Adobe Flash Player - is it installed?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully. Why
    do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or greater?
    I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    consumer.org Commodity prices.

    I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8 is
    there.
    Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    either.

    Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install several times
    and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is successfully installed.
    My firewall is set to Office network. Should I change it to Home network?
    Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only computer I
    have.

    Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7

    I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows. Most of
    it is too technical for me to try.

    I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer man to
    call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do please?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <g6kcfb$ph9$>,
    says...
    > I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully. Why
    > do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or greater?
    > I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    > consumer.org Commodity prices.
    >
    > I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8 is
    > there.
    > Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    > either.
    >
    > Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install several times
    > and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is successfully installed.
    > My firewall is set to Office network. Should I change it to Home network?
    > Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only computer I
    > have.
    >
    > Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    > Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7
    >
    > I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows. Most of
    > it is too technical for me to try.
    >
    > I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer man to
    > call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do please?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Hmmm - I thought it installed what you need for the web. Maybe you
    could install the Adobe Shockwave player seperately?

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 28, 2008

  3. On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:01:43 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    [msge snipped]
    >I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully. Why
    >do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or greater?
    >I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    >consumer.org Commodity prices.
    >
    >I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8 is
    >there.
    >Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    >either.

    I opened up a new folder which I named 'Computer Related' then a sub-folder named 'My Download
    Files'.
    Before downloading a new program, I open up a folder specificially for that folder.
    If updating, it makes it easier to just file it in the existing program's folder.
    Found it easier to find where everything is!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 28, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully.
    >> Why do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or
    >> greater?
    >> I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    >> consumer.org Commodity prices.
    >>
    >> I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8
    >> is there.
    >> Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install several
    >> times and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is successfully
    >> installed.
    >> My firewall is set to Office network. Should I change it to Home network?
    >> Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only computer I
    >> have.
    >>
    >> Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    >> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7
    >>
    >> I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows. Most
    >> of it is too technical for me to try.
    >>
    >> I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer man
    >> to call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do please?

    > Are Java and Javascript enabled in your browser?

    I found Java under Tools.
    Using 3RE version 1.6.0_02 Java HotSpot (TM) Client VM

    So I suppose I've got Java.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g6kcfb$ph9$>,
    > says...
    >> I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully.
    >> Why
    >> do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or
    >> greater?
    >> I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    >> consumer.org Commodity prices.

    > I'd start again.
    >
    > First get rid of any Flash installs already on your machine.
    > http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157
    >
    > Download the latest version:
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1
    > _Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/zgkz2
    >
    > Following the installation instructions:
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/
    >
    > Note that if you're using IE, the recomended installation method is to
    > install it "live" rather than downloading the install executible and
    > then running it. But to do this you've got to allow an ActiveX control
    > to run.
    >
    > For other browsers you download the file then run it.

    Thank you, but that is too complicated for me. I would have to get the
    computer man.
    I got something about Active X show up, so I think I have that.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g6kcfb$ph9$>,
    > says...
    >> I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully.
    >> Why
    >> do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or
    >> greater?
    >> I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    >> consumer.org Commodity prices.
    >>
    >> I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8
    >> is
    >> there.
    >> Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install several
    >> times
    >> and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is successfully installed.
    >> My firewall is set to Office network. Should I change it to Home network?
    >> Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only computer I
    >> have.
    >>
    >> Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    >> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7
    >>
    >> I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows. Most
    >> of
    >> it is too technical for me to try.
    >>
    >> I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer man
    >> call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do please?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > Hmmm - I thought it installed what you need for the web. Maybe you
    > could install the Adobe Shockwave player seperately?
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you. I've just done that. It says shockwave is installed. I'll see
    what happens after breakfast.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008
  7. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> Are Java and Javascript enabled in your browser?

    >> I found Java under Tools.
    >> Using 3RE version 1.6.0_02 Java HotSpot (TM) Client VM
    >>
    >> So I suppose I've got Java.

    > You need to check that it's enabled as well as installed ... sorry I can't
    > tell you how, probably in an options or preferences menu.

    I clicked it the other day. I'll check again.

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    This is ridiculous! I got the message "Welcome to youtube etc" but the
    Upload link doesn't work when I click it, and now they say my information is
    incorrect.
    What a useless lot. I don't think I'll bother.

    I'll check whether consumer.org works now, if so I'll know adobe is working
    properly.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I thought Adobe might work at last, but I checked consumer.org price checker
    and still get the same message that I need Adobe 8 or more.
    So it can't be working yet.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "I LOVE IT!" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed
    >> successfully. Why do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe
    >> Flash Player 8 or greater? I get that message when I try to view
    >> youtube, and also when I try to get consumer.org Commodity prices.
    >>
    >> I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader
    >> 8 is there.
    >> Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install
    >> several times and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is
    >> successfully installed. My firewall is set to Office network. Should I
    >> change it to Home
    >> network? Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only
    >> computer I have.
    >>
    >> Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    >> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7
    >>
    >> I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows.
    >> Most of it is too technical for me to try.
    >>
    >> I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer
    >> man to call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do
    >> please?

