Adobe goes into back-peddling panic mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 4, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 4, 2013

  2. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    J. Clarke, Jun 5, 2013

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 5, 5:58 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > > Whatsamatter?  The pseudo-Marxist plot to turn America into a rental
    > > economy for services from an ownership economy not going down so well?

    > I guess IBM was pseudo-marxist in the sixties.
    >
    >   BugBear

    Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    Services" in-place of owned programs.
    You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.
    RichA, Jun 6, 2013
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    > Services" in-place of owned programs.

    lots of companies are and expect more in the future.

    > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    no.
    nospam, Jun 6, 2013
  5. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
    []
    > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    > Services" in-place of owned programs.
    > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jun 6, 2013
  6. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:42:29 PM UTC+1, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded

    > > Services" in-place of owned programs.

    > > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    > Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).

    Yes but the trick is only inform the view of other programs you make that way it's not classed as advertising, and then you can get componies to sponer programs and again this isn't advertising. ;-0

    One thing that I can blame the USA for are those so called 'info' commercials.
    UNless I can find another country to blame/
    Whisky-dave, Jun 6, 2013
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:42 am, David Taylor <david-
    > wrote:
    > On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
    > []
    >
    > > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    > > Services" in-place of owned programs.
    > > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    > Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > David
    > Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

    Explains why the U.S. economy's value has increase by 400% over the
    past 20 years yet the average person is no better off.
    RichA, Jun 7, 2013
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/7/2013 4:54 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 7:42 am, David Taylor <david-
    > > wrote:
    >> On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
    >> []
    >>
    >>> Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    >>> Services" in-place of owned programs.
    >>> You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    >> Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> David
    >> Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

    > Explains why the U.S. economy's value has increase by 400% over the
    > past 20 years yet the average person is no better off.

    And just how is the Canadian economic situation any different.
    Please explain your point.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
  9. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:06:22 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    wrote:

    >In article <050620132227332978%>, nospam
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
    >> > Services" in-place of owned programs.

    >> lots of companies are and expect more in the future.
    >>
    >> > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

    >> no.

    >This is nothing new, just more signs of the MBAs taking over from the
    >programmers and marketing people.

    What is the difference between "marketing people" and "MBAs"? An MBA
    is simply an advanced degree. Many "marketing people" have MBAs. The
    MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. Marketing is part
    of business administration.

    MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

    They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    just expanding the task given to them.

    A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    what he's assigned to keep track of.

    >Selling an indefinite license gives
    >you big spikes in the revenue stream, and accountants HATE that. They
    >want a nice, smooth flow of money, like the electric utility.

    Accountants merely keep track of the income/outgo. The management
    people who are concerned with revenue flow are the ones who feel that
    the numbers affect the share prices.

    >Twenty years ago, my sales manager (at ComputerLand, of all places) was
    >trying to get me away from the big deals: "I don't want a
    >million-dollar PO; I want a customer who'll spend $100,000 EVERY MONTH.

    Do the math. Your $100k a month customer spends more in a year than
    your million-dollar one-time buyer, and he is likely to continue to
    spend at that rate. Your sales manager was looking at the big
    picture.

    I doubt if your sales manager discouraged you from taking a
    million-dollar order, but he was right in encouraging you to look for
    customers who would buy and continue to buy.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 7, 2013
  10. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    > degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    > decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    > organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    > to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    > Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

    wrong. so very wrong. programmers often originate the ideas (and
    implement them) and then other people decide what to do with those
    ideas.

    > They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    > just expanding the task given to them.

    nope, they often come up with most or all of the product, and then
    others decide if it's worth publishing and in what form.

    these days, an indie developer does it all.

    > A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    > function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    > something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    > doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    > anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    > what he's assigned to keep track of.

    you don't understand software development.
    nospam, Jun 7, 2013
  11. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:44:22 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    >> degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    >> decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    >> organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    >> to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    >> Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

    >wrong. so very wrong. programmers often originate the ideas (and
    >implement them) and then other people decide what to do with those
    >ideas.
    >
    >> They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    >> just expanding the task given to them.

    >nope, they often come up with most or all of the product, and then
    >others decide if it's worth publishing and in what form.
    >
    >these days, an indie developer does it all.
    >
    >> A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    >> function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    >> something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    >> doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    >> anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    >> what he's assigned to keep track of.

