Additional Information on E-mail Address Munging

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. me

    me Guest

    Can anyonE verify this information.
    I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted lines)
    line.
    Can anyone verify if this information (response - return e-mail) is correct?
    Or if it is SPAM?
    I just wonder why Newsgroups are even available in Outlook Express (if
    they are not save) and especially when my e-mail address has been MUNGED.
    It seems that to use a non-Microsoft e-mail program separate from
    newsreader to access Newsgroups would be DIFFICULT and COMPLEX. In Outlook
    Express there are thousands of Newsgroups available right from my
    fingertips.

    THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE!!!
    Jeez, why is this always so hard to make people understand?

    You MUST NOT, for ANY REASON, EVER use Outlook or Outlook Express.
    Period. Just don't be an idiot sucker -- remove all account info from
    those tragically ______ programs, ______!

    The problem you are having is because that program tries to do two
    different tasks. If you used a mail program separate from the
    newsreader, you'd have no question.
    If you use ANYTHING that isn't Microsoft, you'll be in better shape and
    won't be risking your computer and all your friends'.

    In reference to below my question is:
    When I change my address in OE News accounts will that change my
    regular OE e-mail address so people I normally write to (outside of News
    Groups)
    will not be able to write me?
    THANKS AGAIN!!!

    *****ORIGINAL MESSAGE***** in brackets [[[ ]]]
    [[[Could some of you KIND folk (including MVP's) be so kind as to
    instruct, share and tell me how to SUCCESSFULLY MUNGE my e-mail address in
    Outlook Express 6?
    THANKS A MILLION for your consideration and consideration!!!!!]]]

    me, Mar 7, 2004

  2. me

    Linda Guest

    I'm in that 'idiot sucker' group. I've been using Outlook Express for years
    without any problems.
    Perhaps if the respondent learnt to read help files & how to use search
    engines, maybe he/she wouldn't have so many problems.

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyonE verify this information.
    > I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted

    lines)

    dotted

    Linda, Mar 7, 2004

  3. me

    anthonyberet Guest

    me wrote:
    > Can anyonE verify this information.
    > I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted
    > lines) in response to my original question which is located below the
    > second dotted line.
    > Can anyone verify if this information (response - return e-mail) is
    > correct? Or if it is SPAM?

    No it isn't spam, because you solicited it (sort of).
    Spam is unsolicited messaging which attempts to make money out of you.

    As for whether it is "correct" or not, that is a matter of opinion.
    Certainly it is true that you can have a very rewarding internet experience
    without using any Microsoft products at all (although you do have to
    research it a bit).

    > I just wonder why Newsgroups are even available in Outlook
    > Express (if they are not save) and especially when my e-mail address
    > has been MUNGED. It seems that to use a non-Microsoft e-mail
    > program separate from newsreader to access Newsgroups would be
    > DIFFICULT and COMPLEX. In Outlook Express there are thousands of
    > Newsgroups available right from my fingertips.

    Outlook express is a combined email and Usenet client.
    These functions are separate. -your munging your email address would be a
    disaster if you did it in the email settings, but is sadly necessary in your
    newsgroup settings.
    It wont affect the newsgroups you have available, as this selection is a
    feature of your Usenet service, and not your client.

    There are certainly better examples of both email clients and Usenet clients
    available for free on the net. Have a hunt around. -setting them up is not
    difficult and complex -its pretty easy.

    (I still use OE with OU quotefix, -it isn't completely useless :)

    anthonyberet, Mar 7, 2004
  4. me

    anthonyberet Guest

    me wrote:
    > Can anyonE verify this information.
    > I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted
    > lines) in response to my original question which is located below the
    > second dotted line.

    <snip>

    Incidentally, it's very rude to post an email to Usenet without permission
    from the sender.

    anthonyberet, Mar 7, 2004
  5. me

    trout Guest

    me wrote:

    > Can anyonE verify this information.
    > I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted
    > lines) in response to my original question which is located below the
    > second dotted line.
    > Can anyone verify if this information (response - return e-mail) is
    > correct? Or if it is SPAM?
    > I just wonder why Newsgroups are even available in Outlook
    > Express (if they are not save) and especially when my e-mail address
    > has been MUNGED. It seems that to use a non-Microsoft e-mail
    > program separate from newsreader to access Newsgroups would be
    > DIFFICULT and COMPLEX. In Outlook Express there are thousands of
    > Newsgroups available right from my fingertips.
    > THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE!!!

