    JedMeister Guest

    Each time I open adobe, it installs a link on my desktop . This is starting
    to piss me off, anyway of stopping this?

    JedMeister, Dec 14, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:39:36 +1300, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >Each time I open adobe, it installs a link on my desktop . This is starting
    >to piss me off, anyway of stopping this?

    Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    Why is it neccessary?

    Mr Bond, Dec 14, 2004

  3. JedMeister

    Mr Bond, Dec 14, 2004
  4. JedMeister

    Mackin Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:39:36 +1300, "JedMeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Each time I open adobe, it installs a link on my desktop . This is
    >>starting to piss me off, anyway of stopping this?
    >>

    > Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    > Why is it neccessary?

    Try Adobe Reader SpeedUp for improving some of Acrobat's irritations:

    http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

    Mackin

    Mackin, Dec 15, 2004
  5. JedMeister

    Mackin Guest

    Mackin, Dec 15, 2004
  6. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:51:54 +1300, Mr Bond wrote:

    > Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    > Why is it neccessary?

    Sounds as if Adobe is starting to act like MS. You NEED this, thus YOU
    HAVE IT.

    Why is it necessary, so that Adobe can attack your wallet.

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2004
  7. JedMeister

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2004
  8. JedMeister

    impossible Guest

    "Mr Bond" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:39:36 +1300, "JedMeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Each time I open adobe, it installs a link on my desktop . This is
    >>starting
    >>to piss me off, anyway of stopping this?

    Never seen the icon problem. But here's suggestions to deal with another
    annoyance:

    Edit | Preferences | Startup | Uncheck "Show messages and automatically
    update". This puts an end to the toolbar ads.

    > Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    > Why is it neccessary?

    "My eBooks" -- you're stick with. About as necessary as "My Albums" and "My
    Pictures" and "My Music" and all the other "My...." folders -- it's just a
    Windows convention that many apps take advantage of. Myself, I just bury the
    whole "My Documents" folder out of sight, let the empty folders there
    accumulate, and create a working documents/data folder elsewhere.

    impossible, Dec 15, 2004
  9. JedMeister

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    >>>Why is it neccessary?

    >>"My eBooks" -- you're stick with. About as necessary as "My Albums" and "My
    >>Pictures" and "My Music" and all the other "My...." folders -- it's just a
    >>Windows convention that many apps take advantage of. Myself, I just bury the
    >>whole "My Documents" folder out of sight, let the empty folders there
    >>accumulate, and create a working documents/data folder elsewhere.

    > Agreed. So why do they insist on it instead of letting us pick where we want
    > to put stuff. ?

    because jo public dont have any data management skills, and none of us
    could really be considered to be "jo public"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004
  12. In article <>, "impossible" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> Not to mention the annoying 'ebooks' folder it puts in 'my documents'.
    >> Why is it neccessary?

    >"My eBooks" -- you're stick with. About as necessary as "My Albums" and "My
    >Pictures" and "My Music" and all the other "My...." folders -- it's just a
    >Windows convention that many apps take advantage of. Myself, I just bury the
    >whole "My Documents" folder out of sight, let the empty folders there
    >accumulate, and create a working documents/data folder elsewhere.

    Agreed. So why do they insist on it instead of letting us pick where we want
    to put stuff. ?

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2004
    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>Agreed. So why do they insist on it instead of letting us pick where we want
    >>>to put stuff. ?

    >>because jo public dont have any data management skills, and none of us
    >>could really be considered to be "jo public"

    > So selling to the lowest common thingy you reckon ?
    > You really think that jo leaves stuff where the system puts it ? .. yeah ...
    > you're probably right :)

    I see it in ~2500 users here at work, if we dont manually set each app
    to use My documents on their network drive, and force Outlook to not let
    you save thing in "temp net files" folder, then users would lose damn
    near everything they opened from email.

    Chances are, if you dont want to use my docs etc, then you already have
    your own data management system of your own, whether documented, known
    or whatever, you probably have one.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2004

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2004
  18. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>So selling to the lowest common thingy you reckon ?
    >>>You really think that jo leaves stuff where the system puts it ? .. yeah ...
    >>>you're probably right :)

    >>I see it in ~2500 users here at work, if we dont manually set each app
    >>to use My documents on their network drive, and force Outlook to not let
    >>you save thing in "temp net files" folder, then users would lose damn
    >>near everything they opened from email.

    > You say that like it's a bad thing :)

    it is if it is patient info... and yes email is not the best because it
    is in-secure, but they only do it internally.

    >>Chances are, if you dont want to use my docs etc, then you already have
    >>your own data management system of your own, whether documented, known
    >>or whatever, you probably have one.

    > Yeah. I just wonder why the one they provide by default is so awful I guess
    > :)

    whats so awful about it... it's split into mydocs for each user, and if
    setup correctly, each user can only see their own my docs folder.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004
  20. Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>>Yeah. I just wonder why the one they provide by default is so awful I guess
    >>>:)

    >>whats so awful about it... it's split into mydocs for each user, and if
    >>setup correctly, each user can only see their own my docs folder.

    > I guess I'm against hiding how the system works under a layer of labels. I
    > suppose it is useful for some.

    it works for the same people that just check the oil and think that
    "petrol makes the car work"... their users, they dont care how it works,
    they just want it to work.

    if they care how it works, they're probably an enthusiest.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004