Adobe update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/22/2013 12:38 AM, nospam wrote:

    >>> apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >>> subscription based software.

    >> Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    >> started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    >> a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
    >>
    >> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    > microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.
    >
    > others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    > gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    > radio, new york times, amazon and many more.
    >
    > <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    > SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    > delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    > as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    > functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    > account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

    Carbonite is a back-up storage service. it can only be billed periodically.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 22, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c62074$0$3811$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    > > subscription based software.

    > So either you are a marketing genius, or you have a lemming like follow
    > the herd mentality.

    neither.

    just someone who pays attention to the tech industry.
    nospam, Jun 23, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c6212a$0$3751$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    > > microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.
    > >
    > > others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    > > gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    > > radio, new york times, amazon and many more.
    > >
    > > <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    > > SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    > > delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    > > as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    > > functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    > > account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

    > Carbonite is a back-up storage service. it can only be billed periodically.

    in other words, subscription.

    did you have a point here?
    nospam, Jun 23, 2013
  4. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/22/2013 8:33 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.
    >>>
    >>> others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    >>> gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    >>> radio, new york times, amazon and many more.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    >>> SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    >>> delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    >>> as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    >>> functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    >>> account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

    >> Carbonite is a back-up storage service. it can only be billed periodically.

    > in other words, subscription.
    >
    > did you have a point here?

    Describe how you would price a periodic storage service. your example
    irrelevant.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 23, 2013
  5. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:33:55 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <51c62074$0$3811$-secrets.com>, peternew
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >> > subscription based software.

    >> So either you are a marketing genius, or you have a lemming like follow
    >> the herd mentality.

    >neither.

    Well, I'd already ruled out one of the two.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  6. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c64857$0$3787$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> Carbonite is a back-up storage service. it can only be billed periodically.

    > > in other words, subscription.
    > >
    > > did you have a point here?

    > Describe how you would price a periodic storage service. your example
    > irrelevant.

    what matters is that it's subscription based, versus a one-time payment.

    you proved the point i was making.
    nospam, Jun 23, 2013
  7. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/22/2013 11:39 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> in other words, subscription.
    >>>
    >>> did you have a point here?

    >> Describe how you would price a periodic storage service. your example
    >> irrelevant.

    > what matters is that it's subscription based, versus a one-time payment.
    >
    > you proved the point i was making.

    You really have a fragile ego.
    Your point had absolutely nothing to do with services. It was about
    Adobe trying ot turn a product into a service.
    hat is hardly an industry trend. It is an experiment, the results of
    which have yet to be determined.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 23, 2013
  8. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/23/2013 11:13 AM, peternew wrote:
    > On 6/22/2013 11:39 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> Describe how you would price a periodic storage service. your example
    >>> irrelevant.

    >> what matters is that it's subscription based, versus a one-time payment.
    >>
    >> you proved the point i was making.
    >>

    > You really have a fragile ego.
    > Your point had absolutely nothing to do with services. It was about
    > Adobe trying ot turn a product into a service.
    > hat is hardly an industry trend. It is an experiment, the results of
    > which have yet to be determined.

    the last sentence should read: "That is hardly an industry trend. It is

    peternew, Jun 23, 2013
  9. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 11:13:21 -0400, peternew <>
    wrote:

    >On 6/22/2013 11:39 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> Describe how you would price a periodic storage service. your example
    >>> irrelevant.

    >> what matters is that it's subscription based, versus a one-time payment.
    >>
    >> you proved the point i was making.
    >>

    >You really have a fragile ego.
    >Your point had absolutely nothing to do with services. It was about
    >Adobe trying ot turn a product into a service.
    >hat is hardly an industry trend. It is an experiment, the results of
    >which have yet to be determined.

    I think you've put your finger on the problem I've been struggling
    with. Adobe has made a product available only (for future versions)
    by subscription. All the rest of the subscriptions I'm aware of are
    for services or access. Adobe's venture is quite different from the
    other subscription-required offerings. To say it represents a trend
    seems premature to me.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  10. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c71087$0$3815$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > Your point had absolutely nothing to do with services. It was about
    > Adobe trying ot turn a product into a service.
    > hat is hardly an industry trend. It is an experiment, the results of
    > which have yet to be determined.

    they're not the only ones moving to the subscription model. that makes
    it a trend.

    <http://press.pwc.com/GLOBAL/News-releases/cloud-software-as-a-service-a
    nd-mobile-trends-redefine-the-software-industry/s/4132d3fb-3594-48f1-9c7
    1-e4f76a0fc6be>
    Perpetual license revenue has been shrinking since 2004 while
    subscription revenue (including SaaS) is forecast to grow at a 17.5%
    compounded annual rate, reaching 24% of total software revenue by
    2016. Software companies are now closely evaluating aspects of their
    business models, including delivery methods, pricing strategies and
    sales compensation options.
    nospam, Jun 23, 2013
  11. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > I think you've put your finger on the problem I've been struggling
    > with. Adobe has made a product available only (for future versions)
    > by subscription. All the rest of the subscriptions I'm aware of are
    > for services or access.

    nope, not all.

