Adjusting EIGRP metrics

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by thefunnel@aol.com, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to adjust the EIGRP metric of routes so a certain path is
    preferred:

    Router 1:

    router eigrp 1
    redistribute connected
    network 10.0.0.0
    default-metric 100000 200 255 1 1500
    no auto-summary

    Router 2:

    router eigrp 1
    network 10.0.0.0
    no auto-summary

    As I understand it the above config should adjust the delay metric
    (from 100 to 200) and thus make router 2 the preferred path (Router 2
    will have the default delay of 100).

    Router 3, also running EIGRP AS 1 is seeing the both routes as equal:

    Router 3:

    R3#show ip eigrp topology

    Codes: P - Passive, A - Active, U - Update, Q - Query, R - Reply,
    r - reply Status, s - sia Status

    P 10.10.10.0/24, 2 successors, FD is 30720
    via 192.168.1.1 (30720/28160), FastEthernet0/0
    via 192.168.2.1 (30720/28160), FastEthernet1/0

    Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

    Paul
    , Jun 26, 2008

  2. Scott Perry Guest

    Your example modified the default metrics in the global EIGRP configuration.
    Consider adjusting the EIGRP metrics within the interface configuration for
    each interface. The commands "bandwidth xxx" and "delay xxx" help determine
    the better path.
    Try leaving the "router eigrp 1" section pretty plain and put the
    "bandwidth" and "delay" commands within the interface configuration of each
    interface of each router. Use "show ip eigrp topology x.x.x.x x.x.x.x" to
    see more information on the metrics of learned routes.

    -----
    Scott Perry
    Indianapolis, IN
    -----

    Scott Perry, Jun 26, 2008

  3. headsetadapter.com wrote:

    >I would recommend you to keep all metrics numbers the same (as it was
    >already described here, if you change it, it should be changed in each and
    >every router in your network). If you need to send router over one link,
    >while keep other as a backup, just use the "bandwidth" command on the
    >interface you would make "less preferred".

    NO NO NO NO NO!

    If you want to adjust the metric USE DELAY. Bandwidth is used for other
    calculations as well.

    That is one of the BASICS of EIGRP!
    --
    Paul Matthews CCIE #4063
    Please post questions to the NG, NOT by e-mail.
    Paul Matthews, Sep 6, 2008