    confused.

    Thanks,
    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Bill Crocker

    C Wright Guest

    On 9/12/06 4:14 PM, in article ,
    "Bill Crocker" <> wrote:

    > I was just watching a demo on Adobe's beta of Lightroom. Where is this
    > going to fit in the Adobe product line-up? Will it be a replacement for
    > Photoshop, or something that is used in addition to Photoshop? I'm
    > confused.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill Crocker

    I see it as a stand alone program for photographers who want to shoot raw
    but don't want or need the additional heavy duty editing capabilities of
    Photoshop. Or, for photographers who continue to need Photoshop's
    capabilities, Lightroom works as a sort of super viewer/sorter/organizer.
    It is not a replacement for Photoshop; if anything, it would replace Bridge
    which is now a stand alone application but closely integrated with PS.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Bill Crocker

    bmoag Guest

    I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
    it is a free beta.
    I think Adobe genuinely wants feed back about this product which is
    essentially a variant of Bridge.

    bmoag, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Bill Crocker wrote:
    > I was just watching a demo on Adobe's beta of Lightroom. Where is this
    > going to fit in the Adobe product line-up? Will it be a replacement for
    > Photoshop, or something that is used in addition to Photoshop? I'm
    > confused.

    There are 2 separate questions there.

    1. Where will it fit when release 1 is launched?

    See the other responses.

    2. Where will it fit in the long term?

    It is one of a new breed of photograph handling product, using a
    "metadata editing" rather than a "pixel rendering" method. Other
    examples include Apple's Aperture, Nikon's NX, and some others such as
    LightCraft's LightZone.

    As new metadata editing features are added, the need for pixel
    rendering photo-editors such as Photoshop will reduce. There will be a
    steadily-increasing overlap between what we can do with metadata
    editing and what we can do with pixel rendering, although the user
    interfaces will be very different. And this new breed will offer other
    advantages of their own.

    I use Photoshop CS2 daily. I suspect I may never upgrade, but instead
    keep it available for the decreasng number of cases that metadata
    editing can't handle. I must emphasise that this is SUSPICION!

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Bill Crocker

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:21:52 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
    >it is a free beta.

    Most betas are free (Microsoft being the largest deviant).
    Betas are freely distributed in order to get a large beta-testing
    base, so they can find the bugs still left after alpha (which uis
    usually in-house).
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 13, 2006
  6. bmoag <> wrote:
    > I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
    > it is a free beta.

    I don't think that they are too confused. They are going to offer Lightroom
    free to all current registered Pixmatic Premier Raw Shooter users; so clearly
    the end product will be stand alone. I suspect it will potentially be bundled
    with Elements in their more advanced offerings.

    > I think Adobe genuinely wants feed back about this product which is
    > essentially a variant of Bridge.

    Bridge doesn't DO anything. Lightroom does, so there is a glaringly
    significant difference. You can process photos with Lightroom and you can not
    [per se] with Bridge.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Bill Crocker

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Bridge isn't going any place. I don't think Lightroom will ever be offered
    with Elements, Lightroom will cost at least $199 probably more so including
    that with Elements takes Elements out the game for many people. I do think
    it will be offered with Adobe Photoshop which to me is a more proper
    marriage since Lightroom doesn't do pixel level editing and probably at best
    never really will. I am sure they will add something like a clone or healing
    brush tool but that is about it.

    ACR isn't going any place either. Adobe has made that clear. PS CS3 will
    include a new version of Bridge and a new version of ACR.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 14, 2006
  8. Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    [snip]
    > I do think
    > it will be offered with Adobe Photoshop which to me is a more proper
    > marriage since Lightroom doesn't do pixel level editing and probably at best
    > never really will. I am sure they will add something like a clone or healing
    > brush tool but that is about it.

    [snip]

    It will eventually be FAR more than that!

    - Crop and rotate and all the features of ACR are obvious candidates.

    - Nikon's NX uses metadata editing. It has "control points" that
    perform a sort of selection to which editing can be applied.

    - LightCraft's LightZone can do metadata editing on tone zones.

    - Nikon's Capture has long been able to do red-eye reduction and
    sensor-dust removal.

    - Obviously metadata editing will eventually be able to everything that
    actions in Photoshop can do. After all, actions are a form of metadata
    editing!

    Metadata editing is only limited by our imagination, and the need for
    processing power.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 14, 2006
  9. Bill Crocker

    Ol' Bab Guest

    Re: Adobe Lightroom, ?? metadata editing

    Barry Pearson wrote:
    > It is one of a new breed of photograph handling product, using a
    > "metadata editing" rather than a "pixel rendering" method. Other
    > examples include Apple's Aperture, Nikon's NX, and some others such as
    > LightCraft's LightZone.
    >
    > As new metadata editing features are added, the need for pixel
    > rendering photo-editors such as Photoshop will reduce.

    How the HECK can editing a picture's metadata do pixel editing?

    I googled on metadata editing and found nothing in the first
    three pages of returns that looked applicable to manipulating
    an image. Plenty of stuff that implied dealing with a "super
    keyword" block of data.

    No, I'm not grumpy, just mystified...

    Ol' Bab

    Ol' Bab, Sep 17, 2006
  10. Bill Crocker

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Re: Adobe Lightroom, ?? metadata editing

    What he means is your image isn't altered, not the original. All changes you
    make in Lightroom are done and stored as metadata. Not in the file yet, but
    when LR ships it will be stored in the file. LR and other programs read this
    meta data and apply the changes to it. LR DOES NOT DO pixel level editing.
    It does image level editing.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 17, 2006