    > Adobe's venture is quite different from the
    > other subscription-required offerings. To say it represents a trend
    > seems premature to me.

    not to anyone who pays attention to the industry, especially with
    mobile devices growing like crazy, it isn't.
    nospam, Jun 23, 2013
  12. nospam <> wrote:

    > <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    > SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    > delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    > as a whole

    from 1.000 USD/month to 2.000 USD/month is doubling and
    growing *really* fast ... and outpacing a lot of billion
    dollar/month enterprises.

    > and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    > functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    > account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

    Assuming a lot of things.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 23, 2013
  13. Mayayana <> wrote:

    > SaaS itself. Microsoft has been buying ads on the back
    > page of the NYT business section to announce that
    > "CompanyX is on Office 365". The other day it was
    > Toyota. But we don't know how much Toyota uses
    > O365. And we don't know whether MS might be
    > essentially paying them to use it. We don't even know
    > much about O365, because MS is clearly worried primarily
    > about credibility. It's like a car ad that brags "lots of
    > people are buying this car",

    No, it's like the car ad that brags "Starlet X has bought the
    car" (for someone they don't like much and who uses it when
    their bike is in the garage for repairs).

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 23, 2013
  14. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:09:35 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

    > > >with_no_boxed_wares/

    > > > For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe

    > > >CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some

    > > >people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate

    > > >them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is

    > > >out of the question.

    > > Honestly, it's physically painful to see this kind of stupidity on

    > > display. What part of "you fucked up" don't they understand?

    > if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

    They aren't selling though it's subscription. ;-P.

    if it's been cracked after a day that could cause problems.
    If adobe change they way subscriptions are handled every month this many piss off genuine users who pay their subs and can;t get the software.
    Others might find out how to crack it themselves and do so.

    If my cat asks nicely I may donwload a copy for her tomorrow if it is out there.

    > > Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox

    > > insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a

    > > start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some

    > > morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >
    > subscription based software.

    Who is 'the industry' nowerdays it used to be MS.
    While the computer industry is reducing in numbers.
    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2013
  15. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > > > Honestly, it's physically painful to see this kind of stupidity on
    > > > display. What part of "you fucked up" don't they understand?

    > > if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

    > They aren't selling though it's subscription. ;-P.

    they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes
    up, they didn't **** up.

    and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after
    all.

    > if it's been cracked after a day that could cause problems.

    not really. cs6 and earlier were cracked too. there is always going to
    be piracy.

    unlike cs6 and earlier, however, not all features will work because
    some require connecting to adobe's servers and that would be unwise to
    do with a cracked copy.

    > If adobe change they way subscriptions are handled every month this many piss
    > off genuine users who pay their subs and can;t get the software.
    > Others might find out how to crack it themselves and do so.

    why would they change it every month?

    > > > Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    > > > insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    > > > start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    > > > morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    > > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    > > subscription based software.

    > Who is 'the industry' nowerdays it used to be MS.

    it's not just one company.

    > While the computer industry is reducing in numbers.

    the only thing that's shrinking are legacy computers. the rest is
    growing at a rapid pace, notably mobile.
    nospam, Jun 24, 2013
  16. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/24/2013 2:53 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

    >> They aren't selling though it's subscription. ;-P.

    > they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes
    > up, they didn't **** up.
    >
    > and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after
    > all.

    There are three possibilities.
    Adobe has filed a 10K for the FYE 11/30/2013;
    You have disclosed inside information;
    You are bullshitting.

    I can't imagine which of the above is correct.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 25, 2013
  17. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c8d780$0$3820$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> They aren't selling though it's subscription. ;-P.

    > > they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes
    > > up, they didn't **** up.
    > >
    > > and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after
    > > all.

    > There are three possibilities.
    > Adobe has filed a 10K for the FYE 11/30/2013;
    > You have disclosed inside information;
    > You are bullshitting.
    >
    > I can't imagine which of the above is correct.

    don't imagine too hard, because you are talking out your ass again.

    unlike you, i pay attention to the tech industry.

    <http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/us-adobe-results-idUSBRE95H19
    020130618>
    (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc, which makes the Photoshop and Acrobat
    software, reported a higher-than-expected adjusted quarterly profit
    as demand rose for Creative Cloud, the subscription-based version of
    its flagship software package.