    > You could try this...
    > http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-955-i-still-can-t-install-adobe-flash-player-wh

    The link on that website, http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe contains
    a virus PAK_Generic.001 which TrendMicro couldn't quarantine. When I tried
    to add it to the quarantine file My Documents came up. I couldn't find it
    there or in Control Panel or c:\Documents and Settings.
    If it hasn't installed, where would it be? Do I need to quarantine it
    please?

    I give up on Adobe!

    Thank you
    geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "I LOVE IT!" <> wrote in message

    >>> You could try this...
    >>> http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-955-i-still-can-t-install-adobe-flash-player-wh
    >>>

    >> The link on that website, http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe
    >> contains a virus PAK_Generic.001 which TrendMicro couldn't quarantine.
    >> When I tried to add it to the quarantine file My Documents came up. I
    >> couldn't find it there or in Control Panel or c:\Documents and Settings.
    >> If it hasn't installed, where would it be? Do I need to quarantine it
    >> please?
    >>
    >> I give up on Adobe!

    > Trend is saying that's a virus because it's a virus Geo, and if you are
    > not very careful you will be having to reinstall windows again.

    I've had a look at the Virus Encyclopaedia, it seems PAK_Generic.001 is
    something that catches various viruses. There are 4 pages of Malware and
    stuff, but I don't know which, if any, I have got.
    I've done a complete scan and everything is up to date. Security activity
    shows one threat stopped, but not which threat it is.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  12. Geopelia

    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> I thought Adobe might work at last, but I checked consumer.org price
    >>> checker and still get the same message that I need Adobe 8 or more.
    >>> So it can't be working yet.

    >> http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm

    > A better version of the same link:
    >
    > http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm#MSIE7
    >
    > Further to that, You would be better to select the "prompt" option rather
    > than "allow".
    >
    > This will cause a lot of boxes to pop up as you browse asking if you want
    > scripts to run. Always say no unless you really really want to run the
    > scripts and you trust the site with your wallet.
    >
    > Scripts of various kinds and adobe stuff are favourite methods used by
    > virus writers.

    I've got Adobe 9 and Java, so I don't think I'll bother trying any more.
    Thank you everyone, but perhaps this computer just can't handle YouTube.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm

    >> A better version of the same link:
    >>
    >> http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm#MSIE7
    >>
    >> Further to that, You would be better to select the "prompt" option rather
    >> than "allow".
    >>
    >> This will cause a lot of boxes to pop up as you browse asking if you want
    >> scripts to run. Always say no unless you really really want to run the
    >> scripts and you trust the site with your wallet.
    >>
    >> Scripts of various kinds and adobe stuff are favourite methods used by
    >> virus writers.

    > I've got Adobe 9 and Java, so I don't think I'll bother trying any more.
    > Thank you everyone, but perhaps this computer just can't handle YouTube.
    >
    > Geopelia

    I've found Adobe Updater in My Documents now. It contains 0 bytes. So there
    can't be anything in it, or can there? Perhaps Trendmicro deleted it, as it
    couldn't be quarantined.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  14. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> I've got Adobe 9 and Java, so I don't think I'll bother trying any more.
    >>> Thank you everyone, but perhaps this computer just can't handle YouTube.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> I've found Adobe Updater in My Documents now. It contains 0 bytes. So
    >> there can't be anything in it, or can there? Perhaps Trendmicro deleted
    >> it, as it couldn't be quarantined.

    > It's a virus ... run a million miles from it.
    >
    > Please read the page I pointed you at.

    You mean the ones about Java?

    If I delete Adobe Updater will that get rid of the virus, even though there
    are 0 bytes in it? If there is a virus in it wouldn't it show a few bytes?

    I've done two scans and nothing has been found anywhere. The scans take
    about twenty minutes to do.
    The summary report shows one virus stopped. It shows 2 files quarantined,
    but only details of one.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> I've got Adobe 9 and Java, so I don't think I'll bother trying any more.
    >>> Thank you everyone, but perhaps this computer just can't handle YouTube.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> I've found Adobe Updater in My Documents now. It contains 0 bytes. So
    >> there can't be anything in it, or can there? Perhaps Trendmicro deleted
    >> it, as it couldn't be quarantined.

    > It's a virus ... run a million miles from it.
    >
    > Please read the page I pointed you at.

    I sent Updater 5 to the recycle bin and deleted it from there.

