Administrating Workgroup Network

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Robert Wolfe, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Robert Wolfe

    Robert Wolfe Guest

    Administrating Workgroup

    To: Cnone
    -=> Cnone wrote to microsoft.public.cert.exa <=-

    Cn> I have a question, is ti possible to adminstrate a workgroup network
    Cn> like in active directory network. For example, reaching clients desktop
    Cn> and using that computer for backing up, security options,new program
    Cn> installations etc.. I tried to do it using remote desktop in win xp but,
    Cn> there is a problem , user has to send me an help request for my access.
    Cn> There must be a way to do it without user's request.
    Cn> if you know any way please help me, how can i do it?,which program(s)
    Cn> should i use? etc...

    Actually, I can get into my WinXP box here WITHOUT having to do a help
    request in Windows XP Pro.

    .... I didn't believe in reincarnation in my last life, either
    --- blueMail/Linux 1.2
    --- Synchronet 3.12b-Win32 NewsLink 1.76
    Buffalo Online * Lancaster NY * buffalo.sytes.net
    Robert Wolfe, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Robert Wolfe

    Cnone Guest

    Hi Everybody,
    I have a question, is ti possible to adminstrate a workgroup network like in
    active directory network. For example, reaching clients desktop and using
    that computer for backing up, security options,new program installations
    etc.. I tried to do it using remote desktop in win xp but, there is a
    problem , user has to send me an help request for my access. There must be a
    way to do it without user's request.
    if you know any way please help me, how can i do it?,which program(s)
    should i use? etc...
    Thanks ,

    --
    Sinan CERAN
    Cnone, Mar 14, 2005

  3. That's the big difference between a workgroup network and a domain network.
    You should go for a network with Active directory integrated for easy
    administration.

    --
    Emanuel Ceciu
    MCSE, MCT

    Emanuel Ceciu [MCT], Mar 14, 2005
  4. Robert Wolfe

    Cnone Guest

    Yes, i know that it is the biggest diffrence but company doesn't want to
    spend the money needed to puchase a domain system. That's why i have to find
    a way to do administration needs. what can you advice for me?

    --
    Sinan CERAN

    "Emanuel Ceciu [MCT]" <>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    yazdý:...

    Cnone, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Robert Wolfe

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Cnone wrote:
    > Yes, i know that it is the biggest diffrence but company doesn't want
    > to spend the money needed to puchase a domain system. That's why i
    > have to find a way to do administration needs. what can you advice
    > for me?

    Use something like VNC or PCAnywhere to allow you to work on other people's
    computers at any time.
    You will both have control over the keyboard and mouse though , so you would
    ideally still need to speak to them first
    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk
    Dr Zoidberg, Mar 14, 2005
  6. You can use Remote Desktop not Remote Assistance. You will not need any
    invite to use it. However if you are connected from a remote computer the
    person from workstation cannot work.

    To activate Remote Desktop right click on My Computer, go to Remote tab and
    select Remote Desktop

    --
    Emanuel Ceciu
    MCSE, MCT

    Emanuel Ceciu [MCT], Mar 14, 2005
  7. Robert Wolfe

    Cnone Guest

    Thaks for your advice Emanuel, i have just tried that but i have an problem
    with that , when i wanted to explore the network for connecting remote
    desktop, it says "there is no terminal found" how can i bypass this
    problem. i have also tried to connect through ip but it didn't work.

    Cnone, Mar 14, 2005
  8. Robert Wolfe

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Check your subnets..... if you are in the same subnet, then remote desktop
    with IP address works wonders. We use that at home with my bf's laptop,
    since it is set up on his companies domain. Works like a charm.

    --
    Kendal Emery
    MCNGP #19

    Kendal Emery, Mar 14, 2005
  9. Robert Wolfe

    Kurt Guest

    You have to have XP Pro (not home), and you have to enable the service.
    Right-click My Computer, select properties, then the remote tab. Check the
    box in the lower frame that allows remote users to access this computer.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Mar 14, 2005