    please help me sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing - in
    plain English, please? Guess I could change the file association back to
    v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?
    LAH, Oct 23, 2005

  2. LAH

    Spider Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:38:41 -0400, LAH <> wrote:

    > For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
    > fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
    > message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not
    > open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 and all updates except
    > the
    > Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so it took me
    > forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr.
    > I have Windows 98 SE so this is the latest version available to me. It
    > works OK but seems to open much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind
    > uninstall v6 and go back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website
    > but
    > please help me sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing
    > - in
    > plain English, please? Guess I could change the file association back
    > v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

    Move the plugins from the plugin folder to another folder. Read about it
    here:

    http://sastools.com/b2/post/79394202

    --
    Spider
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/
    Spider, Oct 23, 2005

  3. LAH

    Deano Guest

    LAH wrote:
    > For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all
    > works fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I
    > get the message that a newer version of Adobe is available and
    > everything may not open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6
    > and all updates except the Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so
    > it took me forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr. I have Windows 98 SE so this is
    > the latest version available to me. It works OK but seems to open
    > much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind to uninstall v6 and go
    > back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website but please help me
    > sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing - in plain
    > English, please? Guess I could change the file association back to
    > v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

    If you want something more lightweight to read PDFs try FoxIt Reader;

    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    Deano, Oct 23, 2005
  4. LAH

    Plato Guest

    LAH wrote:

    > For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
    > fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
    > message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not

    Well, same here. I try to use the oldest version of adobe pdf reader
    that I can get away with. Seems when I put in a newer version on this ol
    win98se pc it bugs me.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 23, 2005
  5. LAH

    kenny Guest

    Version 6 was bad beyond imagination...
    However 7 is fast....
    I tried 5 again and saw that 7 is faster when you open and close the program
    frequently

    Get the lastest here:
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/7x/7.0.5/enu/AdbeRdr705_enu_full.exe

    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/7x/7.0.5/enu/

    Also there is a program that let you disable the plugins in order to make
    acrobat load faster.

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/Adobe-Reader-SpeedUp.shtml

    ( I have not tried it though)

    kenny www.computerboom.com

    HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.

    kenny, Oct 23, 2005
  6. LAH

    kenny Guest

    Sorry, my mistake, I just saw that version 7 is only for win2k and up!

    However the program I sent you that removes the plug ins works with 6.

    here is some more info on how to remove the plug ins manualy

    http://www.sb-cg.com/news.asp?strPageRequest=acrobat

    kenny, Oct 23, 2005