    prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him from
    the computer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    PJ, Nov 4, 2004

  2. PJ

    Leythos Guest

    In article <lPwid.245$>, says...
    > Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user passwords?
    > I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day after
    > my 14 year old son knew my password?
    > All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    > pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he says
    > it's his secret.
    > I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    > prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him from
    > the computer.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Unless you kid installed a Key-Logger on the system he's BS'ing you. If
    you are opening Windows with a User/Password combination there is no
    combination of keys that will reveal your password. I would guess that
    he watched you, found where you wrote it down, or has installed a key-
    logger.

    If he won't show you, and then demonstrate it for you, do the adult
    thing and ban him from the computer - you are the adult, in charge, and
    he's just a kid.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Nov 4, 2004

  3. PJ

    PJ Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <lPwid.245$>, says...
    > > Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user

    passwords?
    > > I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day

    after
    > > my 14 year old son knew my password?
    > > All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    > > pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he

    says
    > > it's his secret.
    > > I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    > > prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him

    from
    > > the computer.
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > Unless you kid installed a Key-Logger on the system he's BS'ing you. If
    > you are opening Windows with a User/Password combination there is no
    > combination of keys that will reveal your password. I would guess that
    > he watched you, found where you wrote it down, or has installed a key-
    > logger.
    >
    > If he won't show you, and then demonstrate it for you, do the adult
    > thing and ban him from the computer - you are the adult, in charge, and
    > he's just a kid.

    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    He wouldn't be able to install a key-Logger without the admin password
    though, so how did he get it. I had not written it down anywhere and he
    wasn't in the house when I set up the admin password ???

    PJ, Nov 4, 2004
  4. PJ

    Jason Guest

    * PJ <>:

    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <lPwid.245$>, says...
    >> > Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user

    > passwords?
    >> > I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day

    > after
    >> > my 14 year old son knew my password?
    >> > All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    >> > pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he

    > says
    >> > it's his secret.
    >> > I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    >> > prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him

    > from
    >> > the computer.
    >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Unless you kid installed a Key-Logger on the system he's BS'ing you. If
    >> you are opening Windows with a User/Password combination there is no
    >> combination of keys that will reveal your password. I would guess that
    >> he watched you, found where you wrote it down, or has installed a key-
    >> logger.
    >>
    >> If he won't show you, and then demonstrate it for you, do the adult
    >> thing and ban him from the computer - you are the adult, in charge, and
    >> he's just a kid.
    >>

    >> --
    >> --
    >>
    >> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    > He wouldn't be able to install a key-Logger without the admin password
    > though, so how did he get it. I had not written it down anywhere and he
    > wasn't in the house when I set up the admin password ???

    He could have just guessed it through trial and error. Did you set your
    password with a combination of capital and lower case letters along with
    numbers and symbols?

    Jason

    Jason, Nov 4, 2004
  5. PJ

    PJ Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > * PJ <>:
    > >
    > > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > >> In article <lPwid.245$>, says...

    > > passwords?

    > > after

    he
    > > says

    can

    him
    > > from
    > >>
    > >> Unless you kid installed a Key-Logger on the system he's BS'ing you. If
    > >> you are opening Windows with a User/Password combination there is no
    > >> combination of keys that will reveal your password. I would guess that
    > >> he watched you, found where you wrote it down, or has installed a key-
    > >> logger.
    > >>
    > >> If he won't show you, and then demonstrate it for you, do the adult
    > >> thing and ban him from the computer - you are the adult, in charge, and
    > >> he's just a kid.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    > > He wouldn't be able to install a key-Logger without the admin password
    > > though, so how did he get it. I had not written it down anywhere and he
    > > wasn't in the house when I set up the admin password ???
    > >

    > He could have just guessed it through trial and error. Did you set your
    > password with a combination of capital and lower case letters along with
    > numbers and symbols?
    >
    > Jason

    There's not much chance that he guessed it, it was a concoction of his
    mothers clock number, name of work and initials, but...I had actually
    entered the wrong initial so it's very unlikely that he guessed it.

    PJ, Nov 4, 2004
  6. "PJ" <> wrote in message
    > There's not much chance that he guessed it, it was a concoction of his
    > mothers clock number, name of work and initials, but...I had actually
    > entered the wrong initial so it's very unlikely that he guessed it.

    Are you sure he actually knows the new password? Did he have unrestricted
    access to the computer prior to you changing the admin password?

