    added on.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 9, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Freesias" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:34:29 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Not only youtube, other sites say I need the latest Adobe Flash Player.
    >>
    >> I've been looking at the add on list I can see Adobe reader, and
    >> Shockwave Flash object, both enabled.
    >>
    >> Adobe says I've got Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed. Should that
    >> also appear on the add on list? It isn't there.
    >>
    >> Is that the problem? If so, how do I add Adobe Flash player to the add
    >> on list please? There doesn't seem to be anything there where an add on
    >> can be added on.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > You do not mention which browser, and which operating system you are
    > using.
    >
    > Also, can you give an example of which website(s) is asking you to
    > upgrade your installation of Flash?

    Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7, Outlook Express 6.

    Youtube says every time that I need the latest Flash and Javascript enabled.
    Also consumer.org's price comparison site says the same.
    Geopelia, Aug 10, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g7l2hf$mpu$>,
    > says...
    >> Not only youtube, other sites say I need the latest Adobe Flash Player.
    >>
    >> I've been looking at the add on list I can see Adobe reader, and
    >> Shockwave Flash object, both enabled.
    >>
    >> Adobe says I've got Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed. Should that
    >> also
    >> appear on the add on list? It isn't there.
    >>
    >> Is that the problem? If so, how do I add Adobe Flash player to the add on
    >> list please? There doesn't seem to be anything there where an add on can
    >> be
    >> added on.

    > Geo
    >
    > I'll reiterate my earlier advice to you (see below). To get a clean
    > install of Flash you must first uninstall the previous version. You
    > should download the uninstaller, run it to clear out any versions of
    > Flash you have and then reinstall.
    >
    > If you are using Internet Exploder (IE) then the install runs an ActiveX
    > component. If you have ActiveX blocked (which many folk recommend) the
    > install won't work.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > First get rid of any Flash installs already on your machine.
    > http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

    I looked at this website, but it is much too complicated for me to try.
    I'll ask the computer man to do it

    > Download the latest version:
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1
    > _Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/zgkz2
    >
    > Following the installation instructions:
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/
    >
    > Note that if you're using IE, the recomended installation method is to
    > install it "live" rather than downloading the install executible and
    > then running it. But to do this you've got to allow an ActiveX control
    > to run.
    >
    > For other browsers you download the file then run it.

    I'll save all this in case the computer man isn't familiar with it, but I
    expect he knows.

    Thank you for your advice. I'll let you know you how it works out.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 10, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    There could be another problem. We had a long power cut tonight, and when
    the computer was restarted it said "Attention no video input". That also
    came up a few weeks ago.

    How do I get video input please? Is there something to click, or do I need
    the computer man to get into the works?

    Could that be causing the adobe problem?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 10, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> There could be another problem. We had a long power cut tonight, and when
    >> the computer was restarted it said "Attention no video input". That also
    >> came up a few weeks ago.
    >>
    >> How do I get video input please? Is there something to click, or do I
    >> need the computer man to get into the works?
    >>
    >> Could that be causing the adobe problem?

    > Check that the monitor is connected to the computer.
    >
    > Turn on the computer.

    I did that. When the power was cut I disconnected the plug in case of a
    power surge (I have a surge protector). When I put the plug back and turned
    the computer on the message came up.

    Would I have video input now everything is working again please?
    Geopelia, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> Check that the monitor is connected to the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Turn on the computer.
    >>>

    >> I did that. When the power was cut I disconnected the plug in case of a
    >> power surge (I have a surge protector). When I put the plug back and
    >> turned the computer on the message came up.
    >>
    >> Would I have video input now everything is working again please?

    > The video is the image generated by the computer.
    >
    > If you can see windows and the newsgroups you have video input to the
    > monitor.
    >
    > The "Attention no video input" message is generated by the monitor when it
    > is turned on and the computer is either off or not connected to the
    > monitor.

    Well I can do that. I wonder why I got that message. Perhaps because I
    hadn't connected to xtra then. Or perhaps the monitor and the computer
    hadn't started talking, after the power cut.
    Good to know things are OK, thanks.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 11, 2008
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Well I can do that. I wonder why I got that message. Perhaps because I
    >> hadn't connected to xtra then.

    > No , nothing to doing with connecting to the internet. It's because the
    > power had been off then on. Once you start computer aand close it down
    > normally, the message may go away. Or not. It's not importasnt, unless it
    > stays on the monitor forever.
    >
    >>Or perhaps the monitor and the computer
    >> hadn't started talking, after the power cut.
    >> Good to know things are OK, thanks.

    > I also have a problem with the mess that is Flash Player. On my 'family'
    > PC it works on the main account, but not others. All have Admin rights.
    > It just keeps up with that same 'not insatlled or disabled' message on the
    > 'other' accounts. Have gone thru all the IE config and
    > deinstal;l/reinstall, complete removal, reinstall, blaa, blaa. Must be
    > some other oddity in my system....
    >
    > And then Adobe go and confuse everything further by additionally offering
    > a 'Shockwave' download. Jeepers, I thought that was what the Flash Player
    > was. Arrrrgh !

