Adobe update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    Mayayana, Jun 20, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kpv3t0$mqp$>, says...

    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/adobe_q2_customers_disappointed_with_no_boxed_wares/
    >
    > For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
    > CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
    > people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
    > them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
    > out of the question.

    He's quoted as saying "We're looking for tweak that would lead to a
    better customer outcome. We don't have any that we've identified today".

    I know a fine "tweak" that would satisfy the customers. Fire the SOB
    and replace him with somebody with half a brain.
    J. Clarke, Jun 20, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    me Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:19:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <kpv3t0$mqp$>, says...
    >>
    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/adobe_q2_customers_disappointed_with_no_boxed_wares/
    >>
    >> For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
    >> CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
    >> people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
    >> them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
    >> out of the question.

    >He's quoted as saying "We're looking for tweak that would lead to a
    >better customer outcome. We don't have any that we've identified today".
    >
    >I know a fine "tweak" that would satisfy the customers. Fire the SOB
    >and replace him with somebody with half a brain.

    Adobe Photoshop CC Has Apparently Been Cracked One Day After Launch
    http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/ado...een-cracked-one-day-after-launch/#more-115170
    me, Jun 20, 2013
  4. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

    > Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    > insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    > start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    > morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    subscription based software.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  5. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  6. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:09:35 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >with_no_boxed_wares/
    >> >
    >> > For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
    >> >CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
    >> >people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
    >> >them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
    >> >out of the question.

    >> Honestly, it's physically painful to see this kind of stupidity on
    >> display. What part of "you fucked up" don't they understand?

    >if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.
    >
    >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >subscription based software.

    Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.

    So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 22, 2013
  7. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    > >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    > >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    > >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    > >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    > >subscription based software.

    > Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    > started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    > a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
    >
    > So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.

    others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    radio, new york times, amazon and many more.

    <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  8. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:38:36 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >> >subscription based software.

    >> Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    >> started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    >> a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
    >>
    >> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    >microsoft and google.

    I have not heard of Google being available as a subscribed service.
    What Google will do is *handle* subscription payment collection for
    access to sites. The subscriber is not subscribing to Google.

    >others include dropbox,

    What Dropbox does is offer a free service for a certain amount of disk
    space used. A Dropbox customer can increase that amount of space by
    paying an amount.

    That's not a "trend" to subscription service. The concept of a free
    program with the choice of an upgrade to a "better" program for a
    price has been going on for years. Anti-virus programs like Avast!
    have been doing it.

    I'm not going to check out all your cites, but I notice Netflix in
    there. Netflix doesn't offer the use of their software by
    subscription. What Netflix offers is access to someone else's product
    (TV shows, movies) through Netflix. Pandora sells a subscription to
    access their site, not a subscription to use their software.

    The New York Times is not offering a subscription to use a software
    program. They are offering a subscription to view their site in full.
    I've been subscribing to newspapers since before home computers were
    considered to be feasible. In this case, you subscribe to content,
    not to use.

    Intuit offers payroll services by subscription, but they don't offer
    the use of their Quickbooks software by subscription.

    You can't compare what these companies are doing with Adobe's
    subscription program wherein you subscribe to be able to download a
    program onto your computer to use as you wish as long as you pay the
    bill.

    >carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    >gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    >radio, new york times, amazon and many more.

    I suppose you would consider the news server I use,
    news.individual.net, to be a subscription service since I pay an
    annual fee to them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 22, 2013
  9. Mayayana

    Pablo Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:09:35 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:

    >>apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >>subscription based software.

    > Trending, eh

    4b?

    OED:

    trend, v.

