Admin Account Locked

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JP, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. JP

    JP Guest

    Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    background to the problem:

    I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
    all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not have
    a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the equation.

    Now the actual problem:

    The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times and
    there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the PC
    under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the hard
    drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    required to take ownership.

    I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it is
    meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I go
    through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    insert a bootable CD then press F1.

    I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    too.

    Any ideas please?

    JP, Feb 5, 2006

  2. JP

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:39:10 GMT, JP wrote:

    > Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    > background to the problem:
    >
    > I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
    > all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    > users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not have
    > a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the equation.
    >
    > Now the actual problem:
    >
    > The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times and
    > there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the PC
    > under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    > something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the hard
    > drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    > either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    > owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    > required to take ownership.
    >
    > I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it is
    > meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I go
    > through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    > insert a bootable CD then press F1.
    >
    > I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    > too.
    >
    > Any ideas please?

    So what happened when you inserted the cd created fom the ISO image and
    pressed F1?
    --
    Steve
    ?wollof ot drah yllaer sdaerht sekam gnitsop-pot taht erawa uoy ereW

    Steve, Feb 5, 2006

  3. JP

    jda Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:39:10 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    > background to the problem:
    >
    > I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
    > all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    > users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not have
    > a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the equation.
    >
    > Now the actual problem:
    >
    > The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times and
    > there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the PC
    > under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    > something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the hard
    > drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    > either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    > owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    > required to take ownership.
    >
    > I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it is
    > meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I go
    > through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    > insert a bootable CD then press F1.
    >
    > I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    > too.
    >
    > Any ideas please?

    You might want to try the option described here
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#1 There is also a
    CD image available
    --
    Jakob

    jda, Feb 5, 2006
  4. JP

    JP Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:39:10 GMT, JP wrote:
    >
    >> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >> background to the problem:
    >>
    >> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up
    >> for
    >> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    >> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    >> have
    >> a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    >> equation.
    >>
    >> Now the actual problem:
    >>
    >> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >> and
    >> there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the
    >> PC
    >> under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    >> something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the
    >> hard
    >> drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    >> either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    >> owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    >> required to take ownership.
    >>
    >> I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it
    >> is
    >> meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I
    >> go
    >> through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    >> insert a bootable CD then press F1.
    >>
    >> I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please?

    > So what happened when you inserted the cd created fom the ISO image and
    > pressed F1?
    > --

    It says to insert a bootable CD then press F1. The CD is supposed to be
    bootable. If I put my orginal installation disk in, which is bootable, and
    press F1 it works fine.

    JP, Feb 5, 2006
  5. JP

    JP Guest

    "jda" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:39:10 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >> background to the problem:
    >>
    >> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up
    >> for
    >> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    >> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    >> have
    >> a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    >> equation.
    >>
    >> Now the actual problem:
    >>
    >> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >> and
    >> there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the
    >> PC
    >> under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    >> something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the
    >> hard
    >> drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    >> either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    >> owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    >> required to take ownership.
    >>
    >> I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it
    >> is
    >> meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I
    >> go
    >> through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    >> insert a bootable CD then press F1.
    >>
    >> I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please?

    > You might want to try the option described here
    > http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#1 There is also a
    > CD image available
    > --

    ............However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD. I went to a
    friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and that doesn't
    work. I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    JP, Feb 5, 2006
  6. JP

    jda Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:49:40 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > ...........However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD. I went to a
    > friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and that doesn't
    > work. I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    > suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    If you do not have Nero Burnrights
    http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Nero_BurnRights.html it does. But you cannot
    install that without admin rights so does not help you much

    --
    Jakob
    Speed up your Firefox:

    jda, Feb 5, 2006
  7. JP

    Zitty Guest

    "JP" <> wrote in message
    > Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    > background to the problem:
    >
    > I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
    > all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    > users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    > have a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    > equation.
    >
    > Now the actual problem:
    >
    > The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    > and there is no timer set to reset the counter.

    3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
    password attempts?

    Zitty, Feb 6, 2006
  8. JP

    jda Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty came up with this fine idea in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "JP" <> wrote in message
    >> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >> background to the problem:
    >>
    >> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
    >> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    >> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    >> have a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    >> equation.
    >>
    >> Now the actual problem:
    >>
    >> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >> and there is no timer set to reset the counter.