    I'll leave mine to the computer man. He seems to know just about everything.
    I'm baffled.

    Geopelia, Aug 11, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Re: Adobe Flash Player How many bits?

    Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The computer
    man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it has
    got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I have
    64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.

    Is there something I should click to change bits?

    Geopelia, Aug 12, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    > computer
    > man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it
    > has
    > got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I
    > have
    > 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    > I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >
    > Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >
    > Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Geo, if you right click My Computer, and select properties, it will give
    you the processor details on bottom right. For what (as far as I know) you
    use your machine for, he would have put in a 32 bit processor. As far as I
    know, if he installed a 64 bit processor, you would also need a 64 bit
    version of windows, so I doubt that has happened... But then on the very
    odd occasion, I have been known to be wrong... Cheers
    Tony in Oz, Aug 12, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    >> computer
    >> man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it
    >> has
    >> got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I
    >> have
    >> 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    >> I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >>
    >> Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >>
    >> Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Geo, if you right click My Computer, and select properties, it will
    > give you the processor details on bottom right. For what (as far as I
    > know) you use your machine for, he would have put in a 32 bit processor.
    > As far as I know, if he installed a 64 bit processor, you would also need
    > a 64 bit version of windows, so I doubt that has happened... But then on
    > the very odd occasion, I have been known to be wrong... Cheers

    I did that and got the processor details, but it says nothing about bits.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 12, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    >> computer
    >> man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it
    >> has
    >> got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I
    >> have
    >> 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    >> I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >>
    >> Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >>
    >> Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Geo, if you right click My Computer, and select properties, it will give
    > you the processor details on bottom right. For what (as far as I know) you
    > use your machine for, he would have put in a 32 bit processor. As far as I
    > know, if he installed a 64 bit processor, you would also need a 64 bit
    > version of windows, so I doubt that has happened... But then on the very
    > odd occasion, I have been known to be wrong... Cheers

    You can run the 32bit Windows on 64bit hardware.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2008
  12. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The computer
    > man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it has
    > got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I have
    > 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    > I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >
    > Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >
    > Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7

    Geo, it is more likely that any problem is due to a 64 bit OS versus a
    32 bit OS, not the hardware. However I'm not 100% sure on that. It is
    likely that if you had a 32bit CPU before you have one now, since the
    motherboard and its socket determines what CPU you can put in it. Once
    again, I am not certain, but I don't believe you can put a 64bit CPU in
    a 32bit motherboard.

    What YouTube problems are you having?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    >>> computer
    >>> man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it
    >>> has
    >>> got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I
    >>> have
    >>> 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    >>> I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >>>
    >>> Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >> Geo, if you right click My Computer, and select properties, it will
    >> give you the processor details on bottom right. For what (as far as I
    >> know) you use your machine for, he would have put in a 32 bit processor.
    >> As far as I know, if he installed a 64 bit processor, you would also need
    >> a 64 bit version of windows, so I doubt that has happened... But then on
    >> the very odd occasion, I have been known to be wrong... Cheers
    >>

    > I did that and got the processor details, but it says nothing about bits.

    That probably means it is 32bit.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2008
  14. Geopelia

    "I Love It!" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    >> computer man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how
    >> many bits it has got. Someone suggested I could be getting the
    >> youtube problem because I have 64 bits, and I should open the site
    >> with a 32 bit processor. I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but
    >> can't find it there.
    >>
    >> Is there something I should click to change bits?

    > I think it's got 10 broken bits.
    >
    > Geo, you are getting yourself terribly confused.
    >
    > Forget about bits and ask your computer man to have a look at it for you.
    > You are wasting your time with all this and are barking up so many wrong
    > trees it's not funny.

    People are very kind and I am certainly learning a lot about this computer.
    Unfortunately nothing has worked so far. I'll see what the computer man can
    do.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 12, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please? The
    >> computer
    >> man recently installed a new processor, but I can't see how many bits it
    >> has
    >> got. Someone suggested I could be getting the youtube problem because I
    >> have
    >> 64 bits, and I should open the site with a 32 bit processor.
    >> I've tried My Computer and Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >>
    >> Is there something I should click to change bits?
    >>
    >> Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7
    >>

    > Geo, it is more likely that any problem is due to a 64 bit OS versus a 32
    > bit OS, not the hardware. However I'm not 100% sure on that. It is likely
    > that if you had a 32bit CPU before you have one now, since the motherboard
    > and its socket determines what CPU you can put in it. Once again, I am not
    > certain, but I don't believe you can put a 64bit CPU in a 32bit
    > motherboard.
    >
    > What YouTube problems are you having?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --

    It isn't only YouTube, even part of the Consumer website shows the same
    message.
    I have to enable javascript, which is enabled.
    I should install the latest Flash Player, which it says I have done.

    I was surprised to find it will play opera records though, from a Yahoo
    opera group. So why won't it play youtube? It's a mystery.
    La Donna E Mobile, and so is this wretched machine. : )

    I expect the computer man will know. He renewed just about everything inside
    recently.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 12, 2008
  16. Geopelia

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I expect the computer man will know. He renewed just about everything
    >> inside recently.