    >you don't understand software development.

    Your arrival in this thread is as expected as a morning bowel
    movement.

    "Programmer" is a job title. A person who develops software is not
    going to have that job title. Many people have programming ability,
    including some MBAs, but programmers are the mechanics of the field.

    If I wanted to comment on program developers, I would have done so.
    You're just hacking out a new garden path.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 7, 2013
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/7/2013 1:44 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    >> degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    >> decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    >> organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    >> to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    >> Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

    > wrong. so very wrong. programmers often originate the ideas (and
    > implement them) and then other people decide what to do with those
    > ideas.
    >
    >> They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    >> just expanding the task given to them.

    > nope, they often come up with most or all of the product, and then
    > others decide if it's worth publishing and in what form.
    >
    > these days, an indie developer does it all.
    >
    >> A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    >> function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    >> something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    >> doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    >> anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    >> what he's assigned to keep track of.

    > you don't understand software development.

    Here's how it works, at least in custom designed software.
    (simplified so you can understand it.)
    Management makes a decision on what its needs are.
    The business analyst creates a programming flow on how, if feasible to
    implement, may even have to convince management to revise its requirements.
    Programmers write the code for the implementation;
    Business analyst tests the code,

    BTW business analysts paid a lot more than programmers.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
  13. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > "Programmer" is a job title. A person who develops software is not
    > going to have that job title.

    someone who develops software is a programmer. just what do you think
    they do, if not write programs?

    the exact title means nothing. many programmers have creative titles,
    rather than 'senior programmer' or something equally boring.

    you're talking out your ass, again.

    > Many people have programming ability,
    > including some MBAs, but programmers are the mechanics of the field.

    long ago maybe, but certainly not now.

    you're wrong.
    nospam, Jun 7, 2013
  14. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <51b2231e$0$10757$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Here's how it works, at least in custom designed software.
    > (simplified so you can understand it.)
    > Management makes a decision on what its needs are.
    > The business analyst creates a programming flow on how, if feasible to
    > implement, may even have to convince management to revise its requirements.
    > Programmers write the code for the implementation;
    > Business analyst tests the code,

    there are companies who write to spec, but that's the minority of
    programming.

    typically, *both* programmers and management come up with ideas.
    management generally wants the impossible and programmers bring it back
    to reality. in no case does a business analyst, who hasn't a clue about
    programming, come up with anything related to programming or
    feasibility because it's not part of their skill set.

    furthermore, business analysts do not test anything. that's sqa and
    beta testers, who then submit bug reports back to the programmers who
    then fix the bugs and release a new build to be tested.

    other times, programmers themselves come up with the ideas and pitch
    them to the higher-ups. for instance, google employees spend a portion
    of their time working on any pet project they want. some of those pet
    projects become real products, including gmail and google+ (originally
    wave). those weren't ideas that management came up with. they were
    ideas that programmers came up with.

    > BTW business analysts paid a lot more than programmers.

    no they definitely aren't. programmers can easily make quite a bit more
    than any analyst and many times they can write their own ticket.
    nospam, Jun 7, 2013
  15. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 14:15:03 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> "Programmer" is a job title. A person who develops software is not
    >> going to have that job title.

    >someone who develops software is a programmer. just what do you think
    >they do, if not write programs?
    >
    >the exact title means nothing. many programmers have creative titles,
    >rather than 'senior programmer' or something equally boring.
    >
    >you're talking out your ass, again.
    >
    >> Many people have programming ability,
    >> including some MBAs, but programmers are the mechanics of the field.

    >long ago maybe, but certainly not now.
    >
    >you're wrong.

    If a person's job title is "programmer", he does programming. If he
    does more than that, his job title will reflect that. Job titles,
    like salary, are important to people. Your comment that titles mean
    nothing exposes you're complete lack of understanding human nature and
    the business world. A company can often get away with denying a raise
    in salary just by giving the person a more important sounding title.

    Programming is a function. Programmer is a job description. No
    software developer hands out a business card saying he's a programmer.
    His functional abilities may include programming, and his job
    description may require programming skills, but you can be damn sure
    he doesn't see himself as a programmer and doesn't want other people
    to see him that way.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 7, 2013
  16. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > If a person's job title is "programmer", he does programming.

    no kidding.

