    Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
    present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
    Thanks in advance again!
    Tim Lister, Aug 6, 2004

  2. In article <G9TQc.398$>,
    says...
    > Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
    > account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
    > obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
    > into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
    > Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
    > present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
    > Thanks in advance again!

    Well one security issue might be that it has no password by default on
    HOME version on PRO version the password is whatever you set it to when
    you first installed. You likely might want to at least set a password.
    chris schwall, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Tim Lister

    Jbob Guest

    "Tim Lister" <> wrote in message
    > Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
    > account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
    > obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
    > into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
    > Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
    > present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
    > Thanks in advance again!

    I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT based
    OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
    to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this is
    is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
    somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of a
    reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
    during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal user
    acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account. Most
    system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed. You
    can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
    Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should have
    fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
    admin rights.
    Jbob, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Jbob this is partly right anyway... if you dont use the "welcome screen" but
    instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as
    administrator...
    otherwise i think you are very correct in your statement =D

    Jimmie Moberg, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Tim Lister

    Tim Lister Guest

    Jimmie Moberg wrote:

    > Jbob this is partly right anyway... if you dont use the "welcome screen" but
    > instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as
    > administrator...
    > otherwise i think you are very correct in your statement =D
    >
    > "Jbob" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>"Tim Lister" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
    >>>account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
    >>>obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
    >>>into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
    >>>Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
    >>>present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
    >>>Thanks in advance again!

    >>I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT

    > based
    >
    >>OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
    >>to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this

    > is
    >
    >>is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
    >>somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of

    >>reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
    >>during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal

    > user
    >
    >>acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account.

    > Most
    >
    >>system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed.

    > You
    >
    >>can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
    >>Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should

    > have
    >
    >>fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
    >>admin rights.

    Thanks guys! It's really nice to be able to ask experts about these
    things that niggle away at me!
    Tim Lister, Aug 10, 2004