    "confused"?

    Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

    C.
    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jun 27, 2010

  2. Windows 7 (and Vista before it) runs even administrative users as a more
    limited user most of the time, and only elevates to administrative rights
    when you actually _need_ it to do something, and only when you authorize it.
    This is by design, and is intended to protect you and your computer from at
    least some of the possible malware out there. It is possible to turn this
    off, but I strongly recommend NOT doing so. Over time you'll find that you
    rarely get prompted for elevation in the normal course of using the
    computer. But during the early days of using it, you will get prompted much
    more often, as you're installing applications, configuring settings, etc.

    Some older applications that are poorly designed will not start without
    getting administrative rights. That's just bad design, and I would urge you
    to find newer or alternative versions that don't require that elevation.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2010

  3. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Corsair Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    following with the thread, I want not to be asked for "some" applications to
    be auto-run, e.g. CCleaner,
    I have this software (latest version) as started in the start-up, but every
    time computer starts I'm asked
    about running or not.

    How could be done for not being asked for "some" programs, running under
    account with Administrator
    privileges.

    Corsair

    mensaje de noticias:...

    Corsair, Jun 27, 2010
  4. Some programs will always demand administrator privileges and should not be
    put in your startup folder for just that reason. Sounds like this is one.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2010
  5. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Corsair.

    I’m not familiar with CCleaner – or any “cleaner†application. But with many apps, you can right-click on the .exe and choose Properties. On the Compatibility tab you should find a checkbox to “Run this program as an administratorâ€. I’m not sure that this setting exists or actually works for ALL apps, but maybe it does for the one you need it for.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jun 28, 2010
  6. Even when it does, I think you still get prompted for rights elevation.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2010
  7. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Corsair Guest

    Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certain programs...

    I've tried this, but other way is that I have no room to do it,
    as is not listed in the Start up folder, it goes straight to the
    registry and could not say that run as administrator, but done
    with the normal program and every time is started user always
    prompted for privileges.

    Corsair, Jun 28, 2010
  8. Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certain programs...

    Why not just uninstall CCleaner? It provides no useful service, and clearly
    isn't well behaved. Personally, I avoid programs that claim to do what
    CCleaner claims to do like the plague. The LAST thinkg I want is an
    application that "cleans" my system, automatically. Windows doesn't need
    cleaning, thank you, and if it I want to remove something, I want to know
    exactly what is being removed. And why. And how.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2010
  9. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certain programs...

    On 28/06/2010 in message
    <> Charlie Russel - MVP
    wrote:

    >Why not just uninstall CCleaner? It provides no useful service, and
    >clearly isn't well behaved. Personally, I avoid programs that claim to do
    >what CCleaner claims to do like the plague. The LAST thinkg I want is an
    >application that "cleans" my system, automatically. Windows doesn't need
    >cleaning, thank you, and if it I want to remove something, I want to know
    >exactly what is being removed. And why. And how.

    It is the best temp file remover and registry cleaner around by a million
    miles. It is excellent at removing redundant registry entries that
    un-installers leave behind, MSFT seem particularly bad at not cleaning up
    after an un-install.

    It runs fine on x32 and x64 Windows, the issue with Win 7 is UAC, it needs
    to be turned off to enable the user to get control of his/her OS back.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
    Jeff Gaines, Jun 28, 2010
  10. Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certainprograms...

    CCleaner also removes some files you don't want removed. I tried it on
    my computer and it removed some files that really messed up a few programs.

    I'm with Charlie on this one - stay away from it!

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 28, 2010
  11. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certain programs...

    On 28/06/2010 in message <#> Bobby
    Johnson wrote:

    >CCleaner also removes some files you don't want removed. I tried it on my
    >computer and it removed some files that really messed up a few programs.
    >
    >I'm with Charlie on this one - stay away from it!

    I've been using it for years and never had a problem. It's a pity MSFT
    provide things like video editors and media players instead of some decent
    tools for keeping the OS clean.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
    Jeff Gaines, Jun 28, 2010
  12. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Kue2 Guest

    Re: Administrator rights: why do I keep getting told that certain programs...

    Hi Jeff
    been using it for a couple years "excellent program" I agree with you on
    this one.

    Kue2, Jun 28, 2010