    > If he does more than that, his job title will reflect that.

    maybe. not always.

    > Job titles,
    > like salary, are important to people.

    maybe titles once did, but not anymore. what matters more is what the
    job actually is and how it's changing the world. now, people get
    creative with job titles rather than use old stodgy boring ones.

    <http://www.canada.com/When+title+just+title/6314032/story.html>
    "We're definitely seeing it at all levels, across a wide range of
    industries," he says. "Tech companies have been showing innovation in
    their business titles for a while now, but we're also seeing it a lot
    in jobs ranging from cleaning services to transportation to plumbing.
    Titles like 'executive' or 'manager' don't have as much meaning in
    some people's minds nowadays."

    As immortalized in the movie The Social Network, Facebook founder
    Mark Zuckerberg once ordered business cards reading: "I'm CEO,
    bitch." Job titles at branding consultancy I-Am Associates include
    Success Catalyst, Daydream Believer and Stone TurnerOverer.

    > Your comment that titles mean
    > nothing exposes you're complete lack of understanding human nature and
    > the business world. A company can often get away with denying a raise
    > in salary just by giving the person a more important sounding title.

    not if they want to keep their talent, they don't.
    nospam, Jun 7, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/7/2013 1:27 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:06:22 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <050620132227332978%>, nospam
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,

    >>> lots of companies are and expect more in the future.

    >>> no.

    >> This is nothing new, just more signs of the MBAs taking over from the
    >> programmers and marketing people.

    > What is the difference between "marketing people" and "MBAs"? An MBA
    > is simply an advanced degree. Many "marketing people" have MBAs. The
    > MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. Marketing is part
    > of business administration.

    True

    > MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    > degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    > decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    > organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    > to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    > Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

    A programmer only writes the code to accomplish the task. However, in
    many cases management uses a business analyst to translate business
    requirements into geek. One of the biggest problems with programmers is
    getting them to stop, when a practical result has been reached. See my
    reply to nospam for the difference between a programmer and a business
    analyst.

    > They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    > just expanding the task given to them.
    >
    > A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    > function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    > something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    > doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    > anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    > what he's assigned to keep track of.
    >
    >> Selling an indefinite license gives
    >> you big spikes in the revenue stream, and accountants HATE that. They
    >> want a nice, smooth flow of money, like the electric utility.
    >>

    > Accountants merely keep track of the income/outgo. The management
    > people who are concerned with revenue flow are the ones who feel that
    > the numbers affect the share prices.

    You have described a bookkeeper, not an accountant.
    Good accountants also: give management financial advice, including, but
    not limited to, assistance in obtaining financing, cost analysis, cash
    flow analysis, leasing v pruchase decisions, tax effects of financial
    decisions, etc.

    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/7/2013 2:49 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <51b2231e$0$10757$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Here's how it works, at least in custom designed software.
    >> (simplified so you can understand it.)
    >> Management makes a decision on what its needs are.
    >> The business analyst creates a programming flow on how, if feasible to
    >> implement, may even have to convince management to revise its requirements.
    >> Programmers write the code for the implementation;
    >> Business analyst tests the code,

    > there are companies who write to spec, but that's the minority of
    > programming.
    >
    > typically, *both* programmers and management come up with ideas.
    > management generally wants the impossible and programmers bring it back
    > to reality. in no case does a business analyst, who hasn't a clue about
    > programming, come up with anything related to programming or
    > feasibility because it's not part of their skill set.
    >
    > furthermore, business analysts do not test anything. that's sqa and
    > beta testers, who then submit bug reports back to the programmers who
    > then fix the bugs and release a new build to be tested.

    I specifically referred to in house IT departments. The analysts tests
    the programs to ensure it meets the business requirements. Schedules are
    very tight, and 90-100 hour weeks are not uncommon for the two months
    before the new program goes live. BTW are you aware that crash recovery
    in some businesses is under five seconds? Access security for some
    institutions is tighter than the US Govt. They do not use beta testers.
    everything is internal.

    > other times, programmers themselves come up with the ideas and pitch
    > them to the higher-ups. for instance, google employees spend a portion
    > of their time working on any pet project they want. some of those pet
    > projects become real products, including gmail and google+ (originally
    > wave). those weren't ideas that management came up with. they were
    > ideas that programmers came up with.
    >
    >> BTW business analysts paid a lot more than programmers.