    Adobe has been shifting to web-based subscription service Creative
    Cloud from a licensing model since last year. The company said it
    added 221,000 paid Creative Cloud subscribers in the latest quarter,
    taking the total to 700,000.
    nospam, Jun 25, 2013
  18. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/24/2013 7:55 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes
    >>> up, they didn't **** up.
    >>>
    >>> and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after
    >>> all.

    >> There are three possibilities.
    >> Adobe has filed a 10K for the FYE 11/30/2013;
    >> You have disclosed inside information;
    >> You are bullshitting.
    >>
    >> I can't imagine which of the above is correct.

    > don't imagine too hard, because you are talking out your ass again.
    >
    > unlike you, i pay attention to the tech industry.
    >
    > <http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/us-adobe-results-idUSBRE95H19
    > 020130618>
    > (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc, which makes the Photoshop and Acrobat
    > software, reported a higher-than-expected adjusted quarterly profit
    > as demand rose for Creative Cloud, the subscription-based version of
    > its flagship software package.
    >
    > Adobe has been shifting to web-based subscription service Creative
    > Cloud from a licensing model since last year. The company said it
    > added 221,000 paid Creative Cloud subscribers in the latest quarter,
    > taking the total to 700,000.

    So you rely on others. I rely on the 10K. It's a lot more reliable.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 25, 2013
  19. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51c8e412$0$3742$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> There are three possibilities.
    > >> Adobe has filed a 10K for the FYE 11/30/2013;
    > >> You have disclosed inside information;
    > >> You are bullshitting.
    > >>
    > >> I can't imagine which of the above is correct.

    > > don't imagine too hard, because you are talking out your ass again.
    > >
    > > unlike you, i pay attention to the tech industry.
    > >
    > > <http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/us-adobe-results-idUSBRE95H19
    > > 020130618>
    > > (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc, which makes the Photoshop and Acrobat
    > > software, reported a higher-than-expected adjusted quarterly profit
    > > as demand rose for Creative Cloud, the subscription-based version of
    > > its flagship software package.
    > >
    > > Adobe has been shifting to web-based subscription service Creative
    > > Cloud from a licensing model since last year. The company said it
    > > added 221,000 paid Creative Cloud subscribers in the latest quarter,
    > > taking the total to 700,000.
    > >

    > So you rely on others. I rely on the 10K. It's a lot more reliable.

    that would also be relying on others.
    nospam, Jun 25, 2013
  20. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:53:16 PM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

    > > > if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

    > > They aren't selling though it's subscription. ;-P.

    > they're selling subscriptions, but if you insist, if their revenue goes
    >
    > up, they didn't **** up.

    That's much better :)

    > and despite all the whiners, it's up. maybe it's not so stupid after
    >
    > all.

    Whether it's stupid or not isn;t the point whether or not those paying for it like what there' getting is the point.

    > > if it's been cracked after a day that could cause problems.

    > not really. cs6 and earlier were cracked too. there is always going to
    >
    > be piracy.

    But on the first day, what if they change the way they do things and screw it up for those that have paid, wouldn't be the fist time.

    Maybe yoiu need to find out why they turned of thier activation servers forCS2 could be that it wasn;t working very well could it. They did say technical issues now long's CS2 been out 8 years and they can't solve the technical issue(s) ? doesn;t lok good when ntheir new solution tom piracy fails in a day, if that is the case haven't seen it confirmed yet.

    > unlike cs6 and earlier, however, not all features will work because
    >
    > some require connecting to adobe's servers and that would be unwise to
    >
    > do with a cracked copy.

    depends how well it has been cracked I assume and teh way it has been done.

    > > If adobe change they way subscriptions are handled every month this many piss

    > > off genuine users who pay their subs and can;t get the software.

    > > Others might find out how to crack it themselves and do so.

    > why would they change it every month?

    If your 'password' gets cracked the first day then time to change it and maybe even the idea of a 'password' .
    Since CS2 they;'ve had little sucsess in 8 years with this piracy protection and one the bvery first day their new system is cracked are they going to give up after 8 years or do you think they'll try again. ?

    > > > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards

    > > > subscription based software.

    > > Who is 'the industry' nowerdays it used to be MS.

    > it's not just one company.

    So lots of compoanies rather than just adobe will have do follow this modelbefore I'll calll it a trend, it's an idea that's been tried and failed, tried and failed.

    > > While the computer industry is reducing in numbers.

    > the only thing that's shrinking are legacy computers. the rest is
    >
    > growing at a rapid pace, notably mobile.

    Not the sort of thing that CS will run on though is it and I doubt many prousers will go over to mobile phones and edit with CS as theor main income,nut then again maybe it will, or the pros slowley die out like film has for most purposes.
    Whisky-dave, Jun 25, 2013