    admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    should I have there?

    John

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004

  2. LO&MsLO

    Brian H¹© Guest

    LO&MsLO said:

    > I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
    > password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
    > administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
    > panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
    > didn't give myself?
    >
    > When I go to run/control passwords2 I get the user accounts. Under
    > admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    > should I have there?
    >
    > John

    Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?
    --
    Damned NAV

    Brian H¹©, Jan 12, 2004

  3. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >LO&MsLO said:
    >
    >> I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
    >> password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
    >> administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
    >> panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
    >> didn't give myself?
    >>
    >> When I go to run/control passwords2 I get the user accounts. Under
    >> admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    >> should I have there?
    >>
    >> John

    >Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  4. LO&MsLO

    Rifleman Guest

    "LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    > <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >LO&MsLO said:
    > >
    > >> I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
    > >> password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
    > >> administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
    > >> panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
    > >> didn't give myself?
    > >>
    > >> When I go to run/control passwords2 I get the user accounts. Under
    > >> admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    > >> should I have there?
    > >>
    > >> John

    > >Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    > I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    > installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
    Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

    Rifleman, Jan 12, 2004
  5. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:28:13 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    ><-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>LO&MsLO said:
    >>
    >>> I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
    >>> password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
    >>> administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
    >>> panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
    >>> didn't give myself?
    >>>
    >>> When I go to run/control passwords2 I get the user accounts. Under
    >>> admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    >>> should I have there?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >>Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    >I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  6. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    wrote:

    >"LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    >> <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >> >Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    >> I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >> installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    >In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
    >Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

    XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
    Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
    accounts on it.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  7. LO&MsLO

    Brian H¹© Guest

    LO&MsLO said:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    > <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> LO&MsLO said:
    >>
    >>> I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
    >>> password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
    >>> administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
    >>> panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
    >>> didn't give myself?
    >>>
    >>> When I go to run/control passwords2 I get the user accounts. Under
    >>> admistrator properties I have 'Other/admistrators' checked. What
    >>> should I have there?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    > I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    > installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    Start button, logoff, logon.

    Brian H¹©, Jan 12, 2004
  8. LO&MsLO

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:28:13 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    >><-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >>>Don't you have to be logged on in Admin mode for the OS first?

    >>I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >>installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    >Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    >but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    profile) full Admin. rights.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  9. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:28:13 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >>>installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    >>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    >>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    >See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >profile) full Admin. rights.

    When I MyComputer\manage\Local Users and Groups\ I see Administrator
    and our three accounts (plus guest...). Administrator has Full rights.
    Next to my name there is nothing. Where do I change this?

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  10. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:28:13 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >>>installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    >>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    >>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    >See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >profile) full Admin. rights.

    Sorry. It says built in account....

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  11. LO&MsLO

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:02:53 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    >>>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    >>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >>profile) full Admin. rights.

    >When I MyComputer\manage\Local Users and Groups\ I see Administrator
    >and our three accounts (plus guest...). Administrator has Full rights.
    >Next to my name there is nothing. Where do I change this?

    Log on as Administrator, or another account with admin. rights, and
    make the changes to your account.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  12. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:05:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:02:53 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >>>profile) full Admin. rights.

    >>When I MyComputer\manage\Local Users and Groups\ I see Administrator
    >>and our three accounts (plus guest...). Administrator has Full rights.
    >>Next to my name there is nothing. Where do I change this?

    >Log on as Administrator, or another account with admin. rights, and
    >make the changes to your account.

    I am listed as an Administrator. How do I deteming which rights I have
    and where do I go to change them? Cnt\alt\del at Windows splash still
    will not get me anywhere other than the usual screen with our three
    names.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  13. LO&MsLO

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
    >>>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

    >>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >>profile) full Admin. rights.

    >Sorry. It says built in account....

    Administrator is a built-in account.
    Did you log in as the Administrator.
    Username: Administrator
    PW: (whatever the password is)

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  14. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
    >>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
    >>>profile) full Admin. rights.

