Adelphia Powerlink - What you should know

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ROC, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. ROC

    ROC Guest

    Thinking about moving to broadband? Considering Adelphia?

    Do a web-search (google, alta vista, whatever) for "Adelphia powerlink problems" or "adelphia sucks" etc. and see how many hits you get.

    Go to the Better Business Bureau website at http://www.bbb.org/ and search for Adelphia.

    In case you didn't already know - They've filed a chapter XI (bankruptcy- but are allowed to remain in business under court supervision..!?...errmm...ok) which you can also read about at the BBB website.

    If you like usenet (newsgroups) then you're out of luck with Adelphias broadband subscription offerings. Usenet access is listed as one of the features in the broadband package (along with email and web, etc..) yet Adelphia's news servers have been losing posts for YEARS and this is well documented (as google searches will show). But when the problem is brought to the attn of tech support, they (as if this is brand new info to them) reply with some rather technical requests such as "We will need a list of all the groups where you've seen corrupt data and the message ID #'s of the corresponding missing posts. Also we will need your IP configuration info..." which they want you to retrieve via the run box (dos prompt, then manually run a dos prog that reports your IP config status. yadda yadda) none of this information they ask for has anything to do with the fact that their news servers (nationwide) have consistently sucked with completion rates of less than 50% for years. Ultimately, when backed into a corner, a customer service rep will tell you that you're SOL because Usenet is free of charge with your Adelphia subscription. That must have been part of the fine print when I subscribed....or the invisible print.. something.

    In fact, being told that you're SOL, and that you can just go do business elswhere is common practice (even on the cable tv side of things, which isnt doing any better) because they know that they are:

    A: Monopolizing the catv access in your area

    B: monopolizing the broadband access in your area

    So nyah! Go ahead and buy satellite service, and satellite broadband... if you've got the money.

    Back to the fine print. Have a look at their service agreement regarding their definition of "your privacy" and "your personal information". This is available via their powerlink web site.

    Basically they say your internet activities can only be obtained by an outside agency via a court order...but .. wait now, remember they are conducting business under court supervision. Perhaps someone with legal-system knowledge can comment on this. Also they reserve the right to give your personal information to any Adelphia employee or any employee of any AFFILIATED company. Huh? Provided they SAY that they need the info for one of the reasons specified in the service agreement. Wow.

    When I have more time I'll post a few email threads between myself and Tech Support and Customer Care depts.

    Until then the Better Business Bureau info should keep you busy.
    ROC, Jan 14, 2004

  2. ROC

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:54:27 GMT, "ROC" <> wrote:

    >Thinking about moving to broadband? Considering Adelphia?
    >
    >Do a web-search (google, alta vista, whatever) for "Adelphia powerlink problems" or "adelphia sucks" etc. and see how many hits you get.
    >
    >Go to the Better Business Bureau website at http://www.bbb.org/ and search for Adelphia.
    >
    >In case you didn't already know - They've filed a chapter XI (bankruptcy- but are allowed to remain in business under court supervision..!?...errmm...ok) which you can also read about at the BBB website.
    >
    >If you like usenet (newsgroups) then you're out of luck with Adelphias broadband subscription offerings. Usenet access is listed as one of the features in the broadband package (along with email and web, etc..) yet Adelphia's news servers have been losing posts for YEARS and this is well documented (as google searches will show). But when the problem is brought to the attn of tech support, they (as if this is brand new info to them) reply with some rather technical requests such as "We will need a list of all the groups where you've seen corrupt data and the message ID #'s of the corresponding missing posts. Also we will need your IP configuration info..." which they want you to retrieve via the run box (dos prompt, then manually run a dos prog that reports your IP config status. yadda yadda) none of this information they ask for has anything to do with the fact that their news servers (nationwide) have consistently sucked with completion rates of less than 50% for years.
    >Ultimately, when backed into a corner, a customer service rep will tell you that you're SOL because Usenet is free of charge with your Adelphia subscription. That must have been part of the fine print when I subscribed....or the invisible print.. something.
    >
    >In fact, being told that you're SOL, and that you can just go do business elswhere is common practice (even on the cable tv side of things, which isnt doing any better) because they know that they are:
    >
    >A: Monopolizing the catv access in your area

    www.dishnetwork.com - I dropped Adelphia cable over two years ago for
    DishNetwork and have never once considered going back. In fact, there
    would be some small arms fire if someone were to come by and tell me
    that I had to go back to cable.

