    -----------------
    Darth 2000
    Says: The Dark Side need a long life bulb.

    Darth 2000, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Why would you possibly WANT to display the administrator account on the
    login screen?
    The administrator account should never be run for casual use--placing it on
    the welcome screen would tend to tempt people to use it as a regular
    account.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 27, 2003

  3. ----- Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User) wrote: -----

    Why would you possibly WANT to display the administrator account on the
    login screen?
    The administrator account should never be run for casual use--placing it on
    the welcome screen would tend to tempt people to use it as a regular
    account.

    OK, Larry. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I actually think knowing as much as you can about usernames, passwords, logon procedures / choices, and how and why they can be different on the different OS's is very important to a computer professional. In fact, I am not sure that anybody who has thought about the importance of security and how it can be made to work would think differently and they would aim to learn as much as possible on all related topics. Logon methods and choices is a big part of that. Just because you are not able or just plain won't help on this ocassion does not mean it isn't a very good question.

    Surely you might acknowledge that there are other possibilities here? What about if he isn't using it casually? What if he is the only user and he has chosen to deliberately limit the number of administrator accounts? What if he wants and needs Administrator logon on this machine all the time and he knows and accepts all the reasons why he shouldn't, but he chooses to anyway? Assume that he has debated the merits of not using Administrator as his preferred logon and decided that he is going to anyway. So consider that he is now asking for help rather than a debate on whether or not it is the most appropriate thing to do.

    Darth: In any case, here an explanantion of why Administrator does not appear:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327918&Product=winxp

    >> How can I force XP to display the Administrator Account in the welcome

    > screen?
    > I have searched the Help Files and also the KB without success.
    > Thanks in advance!

    Generally, the password created for the administrator account with Windows XP is used to logon in safe mode only.

    If you add a second account to a Windows XP Pro computer that has administrator priviliges, the built-in administrator account is not listed in the friendly logon method. Here is the info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp

    This article may be of further help to you in understanding the logon options:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;282866

    Here is an article on the CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226&Product=winxp

    There are also some registry keys that can be manipulated for automated logons. I don't have an XP machine handy to test this, but on my Windows 2000 Server, it is in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon

    Here, you can modify or create new string values like:
    AutoAdminLogon ;Set to 0 or 1 to disable / enable auto logon with username / password specified
    DefaultDomainName
    DefaultPassword ; not that this is a security issue!
    DefaultUsername
    DontDisplayLastUsername ; if set to 0 rather than 1, you won't see the last logon name.

    There is also a DWORD value here:
    ShowLogonOptions ; if set to 0 to disable rather than 1 you don't get the extra options like lock workstation, shutdown, task manager, etc. at the logon dialogue.

    Play carefully with the registry.

    Here are some notes I have about other cool things you can do with XP usernames / passwords:

    To enable autologon without editing the registry,
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
    In the dialog box that appears, clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

    How to reset passwords:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305&Product=winxp
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306214&Product=winxp

    That should keep you busy.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Dec 28, 2003
  4. The reason I asked is that many users are not familiar with quickly
    launching the administrator account in normal mode or with the "run as"
    option.
    There is absolutely NO reason to run as administrator unless you are
    performing administration tasks.

    If a poorly written program requires admin privileges to run,simply
    right-click the exe or shortcut and use "run as".

    If you do need to get to the administrator account quickly in normal mode,
    simply click switch users.At the welcome screen press ctrl-alt-del-del to
    bring up the classic logon--type administrator for the username and enter
    the admin password.
    No muss--no fuss--no exposed administrator account.

    If you positively are determined to run as administrator at all times simply
    delete all other accounts you have created--Administrator will appear on the
    Welcome Screen until you create another account.
    Do so at your own risk--any malware you encounter will be running with full
    privileges.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 28, 2003
  5. Darth 2000

    Darth 2000 Guest

    Thnaks to all for your help.

    I am the only one who uses this computer and i'm not too concerned about
    people trying to log into my PC. It's just sitting at home amongst many
    other computers (2 x Win98, 2 x XP Pro, 2 x Win2k Pro and 1 x 2kServer).

    So if anyone *wanted* to log into a computer, it's quite easy since we all
    know eachothers' pw's (except mine :D)

    There would be no way I would expose the Admin account on a client PC on the
    Welcome Screen. NO WAY. I know better than that.

    Though I DO appreciate knowing that I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL in the welcome
    screen to display the Classic screen!! I didn't know that before!
    Thanks for that!

    ---------------
    Darth 2000
    Says: Administrators Rule, OK?

    Darth 2000, Dec 28, 2003
  6. I should have been clearer.
    ctrl-alt-del won't do it. You need to hold down ctrl+alt and press del twice
    to bring up the screen.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 28, 2003
  7. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:30:10 -0500, "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP
    \(Shell/User\)" <> wrote:

    >I should have been clearer.
    >ctrl-alt-del won't do it. You need to hold down ctrl+alt and press del twice
    >to bring up the screen.

    Nice one!
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Marlin (the Pimply Faced Youth) Munrow

    "We require rigidly defined areas
    of doubt and uncertainty!"

    Marlin Munrow (remove vroomfondle to email me), Dec 28, 2003
  8. Darth 2000

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >There is absolutely NO reason to run as administrator unless you are
    >performing administration tasks.

    Absolutely. Incidently It still amazes me how many ordinary user's are
    added to privileged groups, mad.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 29, 2003