Adding Windows XP to Existing wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a wireless
    device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an Airport and two
    ibooks connected wirelessly.
    At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing for the
    XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the G4.
    However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't print to
    the networked printer.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=, Jan 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=

    Malke Guest

    kevineun wrote:

    > I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a
    > wireless device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an
    > Airport and two ibooks connected wirelessly.
    > At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing
    > for the XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the
    > G4. However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't
    > print to the networked printer.


    You have to run Samba on the Apples. It's very easy on the Mac. Look in
    the Mac Help files or Google "file sharing Apple XP".

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Jan 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Very good, thank you. We're most of the way there. I can't see the shared
    printer on the XP, although I can see it from the other Apples (also
    wireless).

    "Malke" wrote:

    > kevineun wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a
    > > wireless device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an
    > > Airport and two ibooks connected wirelessly.
    > > At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing
    > > for the XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the
    > > G4. However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't
    > > print to the networked printer.

    >
    > You have to run Samba on the Apples. It's very easy on the Mac. Look in
    > the Mac Help files or Google "file sharing Apple XP".
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=, Jan 20, 2006
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=

    Malke Guest

    kevineun wrote:

    > Very good, thank you. We're most of the way there. I can't see the
    > shared printer on the XP, although I can see it from the other Apples
    > (also wireless).


    Make sure you've enabled File & Printer Sharing in XP's Firewall and
    shared out the printer.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Jan 21, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Shawn

    Adding Wireless acess point to existing network.

    Shawn, Oct 17, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,937
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TUFSUw==?=

    Adding new laptops to existing network?

    =?Utf-8?B?TUFSUw==?=, Mar 16, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    506
    Anusha Dandapani[MSFT]
    Mar 17, 2005
  3. Jeff Allen
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    550
    Jeff Allen
    Jan 15, 2005
  4. Colin Day
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    868
    Colin Day
    Nov 24, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWFjZmFybWVy?=

    Wireless printing setup with existing all wireless network

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFjZmFybWVy?=, Feb 21, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    671
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFjZmFybWVy?=
    Feb 21, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page