Adobe Reader Help?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5 on my computer and have tried to upgrade it to the
    latest version.

    I get a message that says:
    Patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can
    access it or contact application vendor.

    I have tried to delete the software by Microsoft process.. Control Panel |
    Add or Delete Programs.

    I get the same message.

    In the Adobe Folder I have:
    Adobe 6.0 and 7.0 as well as these files
    AdbeRdr60_enu_full
    {ac76ba86-0000-0000-7ac5-6028747ade00}
    as well as Photoshop.

    Can anyone clue me on a way to clean out Adobe Reader cleanly so I can start
    over again?

    Thanks, Bill
    WeeWilly, Aug 16, 2006

  2. WeeWilly

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:18:23 -0700, WeeWilly wrote:

    >I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5 on my computer and have tried to upgrade it to the
    >latest version.
    >
    >I get a message that says:
    >Patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can
    >access it or contact application vendor.

    <snip>

    >Can anyone clue me on a way to clean out Adobe Reader cleanly so I can start
    >over again?

    www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

    Remove Adobe Reader 6.x (Windows XP and 2000) - Support
    KnowledgebaseNote: If you use the Add Or Remove Programs utility and it
    doesn't remove the Program Files\Acrobat 6.0\Reader folder, manually
    remove Adobe Reader. ...
    www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327675.html - 26k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    why?, Aug 16, 2006

  3. why? wrote:

    > www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

    ...and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is* just a
    reader, after all), after uninstalling the old version, go get a free
    replacement that is not a bloated product.

    I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a long time.
    The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
    http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 16, 2006
  4. WeeWilly

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:09:21 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >
    >> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

    >..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is* just a
    >reader, after all), after uninstalling the old version, go get a free
    >replacement that is not a bloated product.

    So true.

    >I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a long time.
    >The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
    >http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    I have seen this mentioned a few times, looks like it's time for me to
    change as well.

    Thanks
    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2006
  5. WeeWilly

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in
    t:

    > why? wrote:
    >
    >> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

    > ..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is*
    > just a reader, after all), after uninstalling the old
    > version, go get a free replacement that is not a bloated
    > product.
    >
    > I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a
    > long time. The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
    > http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    AMEN.

    IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
    priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole from
    other companies after buying them out or driving them OOB) have
    turned into an evil empire second only to MS.

    I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic invention,
    but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.
    thanatoid, Aug 16, 2006
  6. WeeWilly

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:54:51 +0100, thanatoid wrote
    (in article <Xns9821AC31FE1D5thanexit@66.250.146.158>):

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    > in
    > t:
    >
    >> why? wrote:
    >>
    >>> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

    >> ..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is*
    >> just a reader, after all), after uninstalling the old
    >> version, go get a free replacement that is not a bloated
    >> product.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a
    >> long time. The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
    >> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    >>

    > AMEN.
    >
    > IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
    > priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole from
    > other companies after buying them out or driving them OOB) have
    > turned into an evil empire second only to MS.

    Clarify. From whom did Adobe steal Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive!,
    Acrobat and Image Ready? They didn't drive Macromedia out of business,
    either; the take over was by mutual agreement.

    > I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic invention,
    > but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.

    Does *WHAT* "so much better"? FoxItReader is a tool for reading what,
    thanadroid? That's right Portable Document Format files; are you telling me
    that they've revolutionised the file format as well? Better not let Adobe
    hear about this, they'll sue.

    Once again, thanadroid, you're spouting absolute garbage (as per usual).
    Margolotta, Aug 17, 2006
  7. WeeWilly

    thanatoid Guest

    Margolotta <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
    >> priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole
    >> from other companies after buying them out or driving them
    >> OOB) have turned into an evil empire second only to MS.

    > Clarify. From whom did Adobe steal Photoshop, Illustrator,
    > InDesign, GoLive!, Acrobat and Image Ready? They didn't
    > drive Macromedia out of business, either; the take over was
    > by mutual agreement.

    Right, "mutual agreement" with a company whose only remaining
    serious product is (or was ) Director... Largely due to Adobe's
    MS-like behavior and resulting market dominance.

    I don't know the entire history of Adobe except that it was
    setup (and possibly is still headed) by one of the geniuses from
    PARC, so it especially bothers me that they do not have a very
    clean record.