    >B: monopolizing the broadband access in your area

    We had DSL here before Adelphia came into the picture. Adelphia just
    recently started offering Internet here, and I was actually
    considering going with them, but your post may have persuaded me
    otherwise.

    >So nyah! Go ahead and buy satellite service, and satellite broadband... if you've got the money.
    >
    >Back to the fine print. Have a look at their service agreement regarding their definition of "your privacy" and "your personal information". This is available via their powerlink web site.
    >
    > Basically they say your internet activities can only be obtained by an outside agency via a court order...but .. wait now, remember they are conducting business under court supervision. Perhaps someone with legal-system knowledge can comment on this. Also they reserve the right to give your personal information to any Adelphia employee or any employee of any AFFILIATED company. Huh? Provided they SAY that they need the info for one of the reasons specified in the service agreement. Wow.
    >

    >When I have more time I'll post a few email threads between myself and Tech Support and Customer Care depts.

    I'd like to see those.

    Harrison, Jan 14, 2004

  3. ROC

    ICee Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:54:27 GMT, "ROC" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Thinking about moving to broadband? Considering Adelphia?
    >>
    >> Do a web-search (google, alta vista, whatever) for "Adelphia
    >> powerlink problems" or "adelphia sucks" etc. and see how many hits
    >> you get.
    >>
    >> Go to the Better Business Bureau website at http://www.bbb.org/ and
    >> search for Adelphia.
    >>
    >> In case you didn't already know - They've filed a chapter XI
    >> (bankruptcy- but are allowed to remain in business under court
    >> supervision..!?...errmm...ok) which you can also read about at the
    >> BBB website.
    >>
    >> If you like usenet (newsgroups) then you're out of luck with
    >> Adelphias broadband subscription offerings. Usenet access is listed
    >> as one of the features in the broadband package (along with email
    >> and web, etc..) yet Adelphia's news servers have been losing posts
    >> for YEARS and this is well documented (as google searches will
    >> show). But when the problem is brought to the attn of tech support,
    >> they (as if this is brand new info to them) reply with some rather
    >> technical requests such as "We will need a list of all the groups
    >> where you've seen corrupt data and the message ID #'s of the
    >> corresponding missing posts. Also we will need your IP configuration
    >> info..." which they want you to retrieve via the run box (dos
    >> prompt, then manually run a dos prog that reports your IP config
    >> status. yadda yadda) none of this information they ask for has
    >> anything to do with the fact that their news servers (nationwide)
    >> have consistently sucked with completion rates of less than 50% for
    >> years. Ultimately, when backed into a corner, a customer service rep
    >> will tell you that you're SOL because Usenet is free of charge with
    >> your Adelphia subscription. That must have been part of the fine
    >> print when I subscribed....or the invisible print.. something.
    >>
    >> In fact, being told that you're SOL, and that you can just go do
    >> business elswhere is common practice (even on the cable tv side of
    >> things, which isnt doing any better) because they know that they
    >> are:
    >>
    >> A: Monopolizing the catv access in your area

    > www.dishnetwork.com - I dropped Adelphia cable over two years ago for
    > DishNetwork and have never once considered going back. In fact, there
    > would be some small arms fire if someone were to come by and tell me
    > that I had to go back to cable.
    >>
    >> B: monopolizing the broadband access in your area

    > We had DSL here before Adelphia came into the picture. Adelphia just
    > recently started offering Internet here, and I was actually
    > considering going with them, but your post may have persuaded me
    > otherwise.

    Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is great here
    for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but support for NG's is
    nonexistent. Many times my posts will either not go through, or they
    get posted multiple times. Internet access has been fine for about 6
    months, but for 6 months beforehand, they couldn't keep internet access
    up for more than a few hours. I think they just got lucky the last 6
    months. They also increase prices nearly every month.

    >> So nyah! Go ahead and buy satellite service, and satellite
    >> broadband... if you've got the money.
    >>
    >> Back to the fine print. Have a look at their service agreement
    >> regarding their definition of "your privacy" and "your personal
    >> information". This is available via their powerlink web site.
    >>
    >> Basically they say your internet activities can only be obtained by
    >> an outside agency via a court order...but .. wait now, remember
    >> they are conducting business under court supervision. Perhaps
    >> someone with legal-system knowledge can comment on this. Also they
    >> reserve the right to give your personal information to any Adelphia
    >> employee or any employee of any AFFILIATED company. Huh? Provided
    >> they SAY that they need the info for one of the reasons specified in
    >> the service agreement. Wow.
    >>

    >> When I have more time I'll post a few email threads between myself
    >> and Tech Support and Customer Care depts.

