ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be inst

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Yung, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. John Yung

    John Yung Guest

    All,

    I am running a middle tier component (MarshalByRefObject) as a Windows Service (the Windows Service starts a Console Application which hosts the Middle Tier component). When the services is running under a non-64bit machine, it runs without any problems (accepts client connections and API calls).

    However, when running on a 64bit Win 2003 server, I am getting the the "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed." error. I am running Microsoft Windows Services 2003 Standard x64 Edition. I compiled the software using "Any CPU" setting. I am also getting the error if I start the console application directly.

    The following contains error information (check InnerException).

    Error Message:
    Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

    Error Source:
    mscorlib:

    Error StackTrace:
    Server stack trace:
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.RemotingConfigInfo.StartupWellKnownObject(String asmName, String svrTypeName, String URI, WellKnownObjectMode mode, Boolean fReplace)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.RemotingConfigInfo.StartupWellKnownObject(String URI)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.IdentityHolder.CasualResolveIdentity(String uri)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.MethodCall.ResolveType()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.MethodCall.ResolveMethod(Boolean bThrowIfNotResolved)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.MethodCall..ctor(Object handlerObject, BinaryMethodCallMessage smuggledMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryMethodCall.ReadArray(Object[] callA, Object handlerObject)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CoreChannel.DeserializeBinaryRequestMessage(String objectUri, Stream inputStream, Boolean bStrictBinding, TypeFilterLevel securityLevel)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)

    Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at SAC.DataServices.EventServer.AttachClient(EventClient eventClient)
    at SAC.DataServices.EventClient.gI() in C:\CSharp\EventServerClient\EventClient.cs:line 22
    Inner Exception:
    Error Message:
    Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

    Error Source:
    System.Data

    Error StackTrace:
    at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.DatabaseConfigurationView.GetDefaultMapping(String name, String dbProviderName)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.DatabaseConfigurationView.GetProviderMapping(String name, String dbProviderName)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.DatabaseCustomFactory.CreateObject(IBuilderContext context, String name, IConfigurationSource configurationSource, ConfigurationReflectionCache reflectionCache)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.ConfiguredObjectStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context, Type t, Object existing, String id)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context, Type typeToBuild, Object existing, String idToBuild)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context, Type typeToBuild, Object existing, String idToBuild)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.ConfigurationNameMappingStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context, Type t, Object existing, String id)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.DoBuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, Type typeToBuild, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[] transientPolicies)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, Type typeToBuild, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[] transientPolicies)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.BuildUp[TTypeToBuild](IReadWriteLocator locator, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[] transientPolicies)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp[T](IReadWriteLocator locator, IConfigurationSource configurationSource)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp[T](IConfigurationSource configurationSource)
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp[T]()
    at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase()
    at SAC.DataServices.CorpAction.WithholdingTax.BizSvr..ctor()

    Please advice, Thanks,

    John Yung

    John Yung, Dec 28, 2005

  2. RE: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework

    Hi,

    Sorry there are not any 64bit versions of the odbc drivers. You
    need to compile the application for x86 to force the computer to use the
    32bit drivers.

    I made a suggestion in the msdn product feed back center for a 64bit version
    of odbc. Please vote for it.

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=a533f823-73a1-40e8-9380-d25b58ce8ae8

    Ken
    http://www.vb-tips.com
    ---------------------------

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIFR1Y2tlciBbTVZQXQ==?=, Dec 28, 2005

  3. John Yung

    John Yung Guest

    Re: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework

    Ken,

    I compiled the code under "Any CPU" setting in VS.NET 2005 and our backend
    is a MS SQL 2000 with SP4 (32bit) DB. Thus, I don't think it is trying to
    use 64bit version of odbc. What makes you think it is trying to use a 64bit
    version of odbc?

    Thanks,

    John Yung

    John Yung, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Re: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framew

    We're having a similar problem, and if I'm not mistaken the problem lies with
    32 bit emulation. Basically with the target cpu set to "any cpu" it tries to
    use the 64 bit proc with 32 bit ODBC. If the target cpu is set to x86, it
    will force 32 bit emulation with the 32 bit ODBC drivers. Please correct me
    if I'm wrong, Ken.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFyb2QgQ3VtbWluZ3M=?=, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Re: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework

    Hi,

    I am trying to figure out this problem. What version of the
    enterprise application blocks are you using?

    Ken
    ------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  6. John Yung

    John Yung Guest

    Re: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework

    Ken,

    I am using Microsoft Enterprise Library November 2005. To makesure I could use ClickOnce technology to deploy my WinForm client, I strong signed the DLLs.

    I can install and run the program on a 32bit machine without any problems. However, once I copied the program to a 64bit machine, it would not run.

    I also found more error information:

    Unhandled Exception: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or asse
    mbly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=ne
    utral, PublicKeyToken=3fa5b950a3ed0199' or one of its dependencies. An attempt w
    as made to load a program with an incorrect format.
    File name: 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Cult
    ure=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3fa5b950a3ed0199'
    at SAC.DataServices.CorpAction.WithholdingTax.BizSvr.Finalize()

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: User = SACCAP\JohnY
    LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.
    0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3fa5b950a3ed0199
    (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/SAC Capital/SAC DataServices CorpA
    ction WithholdingTax BizSvr Host/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
    Calling assembly : SAC.DataServices.CorpAction.WithholdingTax.BizSvr, Version=1.
    1.2189.29367, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
    ===
    LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files (x86)\SAC Capital\SA
    C DataServices CorpAction WithholdingTax BizSvr Host\BizSvr_Host.exe.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\
    v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Versi
    on=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3fa5b950a3ed0199
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/SAC Capital/S
    AC DataServices CorpAction WithholdingTax BizSvr Host/Microsoft.Practices.Enterp
    riseLibrary.Logging.DLL.
    ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x8007000b). Probing terminated.

    Thanks,

    John Yung

    John Yung, Dec 30, 2005
  7. John Yung

    John Yung Guest

    Re: ADO.NET on x64 error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework

    All,

    I found the problem: I complied my code with the "Any CPU" setting, but the Enterprise Library is complied with the "x86" setting. When .NET runs my code and tries to load EntLibrary, it assumes the EntLibrary is also 64bit, thus cause the problem.

    This http://blogs.msdn.com/jaiprakash/archive/2005/10/06/477645.aspx page has more information on this problem.

    Thanks,

    John Yung

    John Yung, Dec 30, 2005