adding wirelss laptops into a workgroup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Owens, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    I have a workgroup ( a mixture of w2k, xp and 98 ) running through a linksys
    router.
    I also have two laptops (xp) hanging wirelessly off the router which can
    both surf the net and ping the other pc's. BUT I cannot get them to join
    the
    workgroup.
    The pcs even 'see' the laptops, but when I click on their entry I get a
    'route not found' message.

    I have set up shares. I have set them to workgroup in the same name (not the
    default mshome).

    I would be grateful for any pointers helping me to get these xp laptops to
    work within the workgroup, wirelessly.

    Thanks
    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk

    John Owens, Nov 26, 2006

  2. John Owens

    Jim Guest

    I had a similar problem and found my network key on my notebook
    did not match the key on my linksys router. I also found the following in
    this newsgroup from another Jim.
    Jim
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

    Network did not assign this computer an IP address

    The reasons that I got such a message when I was setting up my network were:

    1. Incorrect key for WEP. It is quite difficult to get this thing right.

    2. ZA not passing ICMP packets.

    3. Computer not set to use DHCP.

    There are probably lots of others.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 26, 2006

  3. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    "Jim" <shamus1145@ya(ormaybeno)hoo.com> wrote in message
    > I had a similar problem and found my network key on my notebook
    > did not match the key on my linksys router. I also found the following in
    > this newsgroup from another Jim.
    > Jim
    > 2. ZA not passing ICMP packets.

    Thanks but I am not using WEP (I use Mac authentication instead and the
    laptops are surfing via the router quite happily). I will look into the
    firewall thing though.

    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk

    John Owens, Nov 26, 2006
  4. John Owens

    David Hettel Guest

    You might want to take a look at the following pages;

    There is also an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
    Take the time to go through it and it will usually pinpoint the problem
    area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.