Adobe Reader - Old and New

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John R. Baker, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. I have the FULL version of Adobe Acrobat (4.01a) installed on my notebook
    computer. It works great, both as a stand-alone program, and as a browser
    helper (IE 6.0). I use it to create PDF content.

    I need to access some PDF Version 6.0 files on the Internet, but my older
    version 4.0 has problems. The first page or two opens OK, but I get an
    error message if I try to scroll further down. The browser application will
    allow me to save the file to my hard disk. If I do that, I am able to
    successfully open the downloaded file with my older Acrobat 4.0 program.

    I downloaded and installed the latest FREE Adobe Reader (Version 6.0.2), but
    I do NOT want to uninstall the full Acrobat 4.0 because I need the
    capability to create PDF content. The two versions of Acrobat seem to
    coexist peacefully on my computer, and both function properly.

    Here's my problem: When I click on a web link to a PDF file, it still opens
    with the older version 4.0. I want the file to open with the new version
    6.0.

    I found a work-around. If I start the Acrobat 6.0 program first, and let
    that window remain open, then IE6.0 will open the PDF link with the new 6.0
    reader. If I then close the 6.0 reader, IE once again tries to open PDF
    files with the older version 4.0.

    I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but was
    not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

    How can I get IE to open PDF files with the new version 6.0 of Acrobat
    Reader WITHOUT uninstalling my full Adobe Acrobat 4.0?

    Here's my configuration:
    Windows 98SE
    PII-400, 384 MB RAM Notebook
    Internet Explorer 6.0
    Adobe Acrobat 4.01a (Full version)
    Adobe Reader 6.0.2 (Free reader)

    -- John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jul 24, 2004

  2. John R. Baker

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:29:20 +0000, John R. Baker wrote:

    > I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but was
    > not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

    Right clunk on the file icon. Open With...and tick the ticky thingy at
    the bottom of the window to make the change permanent.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jul 24, 2004

  3. "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:29:20 +0000, John R. Baker wrote:
    >
    > > I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but

    was
    > > not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

    > Right clunk on the file icon. Open With...and tick the ticky thingy at
    > the bottom of the window to make the change permanent.
    >
    > --
    > Parko
    > Registered Linux User #339345
    > Defenestrate Windows!
    > And now for something completely different...wear baldness with pride.
    > http://www.parko-polishes.com

    Parko, I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. I used Shift-Right
    Click, open with AcroRd32.exe and checked the box "Always use this..." and
    that did in fact work for clicking on local PDF files. But when I opened a
    web-based PDF file, the "open with" got reset back to the older 4.0 version.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    --
    John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jul 24, 2004