    Forms: Also 16 treand, trent, 17–18 dial. trind. Pa. tense and pple.
    trended;
    Etymology: Middle English trenden , Old English trendan (rare) < Old
    Germanic *trand-jan

    †1. intr. To turn round, revolve, rotate, roll; to turn or roll oneself
    about; also fig. Obs.
    a1000 MS. Cott. Faust. A. x. in Anglia I. 285 Se æppel næfre þæs feorr
    ne trenddeð, he cyð, hwanon he com.
    [c1000 in A. S. Napier Old Eng. Glosses 5 Teretes, i. rotundos,
    sintrendende [v.r. sintredende], sinhwyrfende.]
    c1330 (â–¸?c1300) Guy of Warwick (Auch.) l. 313 He went and trent [c1475
    Caius He wende, he trende] his bed opon, So man þat is wo bigon.
    1398 J. Trevisa tr. Bartholomew de Glanville De Proprietatibus Rerum ix.
    i. (Tollem. MS.) , Meuynge haþ cause firste and principally of trendynge
    [1535 trendlynge] aboute of heuen.
    1398 J. Trevisa tr. Bartholomew de Glanville De Proprietatibus Rerum xi.
    x, Of his longe trendynge [1535 trendlynge] aboute comeþ his roundnesse.
    c1460 (â–¸?c1400) Tale of Beryn (1887) l. 2038 The trowith woll be
    previd, how so men evir trend.
    1654 R. Vilvain tr. Enchiridium Epigr. i. 32 The whol frame doth round
    in her orb trend.

    †2.

    a. trans. To cause (a thing) to turn round; to turn or roll (anything); to
    twist, plait, curl; fig. to revolve in one's mind. Obs. (exc. as in 2b).
    c1315 Shoreham vii. 78 A myÈt..Þat halt vp þerþe and sterren bryÈte
    Aboute itrent.
    c1374 Chaucer tr. Boethius De Consol. Philos. (Cambr.) iii. met. xi. 79
    Lat hym rollen and trenden with-Inne hym self the Lyht of his inward syhte.
    c1380 Sir Ferumbras (1879) l. 5881 Wyþ eÈene graye, and browes bent, And
    Èealwe traces, & fayre y-trent.
    1594 Willobie his Auisa xli. f. 39, The Spindle that you see me driue,
    Hath fyld the spill so often trend.
    1616 W. Browne Britannia's Pastorals II. iii. 83 Not farre beneath i'th
    Valley as she trends Her siluer streame.

    b. To wind (wool, partly cleaned) into tops for spinning. dial. (Cf.
    trendle n. 5.)
    1777-8 [see trended adj. at Derivatives].
    1796 Ann. Agric. 26 454 Herefordshire is the only county that I know
    which continues the practice of trinding (or winding the wool in tops, ready
    sorted in some degree for fine drapers).
    1828 Webster Amer. Dict. Eng. Lang., Trend, v.t., in rural economy, to
    free wool from its filth. (Local.)

    †3.

    a. intr. To make a circuit, travel around or about the edge of a region or
    piece of land; to skirt, coast (about, along). Obs.
    1580 J. Dee in R. Hakluyt Princ. Navigations (1589) ii. 459 You shall
    trend about the very Northerne and most Easterly point of all Asia.
    1615 G. Sandys Relation of Journey 137 The maine Desarts: which all this
    while we had trented along, and now were to passe through.
    1622 R. Hawkins Observ. Voiage S. Sea (1847) 179 Trending about the
    cape, wee haled in east north-east, to fetch the bay of Atacames.

    †b. More vaguely: To turn or direct one's course. Obs.
    1618 in W. Foster Eng. Factories India 1618–21 (1906) 11 Their
    provisions trend from Mosambique to the Mulluccas.
    1647 G. Tooke Belides 30 As a streame descending From his faire heads to
    sea, becomes in trending More puissant.
    1846 W. S. Landor Imaginary Conversat. in Wks. I. 87/1 The religion of
    blood, like the beasts of prey, will continue to trend northward.

    †c. trans. To coast along, skirt; to make the circuit of, to round (a point
    of land). Obs.
    1580 J. Florio tr. J. Cartier Shorte Narr. Two Nauigations Newe Fraunce 13
    We trended the sayde land about nine or ten leagues, hoping to finde some
    good harborough.
    1602 R. Carew Surv. Cornwall ii. f. 98v, From thence trending Penlee
    poynt, you discouer Kings Sand and Causam Bay.

