    Any validity to this (before I upgrate to version 9)?

    Thanks,

    Dave C.
    Dave C., Sep 2, 2009

  2. I've not heard of Version 9 causing a crash. I also know that files created
    with Version 9 (the Full Version of Adobe Distiller) can be opened with
    Acrobat 8, but some features might not be available in that case.

    If you have misgivings about Version 9, don't get it.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 3, 2009

  3. Dave C.

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >I am using Adobe reader version 8. I have a few files that (I was
    > told) requires version 9. I came across something that speaks of
    > version 9 crashing or shuts down when trying to open a file.
    >
    > Any validity to this (before I upgrate to version 9)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave C.

    I'm having lots of grey pages with reader 7 so going to 9 now.
    I'll let you know.
    - Bobb -, Sep 4, 2009
  4. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >>I am using Adobe reader version 8. I have a few files that (I was
    >> told) requires version 9. I came across something that speaks of
    >> version 9 crashing or shuts down when trying to open a file.
    >>
    >> Any validity to this (before I upgrate to version 9)?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave C.

    > I'm having lots of grey pages with reader 7 so going to 9 now.
    > I'll let you know.

    I still use Adobe 6. I have the full version, with Distiller, so I can
    generate PDFs. I don't want to get the new Reader because it _might_ have
    conflicts with the Distiller and the full version of Acrobat. I don't get
    gray pages, but I do get a warning that some pages might not display
    properly, but they always seem to display fine.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 4, 2009
  5. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Sep 3, 7:02 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > >I am using Adobe reader version 8.  I have a few files that (I was
    > > told) requires version 9.  I came across something that speaks of
    > > version 9 crashing or shuts down when trying to open a file.

    > > Any validity to this (before I upgrate to version 9)?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Dave C.

    > I'm having lots of grey pages with reader 7 so going to 9 now.
    > I'll let you know.

    Thanks Jeff. And Bobb I'll keep checking to see how it works out for
    you. By the way, I updated from 8.0 to 8.1.3 (which happened when I
    selected Update from the menu). It didn't seem to be too much
    different but there were a lot of file changes.

    Dave C.
    Dave C., Sep 4, 2009
  6. Dave C.

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    <snipped>

    > I still use Adobe 6. I have the full version, with Distiller, so I can
    > generate PDFs. I don't want to get the new Reader because it _might_ have
    > conflicts with the Distiller and the full version of Acrobat. I don't get
    > gray pages, but I do get a warning that some pages might not display
    > properly, but they always seem to display fine.

    BTW I have Acrobat 5 and Reader 9 - Acrobat 5 still works fine. No conflicts
    ( even when I ran reader 6,7 no issues). I use Acrobat to generate pdf's
    too. I rarely print anything - just "print to" pdf and save it .
    - Bobb -, Sep 4, 2009
  7. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > <snipped>
    >
    >> I still use Adobe 6. I have the full version, with Distiller, so I can
    >> generate PDFs. I don't want to get the new Reader because it _might_ have
    >> conflicts with the Distiller and the full version of Acrobat. I don't get
    >> gray pages, but I do get a warning that some pages might not display
    >> properly, but they always seem to display fine.
    >>

    > BTW I have Acrobat 5 and Reader 9 - Acrobat 5 still works fine. No
    > conflicts ( even when I ran reader 6,7 no issues). I use Acrobat to
    > generate pdf's too. I rarely print anything - just "print to" pdf and save
    > it .

    Really! I've avoided Acrobat Reader -- all versions -- for years because I
    have Acrobat (full version) 6.0. I can use Acrobat 6 and Reader <any
    version> ? I did not know that. I thought there would be conflicts that
    would prove to be highly problematic, if not fatal.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 4, 2009
  8. Dave C.

    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >>> I still use Adobe 6. I have the full version, with Distiller, so I can
    >>> generate PDFs. I don't want to get the new Reader because it _might_
    >>> have conflicts with the Distiller and the full version of Acrobat. I
    >>> don't get gray pages, but I do get a warning that some pages might not
    >>> display properly, but they always seem to display fine.
    >>>

    >> BTW I have Acrobat 5 and Reader 9 - Acrobat 5 still works fine. No
    >> conflicts ( even when I ran reader 6,7 no issues). I use Acrobat to
    >> generate pdf's too. I rarely print anything - just "print to" pdf and
    >> save it .
    >>

    > Really! I've avoided Acrobat Reader -- all versions -- for years because I
    > have Acrobat (full version) 6.0. I can use Acrobat 6 and Reader <any
    > version> ? I did not know that. I thought there would be conflicts that
    > would prove to be highly problematic, if not fatal.

    No guarantees but it's been fine on my PC since Acrobat 5 was new. ( I use
    reader plug-in to use with internet browser.)
    - Bobb -, Sep 4, 2009
  9. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>> <snipped>

    >>> BTW I have Acrobat 5 and Reader 9 - Acrobat 5 still works fine. No
    >>> conflicts ( even when I ran reader 6,7 no issues). I use Acrobat to
    >>> generate pdf's too. I rarely print anything - just "print to" pdf and
    >>> save it .
    >>>

    >> Really! I've avoided Acrobat Reader -- all versions -- for years because
    >> I have Acrobat (full version) 6.0. I can use Acrobat 6 and Reader <any
    >> version> ? I did not know that. I thought there would be conflicts that
    >> would prove to be highly problematic, if not fatal.
    >>

    > No guarantees but it's been fine on my PC since Acrobat 5 was new. ( I use
    > reader plug-in to use with internet browser.)

    My browser simply starts Acrobat. I suppose I could tolerate having it start
    Reader 9, and starting Acrobat specifically when I want it. Honestly, all I
    really want is Distiller.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 5, 2009