    > Well I consider myself a 'computer man' and I've searched all the FAQs and
    > Helps and I stilll can't figure it.
    >
    > If your man can fix it, grateful you get him to post his results !
    >
    > geoff

    Yes, I'll ask him what it was. I'll probably get him out next week.

    I couldn't do some of the things people have suggested , as I don't know
    enough to risk messing things up by accidentally doing the wrong thing.
    I've got everything recorded though so he can see what has been suggested.
    When he left last time, he thought I would be able to get Youtube, so he
    must have done the obvious things.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 13, 2008
  17. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    I Love It! wrote:
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well I consider myself a 'computer man' and I've searched all
    >>> the
    >>> FAQs and Helps and I stilll can't figure it.
    >>>
    >>> If your man can fix it, grateful you get him to post his
    >>> results !
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Yes, I'll ask him what it was. I'll probably get him out next
    >> week.
    >>
    >> I couldn't do some of the things people have suggested , as I
    >> don't
    >> know enough to risk messing things up by accidentally doing the
    >> wrong
    >> thing. I've got everything recorded though so he can see what
    >> has
    >> been suggested. When he left last time, he thought I would be
    >> able to
    >> get Youtube, so he must have done the obvious things.

    > You'll probably need to back up all your data files (word
    > documents, email addresses, personal stuff) and then format the
    > disk and re-install XP, your software and your data.
    >
    > However, if your 'computer' man has already done a lot with your
    > computer, perhaps it is he that has done something to cause this
    > problem. Hmm....
    >
    > How old is your computer? Do you have a list of the 'new' things
    > this 'computer' man upgraded your computer with?
    >
    > What is the motherboard... name and model?
    > What is the cpu?
    > What graphics card do you have?
    > How much RAM
    > ... etc.

    Maybe her profile is corrupt? Geo, you could get your computer man to
    create a second user and use that one for a while. If the problem goes
    away it is the profile. If not it is something else.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2008
  18. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "I Love It!" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Where do I find out if I have a 64 or 32 bit processor please?
    >>> The computer man recently installed a new processor, but I can't
    >>> see how many bits it has got. Someone suggested I could be
    >>> getting the youtube problem because I have 64 bits, and I should
    >>> open the site with a 32 bit processor. I've tried My Computer and
    >>> Control Panel, but can't find it there.
    >>>
    >>> Is there something I should click to change bits?

    >> I think it's got 10 broken bits.
    >>
    >> Geo, you are getting yourself terribly confused.
    >>
    >> Forget about bits and ask your computer man to have a look at it
    >> for you. You are wasting your time with all this and are barking up
    >> so many wrong trees it's not funny.
    >>

    > People are very kind and I am certainly learning a lot about this
    > computer. Unfortunately nothing has worked so far. I'll see what the
    > computer man can do.

    Does it remember the settings so long as you don't reboot? It sounds to
    me like it has a problem with your profile. Maybe permissions on it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2008
  19. Geopelia

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-12, Tony in Oz <> wrote:
    > Geo, if you right click My Computer, and select properties, it will give
    > you the processor details on bottom right. For what (as far as I know) you
    > use your machine for, he would have put in a 32 bit processor. As far as I
    > know, if he installed a 64 bit processor, you would also need a 64 bit
    > version of windows, so I doubt that has happened... But then on the very
    > odd occasion, I have been known to be wrong... Cheers

    most new processors are 64 bit, but they still boot up (initially) in
    16 bit mode, the operating system takes it form there and switches them
    into 64 or 32 bit mode depending on what it wants.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Aug 13, 2008
  20. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    I Love It! wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> I Love It! wrote:

    >>> You'll probably need to back up all your data files (word
    >>> documents, email addresses, personal stuff) and then format
    >>> the
    >>> disk and re-install XP, your software and your data.
    >>>
    >>> However, if your 'computer' man has already done a lot with
    >>> your
    >>> computer, perhaps it is he that has done something to cause
    >>> this
    >>> problem. Hmm....
    >>>
    >>> How old is your computer? Do you have a list of the 'new'
    >>> things
    >>> this 'computer' man upgraded your computer with?
    >>>
    >>> What is the motherboard... name and model?
    >>> What is the cpu?
    >>> What graphics card do you have?
    >>> How much RAM
    >>> ... etc.
    >>>

    >> Maybe her profile is corrupt? Geo, you could get your computer
    >> man to
    >> create a second user and use that one for a while. If the
    >> problem goes
    >> away it is the profile. If not it is something else.

    > If her upgrades are recent that is most unlikely.

    It doesn't take long for a profile to get corrupted. I've fixed enough
    of them in the past, though admittedly it's usually caused by people
    fiddling with it when they shouldn't. The classic symptom is much like
    Geo describes - the system doesn't remember what's installed, and it
    doesn't remember plugins. This is because when the system starts up it
    tries to read the profile and fails, and creates a temporary profile.
    The temporary profile is discarded when the system is shut down. So
    nothing is remembered between boots.

    > A clean install will fix it. But even that may not be necessary.

    Sure but maybe over the top. I think she just had it rebuilt.

    > Can she play dvd's in her computer? Can you Geo?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2008