    4.

    a. intr. To turn off in a specified direction; to tend to take a direction
    or course expressed by the context; to run, stretch, incline, bend (in some
    direction), as a river, current, coastline, mountain range, territory,
    stratum, etc.
    1598 R. Hakluyt tr. W. de Rubruquis in Princ. Navigations (new ed.) I. 104
    The riuer of..Volga.. issueth from the North part of Bulgaria..& so trending
    along Southward, disimboqueth into a certain lake.
    1610 P. Holland tr. W. Camden Brit. i. 766 The shore treandeth out more,
    and more.
    1635 Voy. Foxe & James to N.W. (1894) II. 354, I see the land trent to
    the Southward.
    1779 T. Forrest Voy. New Guinea 194 From the island of Ebus, the coast
    trends to the northward.
    1860 M. F. Maury Physical Geogr. Sea (ed. 8) ii. §116 In its course to
    the north, the Gulf Stream gradually trends more and more to the eastward.
    1876 J. R. Green Stray Stud. 290 Their path lay along the coast trending
    round to the west.
    1892 R. L. Stevenson Across Plains 232 The rail~road trended to the
    right.

    b. fig. To turn in some direction, to have a general tendency (as a
    discussion, events, etc.).
    1863 G. A. Lawrence Border & Bastille xiii. 243 In which direction do
    the sympathies and interests of the Border States actually trend?
    1886 E. Dowden Life Shelley I. iv. 164 The discussion..trended away from
    theology in the direction of politics.
    1901 B. Meakin Land of Moors xx. 407 The Land of the Moors, which, as
    things trend to-day, must in time form part of her [France's] colony.

    c. trans. in casual sense: To turn or bend the course of in a particular
    direction. rare.
    1840 Civil Engineer & Architect's Jrnl. 3 109/1 Laying the several
    courses perpendicular to the face of the arch..and trending them to the
    abutments in an angle dependent on the given obliquity.

    ˈtrended adj. (dial. trinded) (spec. of wool: see 2b).
    1777–8 R. Wight Horæ Subsecivæ (MS Bodl. Eng. lang. d.66) 438
    [Gloucestershire] Trinded or Trended Wool,..Wool winded, & fastned together
    with the Rind of a Tree.
    1796 Ann. Agric. 26 455 send you, by Drew, a trinded top of
    wool..with the locks left out of it at trinding.
    1805 J. Luccock Nature & Prop. Wool 300 From the trended fleece of
    Herefordshire about one tenth of its weight is taken of coarse and inferior
    locks.

    ˈtrending adj.
    1856 J. Martineau Ess., Rev., & Addr. (1891) IV. 44 No treaty..can trace
    a boundary-line any more than a mountain-chain or trending coast can keep
    out the Almighty Maker of them both.
    1968 D. L. Clarke Analyt. Archaeol. vi. v. 274 Once again we have six
    trending variables, each with three crude attitudes.

    ˈtrender n. (dial.) one employed in winding (cleaned) wool.
    1828 Webster Amer. Dict. Eng. Lang., Trender, one whose business is to

    http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
    http://paulc.es/
    Pablo, Jun 22, 2013
  10. Mayayana

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    : > >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    : > >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    : > >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.
    : > >
    : > >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    : > >subscription based software.
    : >
[...]

    These fads come and go. Anyone who tells you he can predict accurately how
    they will play out in any given time frame is a liar. The "cloud model", or
    something very much like it, was proposed as the future of computing as long
    ago as the early 1960s. At that time it was based on the premise that
    computational hardware would remain expensive and hard to use forever; the
    invention of the minicomputer sealed the idea's fate. This time it's based on
    different premises, but they're just as unprovable and subject to change. That
    there will be a role for cloud software for the foreseeable future is probably
    true; and when you start from nearly zero, eye-popping growth rates are
    possible. But the cloud has security and reliability drawbacks that will
    almost certainly limit its market penetration at some point. What happens then
    is anybody's bet. What is almost indisputable is that there is such explosive
    growth in the use of various forms of computers that there is room for a
    variety of economic models.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 22, 2013
  11. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>

    | SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    | delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    | as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    | functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    | account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

