    getting myself into here.

    Thanks,
    Steve m... (aspiring DSLR camera buff)

    Steve m..., Dec 7, 2003

  2. Steve m...

    Trev Guest

    "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> wrote in message
    news:tcIAb.1191$...
    > I see people talking about using RAW mode to take their pictures.

    With the
    > 300D you get PE 2.0 and of course it is possible to do RAW pictures

    I'm
    > assuming. I've seen some comments about a plug in for it. Can I get

    it
    > from somewhere as well ? Is it an extra cost or ?
    > Also, any quick instructions on usage of this would be helpful. If

    it's a
    > long drawn out thing to do please say so as I'd like to know what I'm
    > getting myself into here.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve m... (aspiring DSLR camera buff)

    There was but adobe have now incorperated it in to CS It only cost
    twice the price of elements.

    Trev, Dec 7, 2003

  3. << There was but adobe have now incorperated it in to CS It only cost
    twice the price of elements. >>

    ???

    Adobe Photoshop CS lists for $649 (U.S.) and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 lists
    for $99.

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Steve m...

    Don Coon Guest

    "Conrad Weiler" <> wrote in message
    > << There was but adobe have now incorperated it in to CS It only cost
    > twice the price of elements. >>
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Adobe Photoshop CS lists for $649 (U.S.) and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

    lists
    > for $99.

    The Plug-In cost twice the price of Elements ($190 vs. $99) -- not PS-CS.

    Don Coon, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Steve m...

    Zol. Guest

    Use Irfanview to view quickly as this handles the canon crw files - the only thing I found
    was that it required the files to have the .crw extension to read them (files on CF/Camera
    are not labeled with extensions). It`s free too, so you don`t have to worry about spending
    lots of money on upgrades ... Zol.

    www.irfanview.com & don`t forget to obtain the plugins too from the same site (Z)

    Zol., Dec 7, 2003
  6. Just a quick note about my experience with Irfanview (an excellent program,
    IMHO)--- it does not actually convert the Canon raw files but rather
    extracts the JPG files for viewing.

    gilbert grape, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Steve m...

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I was under the impression that Canon supplied software to read the RAW files
    and convert them to TIFF.

    I know Minolta has a viewer for the raw images from Dimage 7hi (which I own).
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Canon does suuply a proprietary program to view/convert RAW images and
    convert them to TIFF or JPG. However, that program is independent of PS
    Elements 2. They do not (as this time) supply the Adobe plug-in to convert
    their RAW files in PS Elements 2.

    gilbert grape, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Steve m...

    Don Coon Guest

    "gilbert grape" <> wrote in message
    > Just a quick note about my experience with Irfanview (an excellent

    program,
    > IMHO)--- it does not actually convert the Canon raw files but rather
    > extracts the JPG files for viewing.

    Irfanview does have an option plug-in for viewing Canon RAW files (CRW), in
    addition to extracting the embedded JPEG. You need to copy a list of the
    Canon dlls to the CRW plug-in
    folder. I haven't been able to work yet but I really haven't tried too hard
    : )

    Don Coon, Dec 8, 2003
  10. Steve m...

    Zol. Guest

    "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > "gilbert grape" <> wrote in message
    > > Just a quick note about my experience with Irfanview (an excellent

    > program,
    > > IMHO)--- it does not actually convert the Canon raw files but rather
    > > extracts the JPG files for viewing.

    > Irfanview does have an option plug-in for viewing Canon RAW files (CRW), in
    > addition to extracting the embedded JPEG. You need to copy a list of the
    > Canon dlls to the CRW plug-in
    > folder. I haven't been able to work yet but I really haven't tried too hard
    > : )

    It`s easy enough - goto the plugins section of the Irfanview site where you can get the crw
    plugins with all the files needed to download! Zol.

    Zol., Dec 8, 2003
  11. Steve m...

    Don Coon Guest

    > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "gilbert grape" <> wrote in message
    > > > Just a quick note about my experience with Irfanview (an excellent

    > > program,
    > > > IMHO)--- it does not actually convert the Canon raw files but rather
    > > > extracts the JPG files for viewing.

    > > Irfanview does have an option plug-in for viewing Canon RAW files (CRW),

    in
    > > addition to extracting the embedded JPEG. You need to copy a list of the
    > > Canon dlls to the CRW plug-in
    > > folder. I haven't been able to work yet but I really haven't tried too

    hard
    > > : )
    > >

    > It`s easy enough - goto the plugins section of the Irfanview site where

    you can get the crw
    > plugins with all the files needed to download! Zol.

    Did that. Downloaded and installed the full set of plugins. It placed
    crw.dll in a Crw subdirectory and I copied all the listed dlls per the
    readme file.

    If I select "Load using FORMATS-plugins...." I get a true RAW image where
    I'd expect to get the image "as shot". For example, if I shot under
    incandescent light with the WB set to incandescent, I'd expect a color
    corrected image.

    If I select "Load using Canon DLLs...." I get an error message: "Can't start
    CRW DLLs(2)..."

    I've installed all of the DLLs as listed into the CRW subdirectory.

    Appreciate any help.

    Don Coon, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Steve m...

    jas1746 Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Try either Breeze Browser or Capture One, which are stand alone
    programs that convert the RAW files into tiff format. Both work with
    the 300D quite well.

    They both have a free trial period, with the Capture One being fully
    functional for a limited period. The Breeze Browser program will put
    a watermark on all the converted tiffs until it is registered.

    They both work quite well and are a lot faster than the program that
    was provided with the Canon 300D. If I had to pick one, I would give
    Phase One's, Capture One a slight edge.

    JAS

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:04:41 GMT, "Steve m..."
    <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> wrote:

    >I see people talking about using RAW mode to take their pictures. With the
    >300D you get PE 2.0 and of course it is possible to do RAW pictures I'm
    >assuming. I've seen some comments about a plug in for it. Can I get it
    >from somewhere as well ? Is it an extra cost or ?
    >Also, any quick instructions on usage of this would be helpful. If it's a
    >long drawn out thing to do please say so as I'd like to know what I'm
    >getting myself into here.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Steve m... (aspiring DSLR camera buff)

    To reply by e-mail remove the ? from my address.

    jas1746, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Steve m...

    Guest Guest

    Try this I think you can use it.