    ........ go on line to find prog.

    Any help, leads or advice very much appreciated.

    Regards.

    Alun, Jan 1, 2011

  2. Alun

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:42:18 +0000, Alun wrote:

    > Xp Pro on a Dell GX260.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any ideas of how to restore the Administrative tools?
    >
    > The shortcuts are there but they lead to no where.
    >
    > I do remember trying to tackle this problem about a month or so back but
    > gave up and frankly not too sure what I have done. I don't think I can
    > Google this much further.
    >
    > When I click the shortcuts I get a message saying Windows does not
    > recognise ....... go on line to find prog.
    >
    > Any help, leads or advice very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards.

    Hi,

    How did you become aware of this issue?

    i.e. were they deliberately deleted or is this a part of a potentially
    bigger problem with that machine?

    What's the health of the file system and HDD like? Have you tried
    performing a "system restore"?

    Sweetpea, Jan 1, 2011

  3. Alun

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <tXHTo.5103$2>, d,
    Alun says...

    > Xp Pro on a Dell GX260.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any ideas of how to restore the Administrative tools?
    >
    > The shortcuts are there but they lead to no where.
    >
    > I do remember trying to tackle this problem about a month or so back but
    > gave up and frankly not too sure what I have done. I don't think I can
    > Google this much further.
    >
    > When I click the shortcuts I get a message saying Windows does not recognise
    > ....... go on line to find prog.
    >
    > Any help, leads or advice very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards.

    If this is malware related (and it usually is) then Malwarebytes does a
    good job here...
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-
    10804572.html?tag=mncol;1

    SuperAntiSpyware might find some more...
    http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-
    10523889.html?tag=mncol;1

    Be good to follow up with MS's online full scan tool (fix invalid
    registry entries, as well as a virus scan etc)...
    http://safety.live.com

    Install a new AV - MS's free AV is great...
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 1, 2011
  4. Alun

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:10:58 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Install a new AV - MS's free AV is great...

    LOL!

    Installing a security tool produced by a company that is unable to
    produce a secure OS???!

    Sweetpea, Jan 2, 2011
  5. In article <tXHTo.5103$2>, d says...

    > Xp Pro on a Dell GX260.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any ideas of how to restore the Administrative tools?
    >
    > The shortcuts are there but they lead to no where.
    >
    > I do remember trying to tackle this problem about a month or so back but
    > gave up and frankly not too sure what I have done. I don't think I can
    > Google this much further.
    >
    > When I click the shortcuts I get a message saying Windows does not recognise
    > ....... go on line to find prog.
    >
    > Any help, leads or advice very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards.

    Just to try if they're there:

    eventviewer is eventvwr.msc
    services tool is services.msc
    computermanagement is compmgmnt.msc

    they're all located in the system32 directory inside your systemroot directory
    (e.g. c:\windows\ ) and they all get called with the /s parameter in my setup:

    "c:\windows\system32\services.msc /s"

    make sure that .msc files are bound to open with c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe
    by opening a folder, -> tools menu -> folder options item -> file types tab

    alternatively you can try to invoke

    c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe "c:\windows\system32\services.msc /s" in a command
    shell.

    If none of that works, look and make sure the files are there. Sounds like a
    corrupted link, missing system folder or file association problem to me, which
    might be malware but could also simply be registry corruption or some such, or
    a wonky disk sector.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 2, 2011
  6. In article <>,
    ess says...

    > In article <tXHTo.5103$2>, d says...

    Further to that, I can actually double click on the icons for services and
    computer management in the system32 directory and they start up just fine.
    Don't have to go through control panel or via command prompt as a necessity.

    if mmc or the .msc file association is not there on your computer, I can copy
    and paste the latter here.

    this is the command string for the 'open' action of the file association for
    msc files (assuming your windows install is in c:\windows):

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe "%1" %*

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 2, 2011
  7. On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 11:10:58 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <tXHTo.5103$2>, d,
    >Alun says...
    >>
    >> Xp Pro on a Dell GX260.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me any ideas of how to restore the Administrative tools?
    >>
    >> The shortcuts are there but they lead to no where.
    >>
    >> I do remember trying to tackle this problem about a month or so back but
    >> gave up and frankly not too sure what I have done. I don't think I can
    >> Google this much further.
    >>
    >> When I click the shortcuts I get a message saying Windows does not recognise
    >> ....... go on line to find prog.
    >>
    >> Any help, leads or advice very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards.

    >If this is malware related (and it usually is) then Malwarebytes does a
    >good job here...
    >http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-
    >10804572.html?tag=mncol;1
    >
    >SuperAntiSpyware might find some more...
    >http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-
    >10523889.html?tag=mncol;1
    >
    >Be good to follow up with MS's online full scan tool (fix invalid
    >registry entries, as well as a virus scan etc)...
    >http://safety.live.com
    >
    >Install a new AV - MS's free AV is great...
    >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    No its Utter Crap..

    Use Avast.

    William Brown, Jan 2, 2011