    While there is a SaaS fad, it's been going on for
    more than 10 years now. Cloud mania is just the latest
    marketing blitz. It's important to realize that SaaS is
    mainly a business model for increasing profits. Professional
    gossips like IDC are in the business of "analyzing" the
    latest big, new thing. (Their absurd jingle is "analyzing
    the future". :) A few years ago they were talking constantly
    about portals. Everyone needed a portal to "be in the
    running". Business people are suckers for this stuff.
    To a great extent, analysts merely articulate the latest
    gossip, add charts, and then sell that as oracular wisdom.

    Which is not to say that SaaS isn't happening. It's
    just that the prediction and marketing of it (which are
    not easy to separate) are far more in evidence than
    SaaS itself. Microsoft has been buying ads on the back
    page of the NYT business section to announce that
    "CompanyX is on Office 365". The other day it was
    Toyota. But we don't know how much Toyota uses
    O365. And we don't know whether MS might be
    essentially paying them to use it. We don't even know
    much about O365, because MS is clearly worried primarily
    about credibility. It's like a car ad that brags "lots of
    people are buying this car", instead of describing the
    engineering, power, safety features, etc.

    SaaS has never taken off simply because it doesn't
    make sense for most people in most situations.
    In the case of Adobe, it's hard to see how they can
    really justify subscription model. They're ending car sales
    and offering leasing/rental, but what's the advantage in
    their case?
    * It still needs to be installed, so it doesn't even have
    the cloud advantage of full mobility.
    * The online storage is of little use to the kind of people
    who use PS/CS. It's unlikely that professional are going
    to let their copyright rights be blurred by storing their
    work on Adobe servers. It's not as though they're editing
    photos on their phones.
    * This kind of software is a mature product, for the most part.

    As with most SaaS products, Adobe is going to leasing
    because the sales future is not promising. Companies are
    having trouble getting people to keep paying excessive
    prices for product updates that are not notably better
    than the last version, so they're trying to force the issue.

    Leased cars are no bargain. They make sense
    for some companies due to expensing and logistics issues,
    but for most people they don't make sense. One ends up
    making similar payments. The main differences are that
    1) one doesn't own the car at the end of the lease and
    2) there are restrictions like insurance and maintenance
    requirements, because one doesn't actually own the car.

    Maybe Adobe will have great success with their leasing
    model. As Apple demonstrates time and again, you can fool
    some of the people all of the time. But the relevant question
    is whether *you* will have great success with the Adobe
    leasing model. :)
    Mayayana, Jun 22, 2013
  12. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:14 +0200, Pablo <> wrote:

    >Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:09:35 -0400, nospam <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    >>>subscription based software.

    >> Trending, eh

    >4b?
    >
    > 4.

    > b. fig. To turn in some direction, to have a general tendency (as a
    >discussion, events, etc.).

    Yes, 4b is the closest definition to the usage in this context.
    There's an implication in "trending" that the change in direction
    could be temporary. We generally think of trends as fads that are
    being followed. However, some trends turn out to be a permanent
    course.

    When some new method of doing something starts to be used, we say
    there's a trend to follow this method because we're not sure if that
    method will be embraced as a standard method in the future. If we
    were *sure* the method would be adopted, we'd say there has been a
    change in the method instead of there has been a trend to this method.

    At this point, providing a software program through a subscription
    method and not providing that software as an uninhibited license is
    not yet a trend. We'd have to see it done more for it to be a trend.

    There is a trend to subscription-only viewing of the full content of
    sites like the New York Times and other newspapers and other
    informational sites. That's really modeled on a method that has been
    in use for decades with subscriptions to newspapers and magazines
    printed on dead trees. Nothing new here.