    > 3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
    > password attempts?

    wk3 does if it's set up that way
    --
    Jakob

    jda, Feb 6, 2006
  9. JP

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    JP <>, boiled in <oawFf.2494$>:

    > However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD.

    To each their own.

    > I went to a friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and
    > that doesn't work.

    Why did you go to a friends house to burn the cd image that you tried
    before and that does not work?

    > I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    > suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    Why would anyone want to try tomorrow evening when he gets back from
    work but you suspect you will get the same problem as before again, JP?

    Fred Tehbot, Feb 6, 2006
  10. JP

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    Fred Tehbot, Feb 6, 2006
  11. JP

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:47:10 GMT, JP wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:39:10 GMT, JP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >>> background to the problem:
    >>>
    >>> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up
    >>> for
    >>> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    >>> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    >>> have
    >>> a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    >>> equation.
    >>>
    >>> Now the actual problem:
    >>>
    >>> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >>> and
    >>> there is no timer set to reset the counter. I have my whole life on the
    >>> PC
    >>> under that account and so re-installing and losing all that data is not
    >>> something I want to do. Also there is less than 2GB free space on the
    >>> hard
    >>> drive so installing a parallel OS and recovering files isn't possible
    >>> either. I can't delete files and create more space because the files are
    >>> owned by the Admin account and none of the normal users have the access
    >>> required to take ownership.
    >>>
    >>> I also went to www.loginrecovery.com and used the ISO image there but it
    >>> is
    >>> meant to be a bootable image, but my Windows loads automatically. When I
    >>> go
    >>> through the Boot menu and force the system to boot from CD it asks me to
    >>> insert a bootable CD then press F1.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried using the recovery console but that needs an Admin password
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas please?

    >> So what happened when you inserted the cd created fom the ISO image and
    >> pressed F1?
    >> --

    > It says to insert a bootable CD then press F1. The CD is supposed to be
    > bootable. If I put my orginal installation disk in, which is bootable, and
    > press F1 it works fine.

    OK, when you burnt the cd did you burn it as an image or just burn the file
    you downloaded to disk?

    Steve, Feb 6, 2006
  12. JP

    JP Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:47:10 GMT, JP wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> So what happened when you inserted the cd created fom the ISO image and
    >>> pressed F1?
    >>> --

    >> It says to insert a bootable CD then press F1. The CD is supposed to be
    >> bootable. If I put my orginal installation disk in, which is bootable,
    >> and
    >> press F1 it works fine.

    > OK, when you burnt the cd did you burn it as an image or just burn the
    > file
    > you downloaded to disk?
    > --

    I opened Nero 6 Enterprise Edition. Selected the 'CD_ROM (ISO)' option and
    added the ISO file to the CD then burnt it. As far as I know that is how to
    burn an image on to a CD.

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  13. JP

    JP Guest

    "jda" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:49:40 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> ...........However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD. I went to
    >> friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and that doesn't
    >> work. I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    >> suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    > If you do not have Nero Burnrights
    > http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Nero_BurnRights.html it does. But you cannot
    > install that without admin rights so does not help you much
    >
    > --

    I can't install anything wothout Admin rights. Talk about Catch-22.

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  14. JP

    JP Guest

    "Fred Tehbot" <> wrote in message
    > JP <>, boiled in <oawFf.2494$>:
    >
    >> However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD.

    > To each their own.

    Yep, whatever that means.

    >> I went to a friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and
    >> that doesn't work.

    > Why did you go to a friends house to burn the cd image that you tried
    > before and that does not work?

    Did you even read the question that I was replying to? My Nero doesn't let
    me burn without Admin rights. So in order to get the ISO image that I
    mentioned earlier onto a CD I went to my friends house. When I got back and
    tried it it didn't work.

    >> I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    >> suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    > Why would anyone want to try tomorrow evening when he gets back from
    > work but you suspect you will get the same problem as before again, JP?

    Because no-one in here can give me a solution to the problem (so far) so I
    must resort to futile attempts on the off-chance that a miracle occurs and I
    can access my system and recover the 30 Gigs of stuff I have collected over
    the years and need to keep.

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  15. JP

    JP Guest

    "Zitty" <moc.dlrowltn@esuba> wrote in message

    > "JP" <> wrote in message
    >> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >> background to the problem:
    >>
    >> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up
    >> for all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of
    >> the users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does
    >> not have a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of
    >> the equation.
    >>
    >> Now the actual problem:
    >>
    >> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >> and there is no timer set to reset the counter.

