ADO Cursor location - HELP

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Guest, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,
    I know this post is some what irrelavant to this site, but
    I thought I'll try my luck here.
    Can some one please explain the answer to the following
    question. I find the question a bit vague and the best way
    of reducing network traffic is to have client-side cursor,
    I would have thought.
    "the data in the result ", I suppose this refers to a
    recordset.
    Your help is much appreciated.

    QUESTION:
    You are developing a client/server application. The client
    application will access only some of the data in the
    result set .You want to minimize the amount of network
    traffic. Which type of database cursor should you
    use in the application?

    A. dynamic server-side cursor

    B. dynamic keyset client-side with pessimistic locking

    C. static client-side cursor with optimistic locking

    D. non-keysetclient-side cursor.

    THANKS
    VIJI

    Guest, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Guest

    ND Guest

    If you have a client side cursor then you are stepping through the data one
    row at a time from the client while looking at data all way back on the
    database server. So, every row will have to be fetched, one at a time, from
    the database to the client. That's a ton of round trips. Cursors step
    through data one row at a time, they do not contain data, they just look at
    it one row at a time. Moving the cursor to the client does not move the
    data too. The data stays in the database and so the cursor must pull each
    row of data from the database. The closer the cursor is to the DB the less
    network traffic. The only reason you would want to move the cursor out of
    the database is to reduce the CPU load on the DB server. If you want to
    move the data to the client, in one big chunk, you must use a DataSet.

    Clear?
    ND

    ND, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Hi.

    Couldn't you find the answer to your question on the dump site you recommend
    under the post titled, "Study Material or Dumps"?

    The mere mention of that site sickens me...

    Check it out - learn about ADO cursors in MSDN and figure out the answer
    yourself. You'll truly benefit from the research.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/acdata/ac_8_con_07_5lpz.asp

    I apologize in advance if it was someone else sharing your surname in the
    other post.
    Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA

    Davin Mickelson, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Check it out - learn about ADO cursors in MSDN and figure out the answer
    >yourself. You'll truly benefit from the research.
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/acdata/ac_8_con_07_5lpz.asp

    You are too kind. I find it amazing that these morons do not have the
    intelligence to find the answers out for themselves.

    Thank god they can't get any work.

    Kline Sphere, Nov 12, 2003