    What Adobe has done differently is a) discontinued future offering of
    permanent ownership of a program for one fee, and, b) offering the use
    of that program essentially as a rental. Like a rental unit, if you
    don't pay the rent you can be locked out.

    I consider access to a service on a subscription basis different from
    access to application software like Adobe's Photoshop.

    I'm at a loss for a term that describes software with which the user
    creates something as opposed to software with which the user merely
    chooses which movies he's to be sent this month.

    With software like Photoshop, Painter, Quickbooks, Office, Lotus, etc,
    the user creates the output whether it's a modified image, a set of
    bookkeeping records, or documents.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 22, 2013
  13. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    > >> started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    > >> a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
    > >>
    > >> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

    > >microsoft and google.

    > I have not heard of Google being available as a subscribed service.

    just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    there's a lot of stuff you haven't heard of.

    > What Google will do is *handle* subscription payment collection for
    > access to sites. The subscriber is not subscribing to Google.

    wrong.

    <http://www.google.com/intx/en/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html>
    Google Apps for Business customers pay a monthly fee for each user,
    on one of two plans. All users on the account must be on the same
    plan.

    > >others include dropbox,

    > What Dropbox does is offer a free service for a certain amount of disk
    > space used. A Dropbox customer can increase that amount of space by
    > paying an amount.

    and that amount starts at $10/mo, which is subscription.

    just because there's a free tier doesn't mean it's not subscription
    based. you can't pay a one-time fee for dropbox.

    plus, the additional space enhances other apps that use dropbox.

    > That's not a "trend" to subscription service.

    yes it is. more and more software companies are adopting the
    subscription model. did you not read the link you snipped?

    here's another link:
    <http://press.pwc.com/GLOBAL/News-releases/cloud-software-as-a-service-a
    nd-mobile-trends-redefine-the-software-industry/s/4132d3fb-3594-48f1-9c7
    1-e4f76a0fc6be>
    Although SaaS represented only 4.9 percent of total software revenues
    in 2011, a consistent and significant shift towards SaaS is
    occurring. Roughly half of 800 North American organisations confirmed
    they evaluate cloud based solutions when they buying software.
    Perpetual license revenue has been shrinking since 2004 while
    subscription revenue (including SaaS) is forecast to grow at a 17.5%
    compounded annual rate, reaching 24% of total software revenue by
    2016. Software companies are now closely evaluating aspects of their
    business models, including delivery methods, pricing strategies and
    sales compensation options.

    > The concept of a free
    > program with the choice of an upgrade to a "better" program for a
    > price has been going on for years. Anti-virus programs like Avast!
    > have been doing it.

    offering a free level is a way to get people to use the product and
    hopefully pay for the additional options. not everyone will, but that's
    ok. it's how they advertise.

    > I'm not going to check out all your cites,

    of course not, because you'd realize how uninformed you are.

    > but I notice Netflix in
    > there. Netflix doesn't offer the use of their software by
    > subscription. What Netflix offers is access to someone else's product
    > (TV shows, movies) through Netflix.

    the netflix app is useless without a subscription to netflix.

    > Pandora sells a subscription to
    > access their site, not a subscription to use their software.

    that means it's a subscription.

    it's true that netflix and pandora aren't exactly the same as what
    adobe is doing, but they are still very much subscription based.

    > The New York Times is not offering a subscription to use a software
    > program. They are offering a subscription to view their site in full.
    > I've been subscribing to newspapers since before home computers were
    > considered to be feasible. In this case, you subscribe to content,
    > not to use.

    the ny times app offers a 'free level' where you get some content and a
    subscription level for more.

    > Intuit offers payroll services by subscription, but they don't offer
    > the use of their Quickbooks software by subscription.

    yes they do:

    <http://quickbooks.intuit.com/online/>
    Organize your business finances with QuickBooks.
    The first month is on us. You can cancel anytime.

    > You can't compare what these companies are doing with Adobe's
    > subscription program wherein you subscribe to be able to download a
    > program onto your computer to use as you wish as long as you pay the
    > bill.

    yes you can. they may not all be exactly the same, but one thing they
    do have in common is there's a recurring fee to continue using the
    products, aka subscription.

