    Rebooted and now just has my kids logins and the default Administrator login.
    Is there anyway to restore them? I still see the directories under Doc and
    Settings. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=, Jun 25, 2005

  2. more info:
    If I uncheck the box "Use the Welcome Screen" under Control
    Panel|UserAccounts|Change the way users log on or off, I am able to login
    using my username and password. But if I change back to use the Welcome
    screen the 2 admins login accounts are still missing. My kids would prefer
    the Welcome screen...help still needed. thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=, Jun 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I personally would do a system restore.

    John Barnes, Jun 25, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jun 25, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=

    Jed Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:10:01 -0700, "gdellinger"
    <> wrote:

    >more info:
    >If I uncheck the box "Use the Welcome Screen" under Control
    >Panel|UserAccounts|Change the way users log on or off, I am able to login
    >using my username and password. But if I change back to use the Welcome
    >screen the 2 admins login accounts are still missing. My kids would prefer
    >the Welcome screen...help still needed. thanks.

    You can restore the Adminstrator's login to the Welcome screen, but
    you need to edit the Registry (backed up of course).

    Then entries need to be added to

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList\

    See:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol929/ruXP/Startup/howto.htm

    For more detailed instructions.

    This tweak worked for me after I changed the x64 Administrator userid
    to something more cryptic and it disappeared froem the Welcome screen.

    Take care editing the registry if you're new to it.

    Jed, Jun 25, 2005
  6. Thanks for all the quick responses. Downloaded Tweakui but didn't see
    anywhere where I could enter/modify a list of users. The registry got me
    thinking...so I just searched for my son's name until I found something that
    looked good. Found this one:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\<username>.
    Noticed all 4 of us were listed but only my two sons had the key
    "PictureSource". So created the key under my name and copied his Data
    "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account
    Pictures\Default Pictures\soccer.bmp".

    rebooted. And all is good again. Imagine that.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=, Jun 25, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Another mystery solved by the steady work of a stalwart.

    Kudos!

    M. Murcek, Jun 25, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jun 25, 2005
  9. Did it again. Very annoying. At least I know how to ix it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=, Jun 29, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Z2RlbGxpbmdlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I can relate. My user settings keep disappearing, too. erratic.

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2005