Adding wireless to aDSL router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sam, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few details
    are different.

    I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
    connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
    to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
    problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
    on the router (it is not mine).

    I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
    connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've played
    around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been able
    to access the internet through it.

    If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how should
    I configure the wireless router?

    The ISP has given me two IPs:
    An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

    I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't have
    to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct? When
    the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
    settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically. This is why I
    figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the IPs
    from the ISP.

    Thanks for the help.

    Sam
    Sam, Sep 25, 2006

  2. Sam

    steve Guest

    Sam wrote:

    > I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
    > connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
    > to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
    > problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
    > on the router (it is not mine).

    If it isn't yours, do you have permission to access it?

    If not....end of story.

    If no one knows the settings then you should be able to reset to factory
    defaults and reconfig using default user / password.
    steve, Sep 25, 2006

  3. Sam

    Alan Guest

    Hi Sam,

    See inline:

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few
    > details
    > are different.
    >
    > I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
    > connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured
    > correctly
    > to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
    > problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the
    > settings
    > on the router (it is not mine).

    If you don't know the password, you can always reset to factory
    settings and change it to something you do know. Read the manual.

    > I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
    > connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've
    > played
    > around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been
    > able
    > to access the internet through it.

    Does the ADSL router have two (or more) LAN connections?

    If not, you could plug into, say, a switch to handle that, and then
    plug the Wireless router into the switch I guess.

    It is also possible to setup a machine with two NICs and have it
    function as a firewall and / or proxy behind which your wireless
    router (and its clients) sit. Unusual in a home environment, but
    possible.

    > If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how
    > should I configure the wireless router?

    Should be irrelavent to the wireless router - it is in your LAN and
    nothing to do with your external IP or ISP for that matter.

    > The ISP has given me two IPs:
    > An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

    You can setup your internal LAN any way you want - it is not your ISP
    that decides this.

    Also, you may just be using easy language, but your LAN won't have an
    IP (but it will have a subnet mask). Maybe you mean the LAN side of
    the router has an IP (which it will)?

    For example, if your LAN is a ten-dot network, then you might have the
    following:

    Machine1 = 10.0.0.1
    Router = 10.0.0.254 (Default Gateway)
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

    If you add another machine to that mix, it might be 10.0.0.2 (say).
    You'd have to check the wireless router manual to see exactly how to
    set it up to work with your network configuration, but it probably
    needs to know the IP of the default gateway (10.0.0.254 in the above
    example).

    > I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't
    > have to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct?

    ADSL modem? Could be, but you'd have to check - back to resetting the
    password I guess.

    > When
    > the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
    > settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically.

    Do you mean that your ADSL modem provides the IPs on your network
    using DHCP?

    That would be relatively unusual in a home setting, but not
    impossible. You'd have to check the ADSL modem's settings to see
    that - back to the top again!

    > This is why I
    > figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the
    > IPs
    > from the ISP.

    Correct I think. The wireless router and the machines on your LAN
    shouldn't care what your external IP is - the ADSL router should be
    taking care of the NAT side of things.

    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Sam

    Hope that helps! E&OE!!

    If you are really stuck with this stuff, it would probably not cost a
    lot to get a professional to set it up for you - I would guess less
    than $100 but you'd have to get quotes as I haven't ever tried that.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Sam

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:34:56 +1200, Alan wrote:

    >> I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
    >> connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've
    >> played
    >> around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been
    >> able
    >> to access the internet through it.
    >>

    > Does the ADSL router have two (or more) LAN connections?
    >
    > If not, you could plug into, say, a switch to handle that, and then
    > plug the Wireless router into the switch I guess.

    Is it a router or just an ADSL modem? It is setup for just one PC.
    Gordon, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Sam

    Alan Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    > Is it a router or just an ADSL modem?

    Can't be certain. You should ask the OP.

    >It is setup for just one PC.

    If you say so.

    Alan, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Sam

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-25, Sam <> wrote:
    > This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few details
    > are different.
    >
    > I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
    > connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
    > to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
    > problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
    > on the router (it is not mine).

    DYM a static lan address?

    > I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
    > connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've played
    > around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been able
    > to access the internet through it.

    I guess you've got to set the default gateway on the router to point io the
    ADSL router. (are you sure it's a runnibng as a router)

    > If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how should
    > I configure the wireless router?

    unless the ADSL router is providing DHCP using a different, fixed, IP address
    is probably the easiest.

    > The ISP has given me two IPs:
    > An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

    they may be significant.

    > I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't have
    > to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct?
    > When the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
    > settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically.

    this means the modem is doing DHCP, and probably running as a router
    (but if you see PPPOE running on the PC it's not)

    > This is why I
    > figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the IPs
    > from the ISP.

    yeah, setting it to use DHCP should be enough.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 26, 2006