    <snip>

    Well; there's another good reason to have a munged address in
    Usenet. To keep boneheads with an axe to grind out of your Inbox. People
    that do not *already* have your address will not be able to write to
    you, now.
    News and mail accounts are handled entirely separately in OE. There
    *are* some security vulnerabilities in OE; but they are easily dealt
    with by keeping it up-to-date, checking for mail with the Preview Pane
    off (View/Layout), and reading messages in plain text (Tools; Options;
    Read).
    --
    "The person that wrote to you is an idiot."

    trout, Mar 7, 2004
  6. me

    trout Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    > me wrote:
    >> Can anyonE verify this information.
    >> I received this message via e-mail (below between the two dotted
    >> lines) in response to my original question which is located below the
    >> second dotted line.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Incidentally, it's very rude to post an email to Usenet without
    > permission from the sender.

    I'd consider it as rude, if not more so, to be emailed a response to
    a Usenet post, uninvited. He didn't even identify the sender, although I
    can guess; as he's been known before to take his anti-OE scare-mongering
    tactics out of sight of the public, where his hysterics would be
    justifiably mocked.
    --
    "I say again. He's an idiot."

    trout, Mar 7, 2004
  7. me

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: Linda stated for the record...
    > I'm in that 'idiot sucker' group. I've been using Outlook Express for
    > years without any problems.
    > Perhaps if the respondent learnt to read help files & how to use
    > search engines, maybe he/she wouldn't have so many problems.

    FWIW I count myself in the same group...
    Ignore the fanatic who replied to your OP
    If OE works for you, use it.
    Works for me, (with OE Quotefix of course!)
    & frankly I haven't got time to fiddle about with anything else..

    Life's Too Short! ;-)

    (Is that a recognised acronym yet? If not, it should be...)

    slylittlei, Mar 7, 2004
  8. me wrote:

    > I just wonder why Newsgroups are even available in Outlook Express (if
    > they are not save) and especially when my e-mail address has been MUNGED.

    Nothing is perfectly safe. You're allowed to cross the street, too, but that
    doesn't guarantee you'll make it to the other side.

    > It seems that to use a non-Microsoft e-mail program separate from
    > newsreader to access Newsgroups would be DIFFICULT and COMPLEX. In Outlook

    You don't access newsgroups with *any* email program -- netnews is not
    email. Email is not netnews. You're accessing newsgroups (with OE) with
    a combined news and mail client.

    > Express there are thousands of Newsgroups available right from my
    > fingertips.

    As they are from any news client. It's just that on the whole, the
    others are generally less vulnerable to malware than OE is. How you use them
    makes big difference, too. I suspect you should be using a safer one,
    based on your confusion.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 7, 2004
  9. me

    netOBSESSIVE Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    > No it isn't spam, because you solicited it (sort of).
    > Spam is unsolicited messaging which attempts to make money out of you.

    ALMOST...

    Legally, SPAM is unsolicited messaging.

    No money involved. If money is involved, then there are other laws
    involved also.

    netOBSESSIVE, Mar 7, 2004
  10. me

    netOBSESSIVE Guest

    me wrote:

    > When I change my address in OE News accounts will that change my
    > regular OE e-mail address so people I normally write to (outside of News
    > Groups)
    > will not be able to write me?
    > THANKS AGAIN!!!

    When you "change your address" in News Accounts, you are actually only
    changing what *we* see. You are not *actually* changing the email
    address. So to answer your question, No it will not affect your family
    and friends from emailing you. When I first started using these groups I
    failed to change the way my email address was seen and started getting
    Virus Mail right away.
    I use a different News client than Outlook, because, I like to support
    other people than Microsoft for one, and because this News Reader has a
    lot of options I like. But I see no reason that you shouldn't use what
    you are comfortable with.

    netOBSESSIVE, Mar 7, 2004