    installed CS2 along with an old PS and then uninstalled the old one later.
    So I'm trying to make this decision up front.

    Thanks..............PJ

    PJPotter, Sep 20, 2005

  2. PJPotter <> wrote:
    > I've been using Photoshop 7.0 but am getting ready to upgrade to CS2. No
    > where in the instructions does it say that you should uninstall 7.0 first.
    > However, after reading some forum postings on the Adobe website, I began to
    > wonder if it would be a good idea. A Photoshop expert answered my posting
    > and said don't uninstall PS 7.0 because I might want to look back at
    > patterns, etc. He also hinted that PS 7 does some things that CS2 doesn't.
    >
    > I've already made notes of my customized patterns and PS takes up a lot of
    > MB. Anybody else have an opinion about whether these two programs need to
    > reside on the same system? Some people in the forum had problems when they
    > installed CS2 along with an old PS and then uninstalled the old one later.
    > So I'm trying to make this decision up front.

    You can keep them both installed at the same time if you have room. If
    you install plugins, sometimes the plugin will only be installed for one
    version and you will have to copy the plugin over to the other version
    of Photoshop.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 20, 2005

  3. PJPotter

    bmoag Guest

    First install CS2 and work with it for a while. It is a great advance over
    7.
    Transfer any plug-ins you installed into CS: surprisingly some may not be
    compatible with CS2 and if you find that plug-in indispensable you will need
    to keep a working copy of CS on your computer.
    If you later decide to delete CS this should not affect any of the critical
    files for CS2. Unfortunately the uninstall routines for WinXP and Adobe may
    not differentiate between similar CS and CS2 files so a warnng box will come
    up asking if you want to keep or delete certain files. The wisest choice is
    to retain those files although most likely they are orphaned. Such is the
    sophistication of file management in Windows in 2005.

    bmoag, Sep 20, 2005
  4. PJPotter

    David Chien Guest

    Do you ever bother to make full backups of your PC using Symantec Ghost,
    Arconis TrueImage or other backup programs?

    What I'd do here is to make a full backup first (good practice no matter
    what) so that you have something to restore to at anytime your system
    gets messed up, then uninstall 7 and install CS2. That way, you will
    never have to worry about losing anything if the new program install
    messes things up!

    Good insurance for bad uninstall/install programs.

    ---

    Another method, which works fine but a little slower, is to run a
    virtual PC emulator such as Microsoft VirtualPC, VMWare Workstation,
    freeware Bochs emulator (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) & QEMU
    (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html) freeware emulator, etc.

    You can install Windows 98/ME/2000/XP into these emulators, then run
    Photoshop CS2 in that.

    (You can literally have multiple virtual PCs running different OSs and
    programs at the same time, and avoid any damage to your base OS.)

    David Chien, Sep 20, 2005
  5. PJPotter

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >I've been using Photoshop 7.0 but am getting ready to upgrade to CS2. No
    >where in the instructions does it say that you should uninstall 7.0 first.
    >However, after reading some forum postings on the Adobe website, I began to
    >wonder if it would be a good idea. A Photoshop expert answered my posting
    >and said don't uninstall PS 7.0 because I might want to look back at
    >patterns, etc. He also hinted that PS 7 does some things that CS2 doesn't.
    >
    >I've already made notes of my customized patterns and PS takes up a lot of
    >MB. Anybody else have an opinion about whether these two programs need to
    >reside on the same system? Some people in the forum had problems when they
    >installed CS2 along with an old PS and then uninstalled the old one later.
    >So I'm trying to make this decision up front.
    >
    >Thanks..............PJ

    Since you are posting to a "photo" NG, I assume that you will be using PS on
    your images. If that is the case, then CS2 has quite a few features that might
    benefit you, not the least, is Adobe Bridge, which replaces Browser. If you
    also do Web design, page layout, and vector-based art, then the "Premium
    Suite" upgrade might be the way to go.

    As for your question: I always leave a previous ver of PS on my machines,
    especially if there has been a major change in the interface, i.e. 4>5, 6>7,
    and 7>CSx. This allows me to grab an "old friend" when a client wants
    something done instantly. I still have ver 4.0.1 on one machine, just for one
    client's specific needs. While I have never tried running multiple versions on
    one machine, at the same time, I would suppose that if you have the machine
    for it, it would be possible, except for the new "Activation" process within
    CS and CS2. As others have said, your Patterns, you Plug-ins, and Brushes
    should be saved in some form of backup. Most from earlier versions (Brushes
    seem to be a bit of an exception) will work in CS2. Most Actions, except where
    the feature no longer exists, or has been moved in the interface, will
    transfer too. Best to check each one out, and make notes, in case you have to
    re-write it. If you shoot RAW, make sure you download the latest ACR plug-in,
    and don't re-install your camera's mfgr's plug-in, as it will likely overwrite
    the ACR and you'll loose some features.

    Once you are satisfied, and familiar with CS2, you can safely delete PS 7.

    Hope some of this helps,
    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 20, 2005