    > >carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    > >gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    > >radio, new york times, amazon and many more.

    > I suppose you would consider the news server I use,
    > news.individual.net, to be a subscription service since I pay an
    > annual fee to them.

    it's a subscription service. just what did you think it was?

    plus, your newsreader does not do a whole lot without a subscription to
    a news service. there are a couple free news providers, but they have
    limitations. most are paid.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  14. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <kq48s1$9he$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > SaaS has never taken off simply because it doesn't
    > make sense for most people in most situations.

    nonsense. it makes sense for some and not for others, just like
    anything else.

    > In the case of Adobe, it's hard to see how they can
    > really justify subscription model. They're ending car sales
    > and offering leasing/rental, but what's the advantage in
    > their case?
    > * It still needs to be installed, so it doesn't even have
    > the cloud advantage of full mobility.
    > * The online storage is of little use to the kind of people
    > who use PS/CS. It's unlikely that professional are going
    > to let their copyright rights be blurred by storing their
    > work on Adobe servers. It's not as though they're editing
    > photos on their phones.
    > * This kind of software is a mature product, for the most part.

    3 out of 3 wrong. you never disappoint.

    > As with most SaaS products, Adobe is going to leasing
    > because the sales future is not promising. Companies are
    > having trouble getting people to keep paying excessive
    > prices for product updates that are not notably better
    > than the last version, so they're trying to force the issue.

    that's not why. adobe switched because managing two versions of their
    products consumes more resources than just one.

    > Maybe Adobe will have great success with their leasing
    > model. As Apple demonstrates time and again, you can fool
    > some of the people all of the time. But the relevant question
    > is whether *you* will have great success with the Adobe
    > leasing model. :)

    your posts would not be complete without a jab to apple.

    apple doesn't fool anyone. people buy their products because they're
    decent products and do what the user wants.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  15. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : > Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
    > : > started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
    > : > a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
    > : >
    > : > So, there's Adobe and then there's...?
    > :
    > : microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.
    > :
    > : others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
    > : gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
    > : radio, new york times, amazon and many more.
    > :
    > : <http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
    > : SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
    > : delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
    > : as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
    > : functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
    > : account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.
    >
    > These fads come and go.

    it's not a fad.

    > Anyone who tells you he can predict accurately how
    > they will play out in any given time frame is a liar.

    that would include you, then.

    > The "cloud model", or
    > something very much like it, was proposed as the future of computing as long
    > ago as the early 1960s. At that time it was based on the premise that
    > computational hardware would remain expensive and hard to use forever; the
    > invention of the minicomputer sealed the idea's fate.

    that was a stupid and ignorant premise. nobody with a clue believed it,
    even back then.

    > This time it's based on
    > different premises, but they're just as unprovable and subject to change.

    except not only is it provable, it's *already* *happening*.

    > That
    > there will be a role for cloud software for the foreseeable future is probably
    > true; and when you start from nearly zero, eye-popping growth rates are
    > possible. But the cloud has security and reliability drawbacks that will
    > almost certainly limit its market penetration at some point. What happens then
    > is anybody's bet. What is almost indisputable is that there is such explosive
    > growth in the use of various forms of computers that there is room for a
    > variety of economic models.

    nobody said cloud would be the only option for consumers.

    however, it's quite clear it will be a significant part of software
    products. the cloud is here to stay.

    anyone who claims otherwise is blind.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  16. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | > SaaS has never taken off simply because it doesn't
    | > make sense for most people in most situations.
    |
    | nonsense. it makes sense for some and not for others, just like
    | anything else.

    You're not contradicting what I said, so why do
    you call it nonsense? Or do you mean to say that
    *most* people, presumably yourself included, prefer
    and use mostly online subscription software? Do most
    of your acquaintances use Office 365? Or maybe
    some sort of Webby AutoCad? Do they rent online
    photo-editing? Are you planning to throw out CS
    and switch to subscription?