    Rick

    Richard S. Westmoreland, Nov 4, 2004
  7. PJ

    Jason Guest

    * PJ <>:

    > "Jason" <> wrote in message
    >> * PJ <>:
    >> >
    >> > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    >> > passwords?
    >> > after

    > he
    >> > says

    > can

    > him
    >> > from

    >> > He wouldn't be able to install a key-Logger without the admin password
    >> > though, so how did he get it. I had not written it down anywhere and he
    >> > wasn't in the house when I set up the admin password ???
    >> >

    >> He could have just guessed it through trial and error. Did you set your
    >> password with a combination of capital and lower case letters along with
    >> numbers and symbols?
    >>
    >> Jason

    > There's not much chance that he guessed it, it was a concoction of his
    > mothers clock number, name of work and initials, but...I had actually
    > entered the wrong initial so it's very unlikely that he guessed it.

    Dont underestimate the little bugger, kids now a days are way to smart
    when it comes to computers. :) It's just as likely he's pulling your leg
    too, you could always reset the administrator password. Yes, you can do
    that if you don't know it.

    Do we call you PJ or Paddy? How many times are you going to ask this anyhow?

    Jason

    Jason, Nov 5, 2004
  8. PJ

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <lPwid.245$>, "PJ"
    <> wrote:
    >Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user passwords?
    >I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day after
    >my 14 year old son knew my password?
    >All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    >pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he says
    >it's his secret.
    >I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    >prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him from
    >the computer.
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    It is rather difficult to know the password (unless it is
    easilyguessable, a hardware or software keylogger has been used,
    or the little devil just peeked).

    However, it is trivial to *change* an administrator password.
    (One such tool is from Winternal - but there are many.)
    Moreover, a crafty user, after completing a session with the
    changed administrator password can then restore the old one
    (although he doesn't know what it is!).

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Nov 5, 2004
  9. PJ

    Argus Rogue Guest

    There is an application called AWPR (Advance Windows Password recovery) that
    he probably installed (you don't need to be administrator to install it)
    that he could have installed on the pc. When you run this application, it
    will reveal all userid and password for anyone who has an account on that PC
    or who has logged into that pc.

    When you launch the application, under the Main Menu tab, there is an option
    called Rccovered Hashes which will show all user's hashes on the PC to
    include userid and password.

    What's funny about this is that my 10 year daughter did the same thing to
    me. Kids today huh

    Argus Rogue, Nov 5, 2004
  10. PJ

    Lutze Guest

    Argus Rogue wrote:
    > There is an application called AWPR (Advance Windows Password recovery) that
    > he probably installed (you don't need to be administrator to install it)
    > that he could have installed on the pc. When you run this application, it
    > will reveal all userid and password for anyone who has an account on that PC
    > or who has logged into that pc.
    >
    > When you launch the application, under the Main Menu tab, there is an option
    > called Rccovered Hashes which will show all user's hashes on the PC to
    > include userid and password.
    >
    > What's funny about this is that my 10 year daughter did the same thing to
    > me. Kids today huh
    >

    > "PJ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user

    > passwords?
    >
    >>I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day after
    >>my 14 year old son knew my password?
    >>All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    >>pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he

    > says
    >
    >>it's his secret.
    >>I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    >>prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him

    > from
    >
    >>the computer.
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    It can also be done with tweakxp in the power toys folder on an install cd.

    --
    "Whale Oil Beef Hooked."

    "Lu Tze."

    Lutze, Nov 5, 2004
  11. PJ

    Eric Guest

    "PJ" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user

    passwords?
    > I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited, the day after
    > my 14 year old son knew my password?
    > All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    > pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he

    says
    > it's his secret.
    > I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    > prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him

    from
    > the computer.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    There is no way to press a combination of keys and reveal your admin
    password unless,

    1, he saw your password before,
    2, when you are away, he got a chance to play with your accout,
    3, he has installed keylogger,
    4, he installed password recovery /reveal software,
    (http://www.xstudio.ca/security/passwordrecovery.html)

    You may use adaware or any other antispyware tools to scan if you got any
    keyloggers.

    Eric, Nov 5, 2004
  12. PJ

    dougga Guest

    It would be very helpful to know what sort of computer we're talking about.
    With Windows 95 through Windows NT, it is trivial to hack the passwords.
    Other systems like Windows XP and Linux have much more robust security
    infrastructure.

