    I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    Thank you.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 12, 2007

  2. In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
    sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Geopelia

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:39:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    > Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
    > sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works. :)

    Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows". And the same goes for many
    linux apps/libraries. Upgrade are supposed to fix things, but often they
    end up breaking something else.

    Back to Geopelia.. I hit the upgrade button the other day for flash
    player, haven't notcied any negative effects :)

    El Chippy, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Re: Dimdows (was Re: Adobe Flash Player)

    In message <45a80815$>, El Chippy wrote:

    > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

    Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
    computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows" on
    our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
    resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
    separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in this
    noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and beyond,
    seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.

    Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be mistaken
    for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this noisegroup, and
    no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the advantage of not being
    trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as far as I'm aware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >>I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    To Geopelia - go ahead and click upgrade if it comes up again.
    Flash 9 isn't commonly used on websites yet, but that might
    change in time. In Windows and Linux here Flash 9 is used on
    all browsers I use, and it works fine in all.

    > Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
    > sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works. :)

    To Lawrence - give up man, your whole childish 'Dimdows' thing
    is getting old. As a Linux advocate you blow goats.

    Flash 9 in Windows and Linux work very well here. I can watch
    live net TV from MTV or other sites without a hitch, whereas
    previous Flash players had trouble, especially the Linux ones
    up to version 7. The only problem with the Linux one is that
    its a complete PITA to install, unlike the Windows one which
    installed here with just a few clicks to agree to the licence.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > To Lawrence - give up man, your whole childish 'Dimdows' thing
    > is getting old. As a Linux advocate you blow goats.

    Hear hear.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 12, 2007
  7. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <45a80815$>, El Chippy wrote:
    >
    > > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

    > Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
    > computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows"
    > on our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
    > resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
    > separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in
    > this noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and
    > beyond, seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.
    >
    > Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be
    > mistaken for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this
    > noisegroup, and no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the
    > advantage of not being trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as
    > far as I'm aware.

    That oh-so rational cop-out doesn't make it any more acceptable than Roger's
    "Lunix".

    <shrug> I guess it all depends on how you wish to be perceived.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2007
  8. Re: Dimdows (was Re: Adobe Flash Player)

    In message <45a81e2d$>, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <45a80815$>, El Chippy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

    >> Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
    >> computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows"
    >> on our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
    >> resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
    >> separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in
    >> this noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and
    >> beyond, seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.
    >>
    >> Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be
    >> mistaken for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this
    >> noisegroup, and no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the
    >> advantage of not being trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as
    >> far as I'm aware.

    > That oh-so rational cop-out doesn't make it any more acceptable than
    > Roger's "Lunix".

    The trouble with "Lunix" is that it already has an official meaning or two.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2007
  9. Geopelia

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    > To Geopelia - go ahead and click upgrade if it comes up again.
    > Flash 9 isn't commonly used on websites yet, but that might
    > change in time. In Windows and Linux here Flash 9 is used on
    > all browsers I use, and it works fine in all.

    To digress, any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

    TIA

    -=rjh=-, Jan 13, 2007
  10. In message <45a825ff$>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > ... any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

    I installed nspluginwrapper on my 64-bit Gentoo system, which did succeed in
    enabling Flash, but Firefox would get highly unstable after running
    continuously for a couple of days, so I gave up and took it out again.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2007
  11. Geopelia

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:50:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <45a80815$>, El Chippy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

    >> Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
    >> computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows"
    >> on our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
    >> resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
    >> separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in
    >> this noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and
    >> beyond, seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.
    >>
    >> Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be
    >> mistaken for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this
    >> noisegroup, and no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the
    >> advantage of not being trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as
    >> far as I'm aware.

    > That oh-so rational cop-out doesn't make it any more acceptable than Roger's
    > "Lunix".
    >
    > <shrug> I guess it all depends on how you wish to be perceived.

    As a weasel or a troll :)

    Earl Grey, Jan 13, 2007
  12. Geopelia

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <45a825ff$>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> ... any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

    > I installed nspluginwrapper on my 64-bit Gentoo system, which did succeed in
    > enabling Flash, but Firefox would get highly unstable after running
    > continuously for a couple of days, so I gave up and took it out again.

    I've tried both nspluginwraper and gnash for Firefox and Konqueror, and
    had mixed results. Flickr would work fine, youtube would not work at all.

    Flash essential these days, it is an indespensible part of the web. This
    goes back to the argument about software being supplied as binaries -
    what happens when your platform is not supported (32bit Linux barely is,
    64bit isn't).

