won't run on anything
    current.

    > >so they opened up activation for existing owners
    > > who might need to move it to a new machine (which is also essentially
    > > zero).

    > CS2 won;t work on new machines will it.

    it won't, which is why shutting off the activation server doesn't
    actually matter anymore. anyone who wants it has already bought it, or
    bought one of its successors or a even competing product.

    and when i said move to a new machine, i meant a compatible one. people
    buy and sell used computers all the time. not everyone needs or can
    afford the latest and greatest hardware. if the machine on which
    they're running it fails, they might buy another off ebay, and would
    need to transfer the activation. not a common scenario but it could
    happen.

    > > > depends how well it has been cracked I assume and teh way it has been
    > > > done.

    > > it doesn't matter how well it's been cracked.

    > It does acciording to adobe who lose money.

    they've only lost money if they lost a sale.

    someone who pirates it might not have bought it.

    > > the collaborative features will need to have a valid account, and a
    > > pirated app won't have that. that part of the suite will not work.

    > That part of the app would not worry me, and I doubt it will bother most
    > people that are likely to pirate the software.

    a major part of creative cloud is the collaborative features and
    someone who pirates it won't get that.

    > > and if it pings adobe's servers, adobe will know there's a pirated app
    > > from a certain ip address.

    > Yes if it pings Adobe my CS2 CS3 CS4 CS5 CS5.5, never got the chance to ping
    > adobe.

    it pings, but this is about creative cloud which *has* to ping to find
    out if it's a valid copy.

    > > > So lots of compoanies rather than just adobe will have do follow this
    > > > model before I'll calll it a trend, it's an idea that's been tried and failed,
    > > > tried and failed.

    > > lots of companies *are* following this model. it's nothing new and it's
    > > growing.

    > I heard the samae about hardware dongels that was growing too, somewhere I
    > still have a turbo C dongle.
    > If a compnay can find a relible system of anti-piracy then it will take off,
    > but as yet I don't thinkk they have and yes lots are trying it they always
    > have.

    nothing is perfect.

    they just have to make it more of a hassle than paying for it.

    apple was very successful with the itunes music store because 99 cents
    for a song was easier than trying to find a copy for free somewhere and
    then getting a crap quality copy.

    on the other hand, when software costs hundreds or thousands of
    dollars, it can worth the effort to find a serial number or cracked
    copy.

    saving $1000 for a few minutes of work is a better deal than saving a
    buck.

    > Whether or not subscription will work comes down to not just the technically
    > side but whether or not the user wants it.

    users want it.

    > > cs as it exists now doesn't run on tablets or phones, but that doesn't
    > > mean a future product won't.

    > If they do adobe might need to change it's licencing again.
    > People subscribing to the software might expect it to work on a desktop,
    > laptop and mobile device, presently adobe only allow you two devices.
    > Why I'm not sure. (well I sort of know but don't agree)

    nobody expects the desktop version of creative cloud to work on an ipad
    or phone.

    adobe is going to offer *different* apps for tablets/phones, and
    they're going to work with the desktop versions.

    one possibility is make initial edits on the ipad and then continue
    working on the laptop at home, without having to sync.

    > > already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    > > devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    > > the desktop.

    > Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    > Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    all iphone/ipad apps can be installed to an unlimited number of ipads
    or iphones.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  17. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51cada31$0$3740$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    > >> devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    > >> the desktop.

    > > Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    > > Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    > Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
    > Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
    > are lots of other programs.

    nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

    furthermore, what i said isn't a prediction. adobe has said they're
    working on mobile apps that will work with the cloud.

    you're talking out your ass, again.

    > As I said earlier, trying to turn a product
    > into a service is still an experiment.

    it's not an experiment at all. plenty of companies have been doing it
    for many years.

    the only 'experiment' was creative cloud over the past year. adobe was
    satisfied with the results (and it exceeded their expectations), so for
    all intents, the 'experiment' already happened and was a success.

    > nospam has problems distinguishing products from services.

    nonsense. i know the difference quite well, much more than you do from
    what i can tell.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  18. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 17:50:57 UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    >
    > as a marketing scheme.

    I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

    "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products."

    >They just don't want to advertise

    if that were true why incluse the above ?

    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    >
    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number,

    So the test in red isnl;t a warning ?

    > and
    >
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.

    Why not if they have screwed their paid up users surely they should offer a replacement.

    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    >
    > to replace a lost CD.

    It should be if they are selling a license rather than a product.
    No one is asking themn to supply a CD.
    But they should have such a system in place to replace damaged or no functioning CDs at a reasonable cost of materials.

    > It's only their responsibility to make
    >
    > sure you can activate it.)

    Which you can't because
    Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue.

    > It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    >
    > buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    >
    > I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    >
    > The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    Pity adobe don;t think that way.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2013
  19. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    | > as a marketing scheme.
    |
    | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

    Yes. I posted the link, remember? :)

    | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
    legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
    use of these products."

    | >They just don't want to advertise
    |
    | if that were true why incluse the above ?

    To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
    to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term. In context
    the implication is that "should" means the software is no
    longer suitable for use. There's no need to sign up or ID
    oneself. And as I noted earlier, reports say that the
    EULA click-through states that the software is legal to
    use if it was obtained from Adobe.

    *So there is nothing in the download or install indicating
    that use of the product might be illegal or unauthorized.*

    I'm just reporting the facts. You can read it as you like.

    Mayayana, Jun 27, 2013
  20. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 27 June 2013 14:37:09 UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    >
    > | > as a marketing scheme.
    >

    > | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    >
    > | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/
    >

    > Yes. I posted the link, remember? :)
    >

    > | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
    >
    > legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
    >
    > use of these products."
    >

    > | >They just don't want to advertise
    >

    > | if that were true why incluse the above ?
    >

    > To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
    >
    > to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term.

    What do you mean by that it's just a word.
    It's as legal as any other word.

    >In context
    >
    > the implication is that "should" means the software is no
    >
    > longer suitable for use.

    Where did you get that idea.

    > There's no need to sign up or ID
    >
    > oneself. And as I noted earlier, reports say that the
    >
    > EULA click-through states that the software is legal to
    >
    > use if it was obtained from Adobe.

    Not sure what's meant by that, where else could one buy Adobe products ?
    Or are you saying adobe products brought at retail stores are illegal or any on-line vender, or are you just refering to CS2 ?

    > *So there is nothing in the download or install indicating
    >
    > that use of the product might be illegal or unauthorized.*

    Then why does it say this on the front page of the adobe site for CS2.
    "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products. "

    So who legitimately purchased CS2 , adobe have no idea it seems.
    It uses teh word customers have you a problem with the legality of that word too ?

    > I'm just reporting the facts. You can read it as you like.

    you are NOT reproting FACTS.

    I DO NOT believe Adobe wants those that have not paid for the sorftware (called CS2) to be able to use a 'free' copy of CS2 by downloading it from adobe or anywhere else.

    I DO NOT believe that Adobe would deny anyone the use of CS2 if they purchased it at a store or on-line .

    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2013