    The killed Aldus and then they killed Photostyler (I think
    that's what it was called) and then, albeit more slowly,
    PageMaker. The ONLY reason ver. 7 was released 4 or so years
    later is because Adobe never bothered to make any serious
    improvements to the program let alone update some old 16 bit
    code in the previous versions - so it would not run on XP, which
    I guess caught them a little by surprise. Their main
    "contribution", and most users would agree they should fry in
    hell just for that, is changing almost all the PM keyboard
    shortcuts so they would match Photoshop and Illustrator.

    Macromedia Freehand and the Aldus version of the vector/freehand
    drawing program (whose name escapes me) were widely considered
    superior to Illustrator.

    Acrobat/PDF is, AFAIK, entirely their invention and it is SUCH a
    great format that it ALMOST makes up for their sins. Still,
    those sins exist and can not be denied.

    I am not familiar with the other Adobe products you mention
    since I have been happily using PageMaker 6.52 and Micrografx
    Picture Publisher, which had infinite undo and some other
    crucial features years before Photoshop did. The only people who
    really need Photoshop with its admittedly impressive pre-press
    capabilities are those who people for major publishing firms,
    yet everyone has it, even though it utterly beyond their
    capacities. And the kind of work resulting largely from
    Photoshop's artistically questionable effects and unquestionable
    dominance are easy and superficially impressive results of what
    I like to call the "Photoshop Disease". A few are great, some
    are not bad, most are horrid, but all are cookie cutter crap.

    And 95% of the plug-ins I have ever seen are ugly useless crap.

    Micrografx is dead too, bought out by Corel, who appears to also
    have bought out JASC, or at least Paint Shop Pro.
    That's what you do when you can't make a decent product. I think
    like 95% of Corel's current line of products were "acquired"
    this way. I digress.

    The last "acquisition" by Adobe that I know of was buying out
    one of th best audio-editing programs, Cool Edit Pro, and
    calling it "Audition". I wonder whether they changed all the
    keyboard shortcuts to match Photoshop as well, and what other
    horrors they have done to it.

    >> I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic
    >> invention, but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.

    > Does *WHAT* "so much better"? FoxItReader is a tool for
    > reading what, thanadroid? That's right Portable Document
    > Format files; are you telling me that they've
    > revolutionised the file format as well? Better not let
    > Adobe hear about this, they'll sue.

    It reads PDF documents just as well and is like 8 times smaller
    and faster and has a more logical and easier interface.

    > Once again, thanadroid, you're spouting absolute garbage
    > (as per usual).

    Takes one to know one doesn't it?

    P.S. Since you seem to enjoy altering people's nyms, may I
    suggest you remove one of the d's from your version of mine and
    you can chuckle as you compare me to a hemorrhoid. It's occurred
    to others, but apparently not to you.
    thanatoid, Aug 17, 2006
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks, BTS..
    Question.. went to the website and looked at what they had..

    I've asked this question in the past and the replies didn't provide hope..

    The site is "topsecretrecipes.com". Every week he provides a 'secret'
    recipe from some well known resturant that he has cloned. He allows you to
    Print the recipe during the week it's on line.. but, I'd like to copy it to
    a file on my computer rather than input the text by hand.

    I'm wondering if there is an application that will allow me to copy a file
    that I believe is Macromedia Flash.

    Thanks for any help again..

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Aug 18, 2006
  9. WeeWilly wrote:

    > Thanks, BTS.. Question.. went to the website and looked at what they
    > had..
    >
    > I've asked this question in the past and the replies didn't provide
    > hope..
    >
    > The site is "topsecretrecipes.com". Every week he provides a
    > 'secret' recipe from some well known resturant that he has cloned.
    > He allows you to Print the recipe during the week it's on line.. but,
    > I'd like to copy it to a file on my computer rather than input the
    > text by hand.

    Sorry, it looks as if I would have to "buy" the recipes for 79 cents in
    order to see what happens.

    > I'm wondering if there is an application that will allow me to copy a
    > file that I believe is Macromedia Flash.

    Perhaps you could look in your browser's cache for the flash file? Clear
    all cache just before you visit the site, so there's not much to look
    through. That's all I can think of for that site.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 18, 2006
  10. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks again..

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Aug 18, 2006
  11. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    I have tried this process and everything has been deleted except two files.
    Those two files get special attention in the document but I still can't seem
    to delete them.. any help??

    Here are the files
    PDF.ocx
    AcroIEHelper.dll

    But can't delete them.

    Is it likely they are set up so they can't be deleted and have to use DOS to
    do it? It's been so long since I've used DOS I can't remember how to do
    so.. and no longer have books to show me how.

    Thanks again for any help.

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Aug 23, 2006