    Adobe should be grabbing this opportunity and getting Flash onto as many
    platforms as possible, as a way to encourage people to diversify from
    Windows.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 13, 2007
  13. Geopelia

    Chris Hope Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <45a825ff$>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

    >> I installed nspluginwrapper on my 64-bit Gentoo system, which did
    >> succeed in enabling Flash, but Firefox would get highly unstable
    >> after running continuously for a couple of days, so I gave up and
    >> took it out again.

    > I've tried both nspluginwraper and gnash for Firefox and Konqueror,
    > and had mixed results. Flickr would work fine, youtube would not work
    > at all.
    >
    > Flash essential these days, it is an indespensible part of the web.
    > This goes back to the argument about software being supplied as
    > binaries - what happens when your platform is not supported (32bit
    > Linux barely is, 64bit isn't).
    >
    > Adobe should be grabbing this opportunity and getting Flash onto as
    > many platforms as possible, as a way to encourage people to diversify
    > from Windows.

    I couldn't get it to work at all on a Kubuntu 64 bit installation
    successfully (gnash just crashed all the time), and ended up resorting
    to installing a 32 bit version of Firefox to be able to get it to work.
    However, I installed SUSE on my new 64 bit machine and it plays flash
    in both Firefox and Konqueror "out of the box".

    Chris Hope, Jan 13, 2007
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    message news:45a818a1$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    > To Geopelia - go ahead and click upgrade if it comes up again.
    > Flash 9 isn't commonly used on websites yet, but that might
    > change in time. In Windows and Linux here Flash 9 is used on
    > all browsers I use, and it works fine in all.
    >
    >> Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
    >> sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works. :)

    > To Lawrence - give up man, your whole childish 'Dimdows' thing
    > is getting old. As a Linux advocate you blow goats.
    >
    > Flash 9 in Windows and Linux work very well here. I can watch
    > live net TV from MTV or other sites without a hitch, whereas
    > previous Flash players had trouble, especially the Linux ones
    > up to version 7. The only problem with the Linux one is that
    > its a complete PITA to install, unlike the Windows one which
    > installed here with just a few clicks to agree to the licence.
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    > Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    > spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Thank you. If it comes up again I'll click it.

    Geopelia.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    Geopelia, Jan 13, 2007
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:39:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    >> Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
    >> sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works. :)

    > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows". And the same goes for many
    > linux apps/libraries. Upgrade are supposed to fix things, but often they
    > end up breaking something else.
    >
    > Back to Geopelia.. I hit the upgrade button the other day for flash
    > player, haven't notcied any negative effects :)

    Thank you. I'll upgrade if it comes up again.

    Geopelia.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    Geopelia, Jan 13, 2007
  16. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <eo8tl9$q8f$>, says...
    > A notice came up on the screen about an update for Adobe Flash Player. The
    > new version is 9.0.28.0
    >
    > I seem to have 8,0,22,0. I see on the desktop I have adobe reader 7.0
    >
    > The notice has disappeared. If it comes up again, should I click to install
    > it please?
    >
    > (One of these computer things I didn't even know I had. I expect it just
    > works away in the background.
    > I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    It works just fine, in my experience on several desktops over the last
    week. No download or intall problems at all.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 13, 2007
  17. In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <45a825ff$>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

    >> I installed nspluginwrapper on my 64-bit Gentoo system, which did succeed
    >> in enabling Flash, but Firefox would get highly unstable after running
    >> continuously for a couple of days, so I gave up and took it out again.

    > I've tried both nspluginwraper and gnash for Firefox and Konqueror, and
    > had mixed results. Flickr would work fine, youtube would not work at all.
    >
    > Flash essential these days, it is an indespensible part of the web.

    Well, there are issues, like with access by disabled users. But you are
    mostly right.

    > This goes back to the argument about software being supplied as binaries -
    > what happens when your platform is not supported (32bit Linux barely is,
    > 64bit isn't).
    >
    > Adobe should be grabbing this opportunity and getting Flash onto as many
    > platforms as possible...

    I'm sure they're trying as best they can. But it's expensive to develop and
    support closed-source software. I don't think there's even a 64-bit Flash
    player for Dimdows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2007
  18. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Flash essential these days,

    No it isn't. It just means that you get a few "pluin req'd" boxes.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 13, 2007
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <eo8tl9$q8f$>, says...
    >> A notice came up on the screen about an update for Adobe Flash Player.
    >> The
    >> new version is 9.0.28.0
    >>
    >> I seem to have 8,0,22,0. I see on the desktop I have adobe reader 7.0
    >>
    >> The notice has disappeared. If it comes up again, should I click to
    >> install
    >> it please?
    >>
    >> (One of these computer things I didn't even know I had. I expect it just
    >> works away in the background.
    >> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

    > It works just fine, in my experience on several desktops over the last
    > week. No download or intall problems at all.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you. I'll look out for it appearing again and click it.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 13, 2007