    > I'd like to see those.
    >>
    >> Until then the Better Business Bureau info should keep you busy.

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  4. ROC

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:03:39 GMT, "ICee" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is great here
    >for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but support for NG's is
    >nonexistent. Many times my posts will either not go through, or they
    >get posted multiple times. Internet access has been fine for about 6
    >months, but for 6 months beforehand, they couldn't keep internet access
    >up for more than a few hours. I think they just got lucky the last 6
    >months. They also increase prices nearly every month.

    Thanks for the additional info.
    I use Supernews, so I assume that as long as I had the connection I'd
    be Ok with Usenet. I gave up on ISP's news services a long time ago.

    Adelphia is offering "up to 3 mbps" here for $26.95/month for the
    first year, no contract, and a free (after rebate) modem.
    I've already got the LAN side of things setup with router, WAP, etc.

    I think I'll wait and see what some of my clients say about Adelphia
    before going further. I set up a router for one yesterday and they
    were only getting around 475 kbps down on a few speed tests I ran.
    That was mid-afternoon, but before school was out. I can only imagine
    how bad it must have been after 4 pm.

    Thanks again.
    Harrison, Jan 14, 2004
  5. ROC

    ICee Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:03:39 GMT, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is great
    >> here for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but support for
    >> NG's is nonexistent. Many times my posts will either not go
    >> through, or they get posted multiple times. Internet access has
    >> been fine for about 6 months, but for 6 months beforehand, they
    >> couldn't keep internet access up for more than a few hours. I think
    >> they just got lucky the last 6 months. They also increase prices
    >> nearly every month.

    > Thanks for the additional info.
    > I use Supernews, so I assume that as long as I had the connection I'd
    > be Ok with Usenet. I gave up on ISP's news services a long time ago.
    >
    > Adelphia is offering "up to 3 mbps" here for $26.95/month for the
    > first year, no contract, and a free (after rebate) modem.
    > I've already got the LAN side of things setup with router, WAP, etc.
    >
    > I think I'll wait and see what some of my clients say about Adelphia
    > before going further. I set up a router for one yesterday and they
    > were only getting around 475 kbps down on a few speed tests I ran.
    > That was mid-afternoon, but before school was out. I can only imagine
    > how bad it must have been after 4 pm.
    >

    > Thanks again.

    NP. I have to admit that the speed has always been good here (when it's
    working).
    That's not a bad deal. Maybe I'll drop the service and then sign up as
    a new customer to get that decent price. :)
    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  6. "ICee" <> wrote in

    > Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is
    > great here for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but
    > support for NG's is nonexistent. Many times my posts will either
    > not go through, or they get posted multiple times.

    Yes. Adelphia newsgroups never have been very good.... but according to
    posts in the Adelphia newsgroups, "Real Soon Now" Adelphia will
    contract with Giganews to provide newsgroup service. Word is that the
    first 5 GB/month will be free with additional bandwidth obtainable
    directly from Giganews. I can hardly wait.

    FWIW,
    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Jan 14, 2004
  7. ROC

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:28:21 GMT, John Wunderlich
    <> wrote:

    >"ICee" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is
    >> great here for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but
    >> support for NG's is nonexistent. Many times my posts will either
    >> not go through, or they get posted multiple times.

    >Yes. Adelphia newsgroups never have been very good.... but according to
    >posts in the Adelphia newsgroups, "Real Soon Now" Adelphia will
    >contract with Giganews to provide newsgroup service. Word is that the
    >first 5 GB/month will be free with additional bandwidth obtainable
    >directly from Giganews. I can hardly wait.
    >
    >FWIW,
    >-- John

    That would move them to the head of the class!
    Harrison, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Otoh, if Adelphia is the only broadband service available, one goes with it.
    A hell of a lot better than a dial-up connection that runs at 31 Kbps.

    Cathy

    ("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 14, 2004
  9. "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is great here
    > for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but support for NG's is
    > nonexistent. Many times my posts will either not go through, or they
    > get posted multiple times. Internet access has been fine for about 6
    > months, but for 6 months beforehand, they couldn't keep internet access
    > up for more than a few hours. I think they just got lucky the last 6
    > months. They also increase prices nearly every month.

