    conflicting posts that it is only useful with CRT monitors and hence
    do not hence any indication whther I should be using it with my LCD
    monitor or not.
    M. Mike, Dec 12, 2003

  2. M. Mike

    Chris Cox Guest

    No, it doesn't work well for non-CRT displays.

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Dec 13, 2003

  3. M. Mike

    Pood Guest

    On 12 Dec 2003 14:10:40 -0800, (M. Mike) wrote:

    >Can Adobe Gamma be used with LCD monitors or not? I have read
    >conflicting posts that it is only useful with CRT monitors and hence
    >do not hence any indication whther I should be using it with my LCD
    >monitor or not.

    You are instructed to disable the Adobe Gamma Loader before utilizing
    profiles created by the Spyder cal unit, otherwise you'd have one
    profile on top of another. I don't think the Adobe Gamma Loader is a
    good thing to use with LCDs, at least that's been my experience.
    Pood, Dec 13, 2003
  4. M. Mike

    Stephen Guest

    In article <>, M. Mike
    <> wrote:

    >> Can Adobe Gamma be used with LCD monitors or not?

    When I upgraded to Photoshop CS I found that the display on both LCD
    monitors was unusable, thanks to Adobe Gamma - horribly dark. Eventually I
    had to remove Adobe Gamma from the startup folder altogether.

    If you search through Google etc you will find that most questions about
    how to use Photoshop on LCD monitors are answered with "you should use a
    CRT instead". That's all very well, but quite a lot of us DO have LCD
    monitors, and it is pretty annoying that Adobe don't support this.
    Stephen, Dec 13, 2003
  5. M. Mike

    Tony H Guest

    Stephen <> wrote:

    >In article <>, M. Mike
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can Adobe Gamma be used with LCD monitors or not?

    >When I upgraded to Photoshop CS I found that the display on both LCD
    >monitors was unusable, thanks to Adobe Gamma - horribly dark. Eventually I
    >had to remove Adobe Gamma from the startup folder altogether.
    >
    >If you search through Google etc you will find that most questions about
    >how to use Photoshop on LCD monitors are answered with "you should use a
    >CRT instead". That's all very well, but quite a lot of us DO have LCD
    >monitors, and it is pretty annoying that Adobe don't support this.

    I use Adobe Gamma with an LCD screen and find it OK. I think the main
    problem (if you can call it that) with LCD screens is that they have a
    much higher contrast than CRTs. If you reduce the LCD contrast to
    about 200:1 then you stand a better chance of getting decent results
    with Adobe Gamma.

    TH
    Tony H, Dec 14, 2003
  6. M. Mike

    Don F Guest

    "Tony H" <> wrote in message
    > I use Adobe Gamma with an LCD screen and find it OK. I think the main
    > problem (if you can call it that) with LCD screens is that they have a
    > much higher contrast than CRTs. If you reduce the LCD contrast to
    > about 200:1 then you stand a better chance of getting decent results
    > with Adobe Gamma.
    >
    > TH

    --------------------
    I have, what I find to be, a good quality LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster
    172T). This was my first LCD monitor. It is (was) a relatively expensive
    monitor which advertised a good contrast spec.. When I call up my screen
    adjustment menu, the "contrast" adjust bar is shown but it is grayed out
    which implies that contrast adjustment is not possible.
    Is it possible to adjust the contrast using some method other than the on
    screen menu? Why have the menu (which shows 50% contrast) if it cannot be
    changed?
    TIA
    Don F
    Don F, Dec 14, 2003
  7. M. Mike

    Stephen Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:06:50 -0500, "Don F" <> wrote:

    > When I call up my screen
    >adjustment menu, the "contrast" adjust bar is shown but it is grayed out
    >which implies that contrast adjustment is not possible.
    > Is it possible to adjust the contrast using some method other than the on
    >screen menu?

    Are you using a DVI interface to your PC? When you connect a monitor using
    a digital interface, most of the adjustments are disabled.
    Stephen, Dec 14, 2003
  8. M. Mike

    Tony H Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote:

    >"Tony H" <> wrote in message
    >> I use Adobe Gamma with an LCD screen and find it OK. I think the main
    >> problem (if you can call it that) with LCD screens is that they have a
    >> much higher contrast than CRTs. If you reduce the LCD contrast to
    >> about 200:1 then you stand a better chance of getting decent results
    >> with Adobe Gamma.
    >>
    >> TH

    >--------------------
    > I have, what I find to be, a good quality LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster
    >172T). This was my first LCD monitor. It is (was) a relatively expensive
    >monitor which advertised a good contrast spec.. When I call up my screen
    >adjustment menu, the "contrast" adjust bar is shown but it is grayed out
    >which implies that contrast adjustment is not possible.
    > Is it possible to adjust the contrast using some method other than the on
    >screen menu? Why have the menu (which shows 50% contrast) if it cannot be
    >changed?
    >TIA
    >Don F

    It might be possible through software that came with your graphics
    card. It is with mine (NVIDIA GEForce 2) but I don't use it, because
    it sometimes conflicts with Adobe Gamma on start-up.

    TH
    Tony H, Dec 14, 2003
  9. M. Mike

    Don F Guest

    "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > Are you using a DVI interface to your PC? When you connect a monitor

    using a digital interface, most of the adjustments are disabled.

    ---------------------
    I am using a DVI interface. Thanks, Stephen, that answers my question.
    Now ... is it beneficial to sacrifice a DVI interface for contrast
    adjustment using only the Adobe gamma utility for calinbration or would the
    result be marginal at best with an LCD monitor?
    I have an Epson printer and I sometimes wonder if I would have more
    success making printing adjustments (using the many print options) so that
    my prints approach what I see on the monitor rather than try to calibrate
    my monitor so that my prints approach WSIWYG with no printer manipulation.
    Don F
    Don F, Dec 14, 2003
  10. M. Mike

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    I have a 20" Dell LCD monitor and have found that by using the display
    settings (right click on desktop, properties, settings, advanced in
    Windows), I can make slight changes to the gamma of the display and match my
    inkjet printer. The nice thing about doing it this way, it corrects the
    monitor for all photo programs, not just adobe's.

    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Dec 15, 2003
  11. M. Mike

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    On 14-Dec-2003, (Tony H) wrote:

    > I use Adobe Gamma with an LCD screen and find it OK. I think the main
    > problem (if you can call it that) with LCD screens is that they have a
    > much higher contrast than CRTs. If you reduce the LCD contrast to
    > about 200:1 then you stand a better chance of getting decent results
    > with Adobe Gamma.
    >
    > TH

    I'll have to try that. I haven't tried Adobe Gamma with my LCD screen. I
    know, in general, turning the brightness and the contrast down greatly
    improve the image. Reducing sharpness also helps with imaging.

    Harry
    Harry Da Hat, Dec 15, 2003
  12. M. Mike

    cma6

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I just bought a Flexscan S2100 LCD to replace my Sony CRT. How do I calibrate the Flexscan if I cannot use Adobe Gamma? Is there no way to calibrate a LCD monitor?
    Thanks, CMA
    cma6, May 11, 2008