    adhoc mode on each system or do I need to use an access point to do this?

    Thanks
    Ramesh

    Ramesh, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.

    --
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Eric Cross [MVP], Aug 18, 2006

  3. Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP involved?
    While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it for ages on 2, I
    am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than TWO machines. Eg, it
    equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I don't profess to know
    everything so the above is my belief but I sure am willing to be proven
    wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as that would be VERY useful info
    for me in the future.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Ramesh

    Lem Guest

    Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
    > Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP involved?
    > While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it for ages on 2, I
    > am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than TWO machines. Eg, it
    > equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I don't profess to know
    > everything so the above is my belief but I sure am willing to be proven
    > wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as that would be VERY useful info
    > for me in the future.
    >
    > "Eric Cross [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Eric Cross
    >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>

    >> "Ramesh" <ramesh2020@gmaildotcom> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> i understand that adhoc mode can be used for wireless adapters to talk to
    >>> each other without access point.
    >>>
    >>> I need to network 3 systems with wireless adapters. Can I do this using
    >>> adhoc mode on each system or do I need to use an access point to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ramesh

    I've never done it myself, but see the last two sentences of Barb
    Bowman's 4/8/02 MS Expert Zone column on ad hoc networking, which
    certainly implies that more than 2 computers can participate in an ad
    hoc network:
    <quote>
    If you're sitting around a conference table with a group of colleagues
    and find that everyone is in desperate need of a Power Point
    presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of the room,
    setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
    allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
    network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with
    appropriate permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never
    have to wait again to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN
    to receive copies of urgently needed documents.
    </quote>

    Lem, Aug 21, 2006
  5. Ramesh

    Lem Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
    >> Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP
    >> involved? While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it
    >> for ages on 2, I am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than
    >> TWO machines. Eg, it equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I
    >> don't profess to know everything so the above is my belief but I sure
    >> am willing to be proven wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as
    >> that would be VERY useful info for me in the future.
    >>
    >> "Eric Cross [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Eric Cross
    >>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh" <ramesh2020@gmaildotcom> wrote in message

    > I've never done it myself, but see the last two sentences of Barb
    > Bowman's 4/8/02 MS Expert Zone column on ad hoc networking, which
    > certainly implies that more than 2 computers can participate in an ad
    > hoc network:
    > <quote>
    > If you're sitting around a conference table with a group of colleagues
    > and find that everyone is in desperate need of a Power Point
    > presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of the room,
    > setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
    > allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
    > network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with
    > appropriate permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never
    > have to wait again to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN
    > to receive copies of urgently needed documents.
    > </quote>

    Sorry, forgot the link

    Lem, Aug 21, 2006
  6. An ad-hoc network can consist of up to 9 wireless clients.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

    Eric Cross [MVP], Aug 21, 2006
  7. "Eric Cross [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > An ad-hoc network can consist of up to 9 wireless clients.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

    Have you ever set up an ad-hoc using more than 2 wi-fi "clients"? The
    article you showed didn't say "how to" but to me it would seem easier to do
    it by assigning IPs at each machine and obviously the same SSID on each
    machine. If you have done that, how does it work? Eg, is it more reliable
    than more than 2 clients using an AP or is it less reliable?

    Diamontina Cocktail, Aug 31, 2006