    I use Adelphia's news server only for binaries. Otherwise I post through a
    free German news server. It's seldom 'down', never drops posts, & operates
    in real time.

    Otoh, I got a mail from Adelphia recently, saying that they're going to
    upgrade their ng service. We'll see...

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 14, 2004
  10. ROC

    ICee Guest

    Cathy Friedmann wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is great
    >> here for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but support for
    >> NG's is nonexistent. Many times my posts will either not go
    >> through, or they get posted multiple times. Internet access has
    >> been fine for about 6 months, but for 6 months beforehand, they
    >> couldn't keep internet access up for more than a few hours. I think
    >> they just got lucky the last 6 months. They also increase prices
    >> nearly every month.

    > I use Adelphia's news server only for binaries. Otherwise I post
    > through a free German news server. It's seldom 'down', never drops
    > posts, & operates in real time.
    >
    > Otoh, I got a mail from Adelphia recently, saying that they're going
    > to upgrade their ng service. We'll see...
    >
    > Cathy

    Thanks for the info. That's two people here that mentioned Adelphia is
    going to upgrade the news groups service and it was posted on the
    adelphia NG, so maybe I *can* hold my breath. :)

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  11. ROC

    Boomer Guest

    ICee, <> wrote:

    > Cathy Friedmann wrote:
    >> "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Everything he says is true, Harrison. Adelphia Power Link is
    >>> great here for the internet (average 2.5mbps download), but
    >>> support for NG's is nonexistent. Many times my posts will
    >>> either not go through, or they get posted multiple times.
    >>> Internet access has been fine for about 6 months, but for 6
    >>> months beforehand, they couldn't keep internet access up for
    >>> more than a few hours. I think they just got lucky the last 6
    >>> months. They also increase prices nearly every month.

    >> I use Adelphia's news server only for binaries. Otherwise I
    >> post through a free German news server. It's seldom 'down',
    >> never drops posts, & operates in real time.
    >>
    >> Otoh, I got a mail from Adelphia recently, saying that they're
    >> going to upgrade their ng service. We'll see...
    >>
    >> Cathy

    > Thanks for the info. That's two people here that mentioned
    > Adelphia is going to upgrade the news groups service and it was
    > posted on the adelphia NG, so maybe I *can* hold my breath. :)

    IIRC, it was mentioned at alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    also. :)
    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  12. ROC

    ICee Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > ICee, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Cathy Friedmann wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> I use Adelphia's news server only for binaries. Otherwise I
    >>> post through a free German news server. It's seldom 'down',
    >>> never drops posts, & operates in real time.
    >>>
    >>> Otoh, I got a mail from Adelphia recently, saying that they're
    >>> going to upgrade their ng service. We'll see...
    >>>
    >>> Cathy

    >> Thanks for the info. That's two people here that mentioned
    >> Adelphia is going to upgrade the news groups service and it was
    >> posted on the adelphia NG, so maybe I *can* hold my breath. :)
    >>

    > IIRC, it was mentioned at alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    > also. :)

    Thanks, Boomer. We (TINW) shall see.....

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  13. "ICee" <> wrote in

    >> I use Adelphia's news server only for binaries. Otherwise I post
    >> through a free German news server. It's seldom 'down', never
    >> drops posts, & operates in real time.
    >>
    >> Otoh, I got a mail from Adelphia recently, saying that they're
    >> going to upgrade their ng service. We'll see...
    >>
    >> Cathy

    > Thanks for the info. That's two people here that mentioned
    > Adelphia is going to upgrade the news groups service and it was
    > posted on the adelphia NG, so maybe I *can* hold my breath. :)

    It's mentioned in the Adelphia newsletter at:
    <http://blast.spk01.com/content/adelphia/Newsletter1203/index_1222.htm>
    ....by the end of January...

    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Jan 16, 2004
  14. It was on Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:54:27 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that ROC wrote:

    > Thinking about moving to broadband? Considering Adelphia?

    <snip>

    Hmm..if you're *so* unhappy with Adelphia, how come you're still using
    them?
    Adelphia Cable Communications ADELPHIA-CABLE-4 68.168.0.0 - 68.171.255.255

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    Using linux @ home since 1998
    William Poaster, Jan 16, 2004