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  16. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <g6liq8$2m4$>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <g6kcfb$ph9$>,
    > > says...
    > >> I get the message Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed successfully.
    > >> Why
    > >> do I keep getting the message that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or
    > >> greater?
    > >> I get that message when I try to view youtube, and also when I try to get
    > >> consumer.org Commodity prices.
    > >>
    > >> I can't see Adobe Flash Player on the Control Panel, but Adobe reader 8
    > >> is
    > >> there.
    > >> Adobe Flash Player isn't on the All programs list from the start menu
    > >> either.
    > >>
    > >> Is there something else I ought to do? I've clicked to install several
    > >> times
    > >> and each time get the message that 9.0.124.0 is successfully installed.
    > >> My firewall is set to Office network. Should I change it to Home network?
    > >> Would Direct Internet Connection be better? This is the only computer I
    > >> have.
    > >>
    > >> Trend Micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    > >> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Internet Explorer 7
    > >>
    > >> I've found Troubleshoot Adobe Flashplayer Installation for Windows. Most
    > >> of
    > >> it is too technical for me to try.
    > >>
    > >> I don't want to mess things up. Would it be best to ask the computer man
    > >> call and sort it out? Or is there something simple I should do please?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >> Geopelia

    > > Hmmm - I thought it installed what you need for the web. Maybe you
    > > could install the Adobe Shockwave player seperately?
    > >
    > > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > Thank you. I've just done that. It says shockwave is installed. I'll see
    > what happens after breakfast.

    Haven't heard back from yer. Maybe it's working. I'll assume not
    though. The other thing you'll need to therefore check, now that you
    have confirmed (it seems) that it's installed, is to check it is
    actually enabled (which it should be by default) in Internet Explorer.
    (Perhaps something disabled it in IE? - I dunno). Perhaps your computer
    man disabled it even.

    Anyways, it's worth looking to see...

    a) From IE, go Tools, Internet Options
    OR, go Start, Control Panel, Internet Options.

    b) On the tabs along the top of the Internet Options dialog, click the
    Program tab.

    c) Then click the Manage Addons button.

    d) Scroll down and find the "Shockwave Flash Object" - if it is
    disabled, enable it (use the radio buttons near the bottom of the
    dialog).

    e) Exit IE if it is running, and re-run it, and try yer youtube now.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 29, 2008
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g6liq8$2m4$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <g6kcfb$ph9$>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Hmmm - I thought it installed what you need for the web. Maybe you
    >> > could install the Adobe Shockwave player seperately?
    >> >
    >> > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> Thank you. I've just done that. It says shockwave is installed. I'll see
    >> what happens after breakfast.

    > Haven't heard back from yer. Maybe it's working. I'll assume not
    > though. The other thing you'll need to therefore check, now that you
    > have confirmed (it seems) that it's installed, is to check it is
    > actually enabled (which it should be by default) in Internet Explorer.
    > (Perhaps something disabled it in IE? - I dunno). Perhaps your computer
    > man disabled it even.
    >
    > Anyways, it's worth looking to see...
    >
    > a) From IE, go Tools, Internet Options
    > OR, go Start, Control Panel, Internet Options.
    >
    > b) On the tabs along the top of the Internet Options dialog, click the
    > Program tab.
    >
    > c) Then click the Manage Addons button.
    >
    > d) Scroll down and find the "Shockwave Flash Object" - if it is
    > disabled, enable it (use the radio buttons near the bottom of the
    > dialog).
    >
    > e) Exit IE if it is running, and re-run it, and try yer youtube now.
    >

    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you. Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.
    I've set up another youtube account, as they didn't recognise my last one.
    It's been confirmed, so I'll look for a youtube.

    Got to get breakfast now, so I'll hunt for a youtube link to click late.
    I'll let you know .

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  18. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> It's a virus ... run a million miles from it.
    >>>
    >>> Please read the page I pointed you at.

    >> You mean the ones about Java?

    > Yes. The !@# java stuff ... the adobe gunge will not run without
    > java(script).

    Yes, I've got java now.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 29, 2008
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "I LOVE IT!" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you. Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.
    >> I've set up another youtube account, as they didn't recognise my last
    >> one. It's been confirmed, so I'll look for a youtube.
    >>
    >> Got to get breakfast now, so I'll hunt for a youtube link to click
    >> late. I'll let you know .

    > You do not have to sign up for a YouTube account to watch YouTube videos.
    > You have an account if you are going to upload your own videos to YouTube.
    >
    > Although you can just use your account to keep your favourite YT videos
    > and point people to it.
    >
    > Why did you sign up?

    Because I got the sign up page.

    Geopelia, Jul 30, 2008
  20. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I thought Adobe might work at last, but I checked consumer.org price
    >> checker and still get the same message that I need Adobe 8 or more.
    >> So it can't be working yet.

    > http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm

    I just retried that. Javascript is enabled.

    Geopelia, Jul 30, 2008