    I'm not aware of anyone I know who rents software,
    with the possible exception of AV. In general the people
    I know only use software services if they're free and
    frictionless (by which I mean virtually no learning required
    to use them), and even then it's only in specific categories,
    like AV, webmail, photo posting, etc. It's mostly things
    that are happening online. The AV is installed, but the
    free updates of virus signatures are coming from online.
    The webmail and photo posting are used because they're
    free, online, and because the people using them don't
    know how to set up their own POP3 email or website.
    Mayayana, Jun 22, 2013
  17. Mayayana

    Pablo Guest

    Frank S wrote:

    > "Pablo" <> wrote in message
    >> Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> Trending, eh

    >> 4b?
    >>
    >> OED:

    <snip>

    > There is no more irritating fellow than the man who doesn't know how to
    > snip

    Post corrected. :)

    Pablo, Jun 22, 2013
  18. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <kq4hm7$mov$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | > SaaS has never taken off simply because it doesn't
    > | > make sense for most people in most situations.
    > |
    > | nonsense. it makes sense for some and not for others, just like
    > | anything else.
    >
    > You're not contradicting what I said, so why do
    > you call it nonsense?

    you say it doesn't make sense for most people in most situations.
    that's nonsense. it makes sense for a lot of people, which is why it's
    use is increasing.

    the cloud is not going away. quite the opposite. the cloud is becoming
    more prevalent, as mobile devices proliferate and people want one
    repository of their data that's available on all devices.

    syncing gets old fast. people want to be able to work on a document at
    home/work and then continue working on it while out and maybe have
    other colleagues collaborate on the same files.

    you are as usual, not thinking long term.

    > Or do you mean to say that
    > *most* people, presumably yourself included, prefer
    > and use mostly online subscription software? Do most
    > of your acquaintances use Office 365? Or maybe
    > some sort of Webby AutoCad? Do they rent online
    > photo-editing? Are you planning to throw out CS
    > and switch to subscription?

    subscription software does not fit my needs, at least not with what's
    currently offered, but i am not blind to where the industry is going
    and that one day there may be a compelling reason to do so.

    you on the other hand, dismiss the entire concept without even knowing
    what it can do.

    i know people who use creative cloud and like it because they could
    never afford the full creative suite. paying a small monthly fee lets
    them get the full functionality at a cheap (but recurring) price, which
    lets them get clients they otherwise would not be able to get because
    they couldn't afford the tools.

    for them it's a big win, and they're making money by subscribing. in
    other words, it's paid for itself many times over. this concept is
    apparently lost on you.

    > I'm not aware of anyone I know who rents software,

    you're not aware of a lot of things, i've noticed.

    > with the possible exception of AV. In general the people
    > I know only use software services if they're free and
    > frictionless (by which I mean virtually no learning required
    > to use them), and even then it's only in specific categories,
    > like AV, webmail, photo posting, etc. It's mostly things
    > that are happening online. The AV is installed, but the
    > free updates of virus signatures are coming from online.
    > The webmail and photo posting are used because they're
    > free, online, and because the people using them don't
    > know how to set up their own POP3 email or website.

    why should average users need to know how to set up email or a website?
    let the mail and web design apps do that for you. and besides, who uses
    pop3 anymore anyway? imap is much, much more capable.
    nospam, Jun 22, 2013
  19. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | subscription software does not fit my needs,

    Ah, what do you know about that? :)
    Mayayana, Jun 22, 2013
  20. Mayayana

    peternew Guest

    On 6/21/2013 8:09 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> with_no_boxed_wares/
    >>>
    >>> For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
    >>> CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
    >>> people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
    >>> them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
    >>> out of the question.

    >> Honestly, it's physically painful to see this kind of stupidity on
    >> display. What part of "you fucked up" don't they understand?

    > if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.
    >
    >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
    >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
    >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
    >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

    > apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
    > subscription based software.

    So either you are a marketing genius, or you have a lemming like follow
    the herd mentality.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 22, 2013