Adobe Flash + ATI HDMI freezez the computer

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Windowsux, Jul 1, 2009.

  1. Windowsux

    Windowsux Guest

    I have a strange problem, it is hard to find out what exactly to do to
    make it freeze but its random when I run flash videos in fire fox and
    explorer, especially once I have a few open (I like to keep a good flash
    video up for a while sometimes so I don't download it again,) or if i
    try to fast forward or reverse a video. I never had any problems before
    I got my new monitor (40" LCD 1080p RCA) but I didn't use my hdmi out on
    the computer before. It's a sapphire radeon HD 4670 GDDR4 512mb. I
    have a phenom II 720 BE with 4gb of patriot viper ram 5-5-5-15 on an
    asus m7a38 motherboard but I think it has to do with the graphics
    card/hdmi output in conjunction with adobe flash. I'm using windows x64
    pro and ati display driver 8.62-090520ma-081745c-ati, which is a 9.6
    driver. Anyone else have this problem? Simply updating the drivers to
    see IF it fixes it may cause more problems than good since games run
    great, and it appears to freeze the windows functions (task manager,
    start menu) before the computer freezes and the video will play for a
    while but I can't do anything in windows.

    Also is there a way to change the underscan of the hdmi output in the
    graphics card bios? The only way I fix it now is CCC scaling option set
    to 0% but now I am forced to use CCC and I don't really need it except
    for that. I tried some registry changes but it didn't work, and before
    windows boots it's all in the underscan mode.

    --Windowsux-- but for now Linux is a bit hard to use and can't run
    everything I want!

    -as a side note, my tv has a vga input but can't display 1920x1080,
    only 1440x900! What tards at RCA decided that, its not the cable
    restricting it because I have a 24" that does perfect 1920x1200 over a
    vga cable, as well as an 23" that takes 1920x1080 on the vga cable.
    They look exactly the same as the hdmi at those resolutions, and even
    better at lower resolutions because (the monitors?) do some sort of
    anti-alaising or something.

    --
    Windowsux
    Windowsux's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/79649.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in
    Windowsux, Jul 1, 2009

  2. Windowsux

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Let's try to narrow down your problem.
    You say that your freezing issue shows up only when you use your 40" LCD via
    HDMI, right?
    What freezing type are you suffering, freeze as in "I have to press the
    reset button" or momentary freezes, making the videos jump?
    The 4670, though it is a fine card, drops down the frame rates when working
    at high resolutions.
    1920 x 1080p is a lot of work for that card and might have a jerky
    performance with videos.
    With respect to the VGA input of your TV, is 1440 x 900 a limit that you
    read in the user manual or something that Xp x64 shows you as the max
    available resolution?
    If it is a spec in the user manual there is nothing we can do to help you.
    If it is XP then you might try to change the monitor driver in order to
    increase the resolution.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 1, 2009

  3. Windowsux

    tsperling Guest

    Beyond what Carlos says - to which I agree, I think your trouble [may] be
    that you are not fully understanding the difference between a TV set and a
    Monitor. There is a huge difference in quality between them, and the
    resolution you get from your 40" is about the best you can have from such a
    device.

    Most likely your card is overworked by having to keep up with your
    expectations, to deliver a picture quality that you get from you much
    smaller monitors. And for that the card isn't getting enough good current,
    so you have randomness and lock-ups.

    In order to be a happy man with your investment, I think you should
    investigate the need for one of the highest quality PSU's for your machine
    and perhaps a new card. Could be you find more weak points as you go, but I
    would dare a wild guess that this would make all the difference for you.

    The rest of your post is fiddling with details that probably wouldn't make
    any visible difference at all, or help you in any way.

    Tony. . .
    tsperling, Jul 1, 2009