    >>Sorry. It says built in account....

    >Administrator is a built-in account.
    >Did you log in as the Administrator.
    >Username: Administrator
    >PW: (whatever the password is)

    There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
    there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
    administrator when I installed the OS.

    Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  15. LO&MsLO

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:18:56 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Sorry. It says built in account....

    >>Administrator is a built-in account.
    >>Did you log in as the Administrator.
    >>Username: Administrator
    >>PW: (whatever the password is)

    >There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
    >there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
    >administrator when I installed the OS.

    The administrator account is a built-in account and it is there by
    default. If you didn't assign it a password then the password is
    probably blank.
    You are going to have to log in as the admin. or another account
    listed as having admin. rights in order to change the rights assigned
    to your own profile.
    Log in as your wife or daughter.
    Click <Start> <Run> and type in "compmgmt.msc /s" without the quotes.
    In the left pane of the computer management console, expand the Local
    Users and Groups section by clicking the + sign.
    Click the Users folder.
    In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
    Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
    On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
    Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
    Click the Add button.
    Click Advanced.
    Click Find Now
    Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
    Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
    Log off.
    Log back on as yourself.
    Do things.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  16. LO&MsLO

    Rifleman Guest

    "LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
    > Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
    > accounts on it.

    Then you have Home edition. Boot up into Safe Mode to see the built-in Admin
    account.

    Rifleman, Jan 12, 2004
  17. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:39:57 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:18:56 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >>>Administrator is a built-in account.
    >>>Did you log in as the Administrator.
    >>>Username: Administrator
    >>>PW: (whatever the password is)

    >>There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
    >>there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
    >>administrator when I installed the OS.

    >The administrator account is a built-in account and it is there by
    >default. If you didn't assign it a password then the password is
    >probably blank.
    >You are going to have to log in as the admin. or another account
    >listed as having admin. rights in order to change the rights assigned
    >to your own profile.
    >Log in as your wife or daughter.
    >Click <Start> <Run> and type in "compmgmt.msc /s" without the quotes.
    >In the left pane of the computer management console, expand the Local
    >Users and Groups section by clicking the + sign.
    >Click the Users folder.
    >In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
    >Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
    >On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
    >Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
    >Click the Add button.
    >Click Advanced.
    >Click Find Now
    >Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
    >Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
    >Log off.
    >Log back on as yourself.
    >Do things.
    >

    >>Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

    In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
    Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
    On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.

    In users I have:
    Admin
    me
    Guest
    daughter
    HelpAssis
    wife
    Support

    For all of us (me,wife,daughter) It says: Member of ADMINISTRATORS

    Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.

    under groups I have Administrators
    Back up operators
    Guests
    Network Config
    Power Users
    Remote Desktop Users
    Replicator
    Users
    HelpServicesGroup

    delete thisgroup?

    Click the Add button.

    Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
    hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
    hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
    listed as administrators.

    Click Advanced.

    Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  18. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:41:54 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    wrote:

    >"LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
    >> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
    >> accounts on it.
    >> >

    >Then you have Home edition. Boot up into Safe Mode to see the built-in Admin
    >account.

    Nope. Says XP Pro on the splash.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004
  19. LO&MsLO wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
    >>> installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

    >>In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
    >>Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

    > XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
    > Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
    > accounts on it.

    Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
    than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?

    "When all else fails, try following directions."

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 12, 2004
  20. LO&MsLO

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >LO&MsLO wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"LO&MsLO" <> wrote in message

    >>>In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
    >>>Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

    >> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
    >> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
    >> accounts on it.

    >Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
    >than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
    >
    >"When all else fails, try following directions."

    I did hit ctrl/del. (I don't rempber saying I hit ESCAPE. In fact
    I've been using ctrl\alt\del for the 14 years I've had a computer.
    Pehaps it doesn't work because ther is no administrator on this
    computer. When I installed it I passed over the option of having an
    administrator. There is no need for an administrator on a home
    computer. At least not in my house.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 12, 2004