    > no they definitely aren't. programmers can easily make quite a bit more
    > than any analyst and many times they can write their own ticket.

    For clarity I am calling using the term programmer as equal to code writer.
    Are you speaking with knowledge?
    I have actual knowledge of pay scales, based on what people actually do.

    Strange, I know well paid business analysts who can't write two lines of
    code.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
  19. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:49:30 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> If a person's job title is "programmer", he does programming.

    >no kidding.
    >
    >> If he does more than that, his job title will reflect that.

    >maybe. not always.
    >
    >> Job titles,
    >> like salary, are important to people.

    >maybe titles once did, but not anymore. what matters more is what the
    >job actually is and how it's changing the world. now, people get
    >creative with job titles rather than use old stodgy boring ones.
    >
    ><http://www.canada.com/When+title+just+title/6314032/story.html>
    > "We're definitely seeing it at all levels, across a wide range of
    > industries," he says. "Tech companies have been showing innovation in
    > their business titles for a while now, but we're also seeing it a lot
    > in jobs ranging from cleaning services to transportation to plumbing.
    > Titles like 'executive' or 'manager' don't have as much meaning in
    > some people's minds nowadays."

    Do you realize that you have just proved my point?

    "Showing innovation" is just another term for "making employees feel
    better by giving them more important titles". If the title is still
    "programmer", the employee and the employer both feel the title
    reflects the job...which is just programming.

    > As immortalized in the movie The Social Network, Facebook founder
    > Mark Zuckerberg once ordered business cards reading: "I'm CEO,
    > bitch." Job titles at branding consultancy I-Am Associates include
    > Success Catalyst, Daydream Believer and Stone TurnerOverer.
    >
    >> Your comment that titles mean
    >> nothing exposes you're complete lack of understanding human nature and
    >> the business world. A company can often get away with denying a raise
    >> in salary just by giving the person a more important sounding title.

    >not if they want to keep their talent, they don't.

    All "talent" is not equal. "Can often..." recognizes this and says
    that if marginal talent can be kept with a title promotion, then the
    talent stays. If the marginal talent can't be retained with this type
    of puffery, then the company says "So long" and plugs in another
    person.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 7, 2013
  20. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 16:32:30 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/7/2013 1:27 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:06:22 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> This is nothing new, just more signs of the MBAs taking over from the
    >>> programmers and marketing people.

    >> What is the difference between "marketing people" and "MBAs"? An MBA
    >> is simply an advanced degree. Many "marketing people" have MBAs. The
    >> MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. Marketing is part
    >> of business administration.

    >True
    >

    >> MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
    >> degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
    >> decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
    >> organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
    >> to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
    >> Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.
    >>

    >A programmer only writes the code to accomplish the task. However, in
    >many cases management uses a business analyst to translate business
    >requirements into geek. One of the biggest problems with programmers is
    >getting them to stop, when a practical result has been reached. See my
    >reply to nospam for the difference between a programmer and a business
    >analyst.
    >

    >> They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
    >> just expanding the task given to them.
    >>
    >> A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
    >> function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
    >> something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
    >> doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
    >> anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
    >> what he's assigned to keep track of.
    >>
    >>> Selling an indefinite license gives
    >>> you big spikes in the revenue stream, and accountants HATE that. They
    >>> want a nice, smooth flow of money, like the electric utility.
    >>>

    >> Accountants merely keep track of the income/outgo. The management
    >> people who are concerned with revenue flow are the ones who feel that
    >> the numbers affect the share prices.

    >You have described a bookkeeper, not an accountant.
    >Good accountants also: give management financial advice, including, but
    >not limited to, assistance in obtaining financing, cost analysis, cash
    >flow analysis, leasing v pruchase decisions, tax effects of financial
    >decisions, etc.

    I shouldn't slight the role of an accountant. All of what you said
    above is true, but the accountant shouldn't let the share price affect
    his decisions on the above points.

    If you want to look at the OP's rather naif comment as a cash flow
    problem, then the accountant might prefer regular feedings instead of
    binging. I doubt if the OP is that aware, though.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 7, 2013