    Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
    NG postings using this method alone.
    TIA

    ripper, Sep 28, 2003

  2. ripper

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ripper said:

    > If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
    > need to do?
    > Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
    > the email address box.

    Yes.

    > Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
    > NG postings using this method alone.

    How would they be able to do that?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 28, 2003

  3. ripper

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, but do it correctly.

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:35:25 +0100, in
    <RoJdb.267$9.net>
    ripper scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 29, 2003
  4. ripper

    ripper Guest

    By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your true
    email address.
    I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically extract
    the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their mass
    mailing lists.

    ripper, Sep 29, 2003
  5. ripper

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ripper said:

    > By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your true
    > email address.

    If that be true, I would imagine that it would be the biggest security breach
    possible.
    DNS is for domain names, and doesn't locate e-mail addresses other than those
    associated to the domain and declared to the registrar, ie admin@ etc.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  6. ripper

    lsj7 Guest

    ripper wrote:
    > If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what
    > do I need to do?
    > Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my
    > details in the email address box.
    > Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address
    > from NG postings using this method alone.
    > TIA

    what's your point?

    From: "ripper" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Address Munging with Outlook Express?
    Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:35:25 +0100

    --
    lsj7

    "Germany is sheerly swallowed up by the merchants and companies, by
    means of usury. Usury lives all secure in Germany, and rages as if he
    were God and lord in all lands; no one may oppose him."
    _____________Martin Luther

    lsj7, Sep 29, 2003
  7. ripper

    Boomer Guest

    ripper wrote:

    > By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will
    > reveal your true email address.

    Whats my true address?

    Boomer, Sep 29, 2003
  8. ripper

    ripper Guest

    I just tried it. I put a fake email address into DNS search and it found
    nothing. I then put the message source into the same and it came up with my
    real email address.

    ripper, Sep 29, 2003
  9. ripper

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ripper said:

    > I just tried it. I put a fake email address into DNS search and it found
    > nothing. I then put the message source into the same and it came up with my
    > real email address.

    Blimey, you did a search using your real email address and came up with your
    real email address, where a search using a fake address came up with nothing.
    Brilliant.
    But pray tell, how *does* a DNS Whois search manage to find an address in a
    newsgroup post, when DNS Whois searches are for domain names?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  10. ripper

    Richard Guest

    ripper wrote:

    > By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal
    > your true
    > email address.

    Can't be done that way. They may be able to validate a domain name, but not
    a valid workable full addy.
    There are, however, other methods to do that.
    Which is why AOL sucks and so does hotmail.

    > I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically
    > extract
    > the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their
    > mass
    > mailing lists.

    Yes. It's called a "sniffer".
    Many times they just harvest what they can find. An automated program sends
    out e-mail without any verification.
    If it bounces, they don't care, their return mail is fake too.

    Richard, Sep 29, 2003
  11. ripper

    Richard Guest

    ripper wrote:

    > If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do
    > need to do?
    > Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my
    > details in
    > the email address box.
    > Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address
    > from
    > NG postings using this method alone.
    > TIA

    Do not use valid domain names. Use anything but the valid endings after the
    DOT.
    this-is-fake_at_fake.mail.

    if you want someone to mail you from a newsgroup, use the first method.
    _at_ does not create the link which sniffers rely on.

    Richard, Sep 29, 2003
  12. ripper

    Richard Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > ripper wrote:
    >> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what
    >> do I need to do?
    >> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my
    >> details in the email address box.
    >> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address
    >> from NG postings using this method alone.
    >> TIA

    > what's your point?

    No need to post the entire header. patch.com is a valid domain name.
    even though the use of subdomains in thwarting spam may work, it's still not
    wise to use valid domain names.
    Leaving off the dot com would be better.

    Richard, Sep 29, 2003
  13. ripper

    lsj7 Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > ripper wrote:
    >
    >> By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will
    >> reveal your true email address.

    > Whats my true address?

    Whoze yo' Daddy? lol

    lsj7, Sep 29, 2003
  14. ripper

    lsj7 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > lsj7 wrote:
    >
    > > ripper wrote:
    >>> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what
    >>> do I need to do?
    >>> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my
    >>> details in the email address box.
    >>> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email
    >>> address from NG postings using this method alone.
    >>> TIA

    >> what's your point?

    > No need to post the entire header. patch.com is a valid domain name.
    > even though the use of subdomains in thwarting spam may work, it's
    > still not wise to use valid domain names.
    > Leaving off the dot com would be better.

    I assumed he had already munged before he asked about it...that was my
    point.or did I miss something??? I understand your point on not using
    valid DN's though.

    lsj7, Sep 29, 2003