    > 3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
    > password attempts?

    Windows is that stupid OS. Does that really surprise you?

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  16. JP

    JP Guest

    "jda" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty came up with this fine idea in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> "JP" <> wrote in message
    >>> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
    >>> background to the problem:
    >>>
    >>> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up
    >>> for
    >>> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
    >>> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
    >>> have a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
    >>> equation.
    >>>
    >>> Now the actual problem:
    >>>
    >>> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
    >>> and there is no timer set to reset the counter.

    >> 3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
    >> password attempts?

    > wk3 does if it's set up that way
    > --

    ....and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
    helped me in this situaution.

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  17. JP

    Gordon Guest

    JP wrote:
    > "jda" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty came up with this fine idea in
    >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> "JP" <> wrote in message

    >>> 3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
    >>> password attempts?

    >> wk3 does if it's set up that way
    >> --

    > ...and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
    > helped me in this situaution.

    I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run Windows
    2003 server at home, then the fact that you have "forgotten" the Admin
    password does NOT reflect very well on your supposed competence.

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2006
  18. JP

    JP Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > JP wrote:
    >> "jda" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty came up with this fine idea in
    >>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> wk3 does if it's set up that way
    >>> --

    >> ...and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
    >> helped me in this situaution.
    >>

    > I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run Windows
    > 2003 server at home, then the fact that you have "forgotten" the Admin
    > password does NOT reflect very well on your supposed competence.

    I did not forget the Admin password. The Admin password has been locked out
    for getting it wrong 3 times. This was not by me but another user (my mum in
    fact). She is not very technical and tried logging in with her password but
    forgot to change the Username from Admin to her name. She kept trying to log
    in and locked the Admin account. i still know what the password is so if
    there is a way to just unlock the Admin account then I could still log in. I
    don't necessarily need to reset the Admin passowrd.

    JP, Feb 6, 2006
  19. JP

    Bill Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:14:00 GMT, JP wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:47:10 GMT, JP wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> It says to insert a bootable CD then press F1. The CD is supposed to be
    >>> bootable. If I put my orginal installation disk in, which is bootable,
    >>> and
    >>> press F1 it works fine.

    >> OK, when you burnt the cd did you burn it as an image or just burn the
    >> file
    >> you downloaded to disk?
    >> --

    > I opened Nero 6 Enterprise Edition. Selected the 'CD_ROM (ISO)' option and
    > added the ISO file to the CD then burnt it. As far as I know that is how to
    > burn an image on to a CD.

    OK. I downloaded the "cd.iso" from the loginrecovery site and burned it to
    cd using Nero 5.5.10.9 (bundled version)

    File > burn image > browse to select image > burn

    If you simply burned the iso to cd you only have a copy of the iso on cd.

    The CD booted just fine on Windows2k and WindowsXP-Pro boxes. Suggest you
    download the cd.zip file again, unzip it to cd.iso and try again

    Bill, Feb 6, 2006
  20. JP

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:14:55 GMT, JP wrote:

    >"jda" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:49:40 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
    >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> ...........However Nero requires Admin privileges to burn a CD. I went to
    >>> friends house to burn the CD image that I tried before and that doesn't
    >>> work. I will try again tomorrow evening when he gets back from work but I
    >>> suspect I will get the same problem as before.

    >> If you do not have Nero Burnrights
    >> http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Nero_BurnRights.html it does. But you cannot
    >> install that without admin rights so does not help you much
    >>
    >> --

    >I can't install anything wothout Admin rights. Talk about Catch-22.

    Some links mentioned before in 24HSHD
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    http://www.sysinternals.com , maybe it's the commercial tools section
    which is http://www.winternals.com/ the emergency tools pack, with a
    password unlock app.
    http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak/EmergencyDownload/Default.aspx

    and some maybe not, mentioned..
    http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml

    For the future :)

    Always create a backup admin account.

    Install the OS twice, to different partitions, allows booting to 2nd OS
    for data recovery.

    To get data back for now.

    Disconnect current drive.
    Put another disk in, primary master to boot from.
    Install OS.
    Move current disk to slave, put it back in.
    Watch out for shifting drive letters.
    Take ownership of files on original disk, copy files.

    Me

    why?, Feb 6, 2006