    (All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
    proper place or at least put it where I want it.
    How is that accomplished?

    oscar, Dec 23, 2005

  2. oscar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:_aLqf.5748$xF6.4110@fed1read01,
    oscar spewed forth:
    > Win XP Pro
    >
    > I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
    > I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
    > and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
    > (All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
    > proper place or at least put it where I want it.
    > How is that accomplished?

    Right-click the taskbar, select properties. Click the start menu tab. Click
    Customize next to Start Menu. Click the advanced tab. Scroll down to System
    Administrative Tools. Select your option.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005

  3. oscar

    Trax Guest

    "oscar" <> wrote:

    |>Win XP Pro
    |>
    |>I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
    |>I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
    |>and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
    |>(All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
    |>proper place or at least put it where I want it.
    |>How is that accomplished?

    If other suggestions don't work try:

    Right click on the Start Button and select "explore all users", Open
    Programs and move it there (or drop on Programs).

    The path is "<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
    Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

    --
    Floating Magnet
    http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

    Trax, Dec 23, 2005
  4. oscar

    oscar Guest

    Thanks to both of you!!
    Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
    ad tools icon from my desktop.

    oscar, Dec 23, 2005
  5. oscar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:QlLqf.5751$xF6.2466@fed1read01,
    oscar spewed forth:
    > Thanks to both of you!!
    > Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
    > ad tools icon from my desktop.

    Right-click, delete.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  6. oscar

    oscar Guest

    No such luck TTim. Window arises: 'Cannot be Deleted' (sic)

    oscar, Dec 23, 2005
  7. oscar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Is it telling you the file is in use? Try booting in safe mode and deleting
    it.

    oscar spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  8. oscar

    oscar Guest

    Safe mode - same thing: 'Administrative Tools is a Windows system folder
    and
    is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted'. I can
    put it up in my taskbar with the others as a copy but the original icon
    stays
    on the desktop.
    Guess I'm stuck with this AdMin icon as the only one in/on my desktop.
    I lurk here regularly and I'm familiar with your postings which are always
    germane and helpful. I thank you for your efforts.

    oscar, Dec 23, 2005
  9. oscar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - that is a tough one. I've spent a few minutes trying to figure out
    how it could have happened in the first place, since that's directly related
    to the solution.

    If it really is the actual system folder, then the folder itself got moved,
    rather than a shortcut being created. So, it is essential to know what the
    original location is. That particular folder belongs here:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

    So if you open that folder with Windows explorer and then drag your
    Administrative Tools folder back from the desktop, it should be fixed.

    In news:dxNqf.8496$xF6.7083@fed1read01,
    oscar spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005