    If you have a wireless network, or a means of accessing the network with
    another computer, again, many ISPs REQUIRE that you use an unencrypted
    password to retrieve email from their POP servers. If you admin password
    is the same as your email password, then poof you're vulnerable to anyone
    curious about your systems.

    All of this is idle speculation based on the information you have left out
    of your initial post.

    It seems amazing that this rather lengthy discussion would be had without
    this simple yet critical question being asked: what OS are we talking
    about?

    Cheers,

    ~D MBA, CNE, MCP, CCNA

    dougga, Nov 5, 2004
  13. PJ

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > It would be very helpful to know what sort of computer we're talking about.
    > With Windows 95 through Windows NT, it is trivial to hack the passwords.
    > Other systems like Windows XP and Linux have much more robust security
    > infrastructure.

    Well, with all of your MCP skills, since he said that he setup himself
    as Administrator and the other users as Users, it's safe to assume that
    it's not 94 or 98 and even safer to assume XP, 2000, or NT.

    98/95 does not have administrator accounts.

    His kid is either pulling his leg or knows the password - he's not
    responded to my posting where I asked him to have his kid Prove it or
    loose computer access.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Nov 5, 2004
  14. PJ

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:53:45 -0800, dougga
    <> wrote:

    >It would be very helpful to know what sort of computer we're talking about.
    >With Windows 95 through Windows NT, it is trivial to hack the passwords.

    >All of this is idle speculation based on the information you have left out
    >of your initial post.
    >
    >It seems amazing that this rather lengthy discussion would be had without
    >this simple yet critical question being asked: what OS are we talking
    >about?

    My 10 cents: it's Windows XP.

    Win 9x does not have the 'admin account' PJ writes about, NT
    doesn't run OE6.0 (as far as I know)

    >PJ wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to press a combination of keys and reveal the user
    >> passwords? I set myself up as administrator and my children as limited,
    >> the day after my 14 year old son knew my password?
    >> All he would say is that he pressed 2 or 3 keys and it shows the most
    >> pressed keys or something like that, but he will not say which keys, he
    >> says it's his secret.
    >> I would like to know how he's doing this or at the very least how I can
    >> prevent him from finding out my new password, without having to ban him
    >> from the computer.

    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Nov 5, 2004
  15. PJ

    dougga Guest

    Good point... I'll ignore the implied insult.
    [why is it everyone seems hell bent on insulting each other in these
    groups?]

    dougga, Nov 6, 2004
  16. PJ

    dougga Guest

    The original post seems a bit suspect.
    Perhaps trolling for something... information on how to hack passwords? IT
    seems a quick Google search would be simpler.

    ~D

    dougga, Nov 6, 2004
  17. PJ

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Good point... I'll ignore the implied insult.
    > [why is it everyone seems hell bent on insulting each other in these
    > groups?]

    I did not mean to imply any insult. I work with people that like to add
    their credentials to their sigs and every email and every document. In
    most cases, over the decades, I've found that those people know less
    than the ones that don't put them every form of correspondence.

    I just figured that with your background that you would have understood
    what platform he was on. You gotta admit, with your sig, it would
    indicate that you know more than your average person.

    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> It would be very helpful to know what sort of computer we're talking
    > >> about. With Windows 95 through Windows NT, it is trivial to hack the
    > >> passwords. Other systems like Windows XP and Linux have much more robust
    > >> security infrastructure.

    > > Well, with all of your MCP skills, since he said that he setup himself
    > > as Administrator and the other users as Users, it's safe to assume that
    > > it's not 94 or 98 and even safer to assume XP, 2000, or NT.
    > >
    > > 98/95 does not have administrator accounts.
    > >
    > > His kid is either pulling his leg or knows the password - he's not
    > > responded to my posting where I asked him to have his kid Prove it or
    > > loose computer access.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Nov 6, 2004
  18. PJ

    dougga Guest

    Fair enough...

    dougga, Nov 6, 2004
  19. PJ

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:20:39 -0500, "Eric" <> wrote:

    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    #######################
    Call his bluff. Tell him there is now way that he could do that. Put
    50 dollars on the table. Tell him it's his if he tells you how he did
    it.
    donnie

    donnie, Nov 6, 2004
  20. PJ

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:20:39 -0500, "Eric" <> wrote:

    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    One other thing. Your passwd isn't 'beer' is it?
    donnie.

    donnie, Nov 6, 2004