    davo Guest

    How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks
    davo, Aug 18, 2006

  2. davo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:00:54 -0700, "davo" <>
    wrote:

    >How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    >additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    Open up your computer. Find the memory. Take it out, then put it back
    in. If you can do that, you'll be fine.

    It's different from person to person. Some people may not be confident
    in doing it, others would.
    Evan Platt, Aug 18, 2006

  3. davo

    Martik Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message
    > How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    > additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    2/10, < 5 minute job!

    Go to the Dell site and it will show you exactly how to open the case,
    install the ram. Do not force anything! I assume you know the correct ram to
    purchase.
    Martik, Aug 18, 2006
  4. davo

    davo Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > "davo" <> wrote in message
    >> How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    >> additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    > 2/10, < 5 minute job!
    >
    > Go to the Dell site and it will show you exactly how to open the case,
    > install the ram. Do not force anything! I assume you know the correct ram
    > to purchase.

    This is what was suggested to me: Corsair ValueSelect 512 mb 184-Pin DDR
    SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System memory

    Of course, this means nothing to me, but the person who suggested it is
    knowledgeable. One thing in the Dell manual bothers me: "DDR memory
    modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory sizes" I have 256
    MB of RAM now, want to get 512--so do I add 512 to 256 or remove 256 &
    install 512 only?

    davo, Aug 18, 2006
  5. davo

    Martik Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message

    > "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "davo" <> wrote in message
    >>> How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    >>> additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    >> 2/10, < 5 minute job!
    >>
    >> Go to the Dell site and it will show you exactly how to open the case,
    >> install the ram. Do not force anything! I assume you know the correct ram
    >> to purchase.

    > This is what was suggested to me: Corsair ValueSelect 512 mb 184-Pin DDR
    > SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System memory
    >
    > Of course, this means nothing to me, but the person who suggested it is
    > knowledgeable. One thing in the Dell manual bothers me: "DDR memory
    > modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory sizes" I have
    > 256 MB of RAM now, want to get 512--so do I add 512 to 256 or remove 256 &
    > install 512 only?

    That memory should be ok as would most name brands PC2700 or PC3200. Try to
    purchase where you can exchange it.

    The manual says there will be a "slight reduction in performance." if you
    mismatch sizes, whether it would be significant, I doubt it. Why not just
    buy another 256mb? Or buy the 512 and test it both ways (256+512 and 512
    only) with Sisoft sandra memory benchmark.

    "DDR memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size.
    This means that if you purchased your computer with 128 MB of memory
    installed and you want to add another 128 MB of memory, you should install
    it in the appropriate connector. If the DDR memory modules are not installed
    in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight
    reduction in performance."
    Martik, Aug 18, 2006
  6. davo

    JAMES Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > "davo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "davo" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    > My Neighbour has a Dell desktop, when it went wrong she called me, I ended
    > up calling Dell support , spoke to a lovely lady in Thailand ( I Think)She
    > had me open the case and told me what to look for one step at a time, my
    > heart was in my mouth during all of this , as I am about as good as
    > useless when it comes to computers , so if I can do it , you can too, just
    > take your time, if once you open the case you feel that it is beyond you ,
    > take it to the store and have it done there

    Jim
    JAMES, Aug 18, 2006
  7. davo

    davo Guest

    "JAMES" <> wrote in message

    > "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "davo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Martik" <> wrote in message

    >> My Neighbour has a Dell desktop, when it went wrong she called me, I
    >> ended up calling Dell support , spoke to a lovely lady in Thailand ( I
    >> Think)She had me open the case and told me what to look for one step at a
    >> time, my heart was in my mouth during all of this , as I am about as good
    >> as useless when it comes to computers , so if I can do it , you can too,
    >> just take your time, if once you open the case you feel that it is beyond
    >> you , take it to the store and have it done there

    > Jim

    Thanks, Jim, that's encouraging. I'm really new to the computer, self
    taught, and am afraid of *everything*--there are still keys that I've never
    touched! But thanks, I never thought to have Dell talk me through it

    davo, Aug 18, 2006
  8. davo

    Margolotta Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:12:06 +0100, Martik wrote
    (in article <qapFg.10213$Nz6.641@edtnps82>):

    > "davo" <> wrote in message
    >> How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    >> additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    > 2/10, < 5 minute job!

    Yes, upgrading PCs is *SO* long-winded! Took me a minute to install an
    additional 2GB in my Mac. So simple that a brain-dead baboon could do it;
    unlatch door, remove dust cover, remove fan assembly, slot in RAM. No cables
    to get in the way, nothing to accidentally knock and disconnect - wonderful!

    It's often a hit-and-miss process with PCs, I've found.
    Margolotta, Aug 18, 2006
  9. davo

    Dan Evans Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message
    > How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    > additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    Rather than use Windows, it would be easier to use a screwdriver to remove
    the memory slot cover, and slide in then push down on the memory card with
    your fingers.

    All Windows will do is produce a paperclip that says "it looks like you are
    doing something - would you like me to finish it", then go and do something
    else. Crash, most likely.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 18, 2006
  10. davo

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, upgrading PCs is *SO* long-winded! Took me a minute to install an
    > additional 2GB in my Mac. So simple that a brain-dead baboon could do it;

    Given you're still posting, it would be safe to assume that yes, a brain
    dead baboon *did* indeed manage it.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 18, 2006
  11. davo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Margolotta.

    In <news:-media.phx> you
    wrote:

    > Yes, upgrading PCs is *SO* long-winded! Took me a minute to install an
    > additional 2GB in my Mac. So simple that a brain-dead baboon could do it;
    > unlatch door, remove dust cover, remove fan assembly, slot in RAM. No cables
    > to get in the way, nothing to accidentally knock and disconnect - wonderful!

    Just think, it used to take less than a second to install an extra 16K
    into my VIC-20 ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Aug 18, 2006
  12. davo <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to
    > install additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    it might be easy/hard for a technically-challenged person to install
    additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2

    ask around to see if anyone knows

    hope that helps
    Dirty Sanchez, Aug 19, 2006
  13. davo

    old man Guest

    To check memory required simply visit Corsair web site and use their
    configerator
    Personally, from experience I'd be wary of Value Select

    old man, Aug 19, 2006
  14. davo

    Martik Guest

    > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:12:06 +0100, Martik wrote
    > (in article <qapFg.10213$Nz6.641@edtnps82>):
    >

    >> "davo" <> wrote in message
    >>> How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    >>> additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    >> 2/10, < 5 minute job!

    > Yes, upgrading PCs is *SO* long-winded! Took me a minute to install an
    > additional 2GB in my Mac. So simple that a brain-dead baboon could do it;
    > unlatch door, remove dust cover, remove fan assembly, slot in RAM. No
    > cables
    > to get in the way, nothing to accidentally knock and disconnect -
    > wonderful!
    >
    > It's often a hit-and-miss process with PCs, I've found.

    Try adding ram to a mini-mac!
    Martik, Aug 19, 2006
  15. davo

    Gary Guest

    davo wrote:
    > How easy/hard would it be for a technically-challenged person to install
    > additional RAM on a Dell 3000 using Win XP Home SP 2? thanks

    Open the computer and look at it. If you have 2 ram modules and 2
    additional empty slots, then you need to get either 2 128 meg modules or
    2 256 meg modules. That would give you an additional 256 or 512 megs of
    ram. You should be able to have 2 modules of one size and 2 modules of
    another size, as long as they are in pairs of equal capacity and speed.
    Gary, Aug 20, 2006