Adobe Flash Reader 10 Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.

    I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
    known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to be.
    I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the content
    works properly.

    I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.

    The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
    listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
    Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back, but
    the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe does not
    provide support that is worth a damn, even when the troubleshooting guide
    takes you to a phone number that makes no mention of the support that isn't
    available -- an hour on hold, twice, before they told me they don't have
    phone support.

    There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
    entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then seek
    out Flash content with File>Open.

    Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I can't
    find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that doesn't mean
    there isn't one.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 26, 2010

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
    >
    > I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
    > known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to be.
    > I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the content
    > works properly.
    >
    > I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
    >
    > The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
    > listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
    > Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back, but
    > the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe does not
    > provide support that is worth a damn, even when the troubleshooting guide
    > takes you to a phone number that makes no mention of the support that isn't
    > available -- an hour on hold, twice, before they told me they don't have
    > phone support.
    >
    > There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
    > entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then seek
    > out Flash content with File>Open.
    >
    > Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I can't
    > find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that doesn't mean
    > there isn't one.

    I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
    one from here. It is a ZIP file.

    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

    2/11/2010

    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flash_player_update_201002_flash10.zip

    In the "Release" folder is the standalone player "FlashPlayer.exe".

    The file ending in "...ActiveX.exe" installs flash in IE.

    The file ending in "...Plugin.exe" installs flash in Netscape (Firefox) browsers.

    If your Flash won't run in IE, then it could be a security setting. I don't
    run the latest IE so can't help you there.

    *******

    This test page, used to test both Shockwave and Flash. But the
    simplicity of the previous test was too much for them. The Flash
    test page now, plays some streaming content, instead of presenting
    a simple dialog with details of the install.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 26, 2010

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
    >>
    >> I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
    >> known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to
    >> be. I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the
    >> content works properly.
    >>
    >> I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
    >>
    >> The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
    >> listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
    >> Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back,
    >> but the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe
    >> does not provide support that is worth a damn, even when the
    >> troubleshooting guide takes you to a phone number that makes no mention
    >> of the support that isn't available -- an hour on hold, twice, before
    >> they told me they don't have phone support.
    >>
    >> There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
    >> entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then
    >> seek out Flash content with File>Open.
    >>
    >> Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I
    >> can't find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that
    >> doesn't mean there isn't one.
    >>

    > I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
    > one from here. It is a ZIP file.

    I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
    complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to Custom,
    for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is the default
    setting, and it didn't help.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 26, 2010
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
    >>>
    >>> I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
    >>> known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to
    >>> be. I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the
    >>> content works properly.
    >>>
    >>> I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
    >>>
    >>> The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
    >>> listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
    >>> Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back,
    >>> but the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe
    >>> does not provide support that is worth a damn, even when the
    >>> troubleshooting guide takes you to a phone number that makes no mention
    >>> of the support that isn't available -- an hour on hold, twice, before
    >>> they told me they don't have phone support.
    >>>
    >>> There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
    >>> entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then
    >>> seek out Flash content with File>Open.
    >>>
    >>> Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I
    >>> can't find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that
    >>> doesn't mean there isn't one.
    >>>

    >> I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
    >> one from here. It is a ZIP file.
    >>

    > I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
    > complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to
    > Custom, for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is the
    > default setting, and it didn't help.

    You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was having
    a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.

    Julie Bove, Feb 26, 2010
  5. "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
    >>> one from here. It is a ZIP file.
    >>>

    >> I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
    >> complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to
    >> Custom, for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is
    >> the default setting, and it didn't help.

    > You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was
    > having a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.

    Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.

    What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier version of
    the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 26, 2010
  6. Jeff Strickland

    > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
    >>> complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to
    >>> Custom, for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is
    >>> the default setting, and it didn't help.

    >> You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was
    >> having a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.
    >>

    > Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.
    >
    > What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier version
    > of the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.

    Ah... I had to do that once myself. I can't remember the issue now. Seems
    it was a few years ago. Something about it not being compatible with
    something or other I needed to do. That's all I can remember.

    Last time I did the uninstall and reinstall (which was recently), they did
    an update to it not long after. Luckily that didn't cause any problems.

    Julie Bove, Feb 27, 2010
  7. "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    >>> You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was
    >>> having a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.
    >>>

    >> Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.
    >>
    >> What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier version
    >> of the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.

    > Ah... I had to do that once myself. I can't remember the issue now.
    > Seems it was a few years ago. Something about it not being compatible
    > with something or other I needed to do. That's all I can remember.
    >
    > Last time I did the uninstall and reinstall (which was recently), they did
    > an update to it not long after. Luckily that didn't cause any problems.

    Are you running Vista, IE8, and Flash 10 Player?

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 27, 2010
  8. Jeff Strickland

    > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    >>> Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.
    >>>
    >>> What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier
    >>> version of the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.

    >> Ah... I had to do that once myself. I can't remember the issue now.
    >> Seems it was a few years ago. Something about it not being compatible
    >> with something or other I needed to do. That's all I can remember.
    >>
    >> Last time I did the uninstall and reinstall (which was recently), they
    >> did an update to it not long after. Luckily that didn't cause any
    >> problems.
    >>

    > Are you running Vista, IE8, and Flash 10 Player?

    No. Sorry.

    Julie Bove, Feb 27, 2010
  9. Jeff Strickland

    Ken Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Julie Bove"<> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Julie Bove"<> wrote in message

    >>> Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.
    >>>
    >>> What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier version
    >>> of the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.

    >> Ah... I had to do that once myself. I can't remember the issue now.
    >> Seems it was a few years ago. Something about it not being compatible
    >> with something or other I needed to do. That's all I can remember.
    >>
    >> Last time I did the uninstall and reinstall (which was recently), they did
    >> an update to it not long after. Luckily that didn't cause any problems.
    >>

    > Are you running Vista, IE8, and Flash 10 Player?

    I do not know if this will apply to your problem, but I use a Mozilla
    browser and have had problems installing Flash in the past. The problem
    was that for some reason (perhaps a previous version's location) the
    updated version was placing the plugin file NPSWF32.dll in the wrong
    folder. You might check to see if this file resides in the folder where
    your plugins are. If not, you could search for the file then copy and
    paste it into the folder containing your plugins. If it works, fine.
    If it doesn't, then delete the pasted file.

    Ken, Feb 27, 2010