Adding vlans to Cisco 3750

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Multi, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. Multi

    Multi Guest

    I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    and 200.
    Each of these belong to port-channel 1.

    And I have the same on the other switch.

    Question !!!
    I want to add another vlan.
    Where do I put it ??

    On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    On the port-channel for both switches ??
    Or on both of the above ??
    And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    the vlan.

    eg the physical first then the port-channel ??

    Any feedback appreciated.

    Thanks, Joe.
    Multi, Sep 17, 2008

  2. Multi

    Trendkill Guest

    On Sep 17, 4:20 am, Multi <> wrote:
    > I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    > and 200.
    > Each of these belong to port-channel 1.
    >
    > And I have the same on the other switch.
    >
    > Question !!!
    > I want to add another vlan.
    > Where do I put it ??
    >
    > On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    > On the port-channel for both switches ??
    > Or on both of the above ??
    > And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    > the vlan.
    >
    > eg the physical first then the port-channel ??
    >
    > Any feedback appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Joe.

    Could be wrong, but I thought the port channel was simply a logical
    config where you place the underlying ports that you want to channel.
    I would guess that you need to add them to the physical ports. I know
    on the cat side you would add them to the trunk statements for each
    physical port, and the etherchannel config is left untouched, but
    never had to do it on a 3750.
    Trendkill, Sep 17, 2008

  3. In article
    <>,
    Multi <> wrote:

    > I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    > and 200.
    > Each of these belong to port-channel 1.
    >
    > And I have the same on the other switch.
    >
    > Question !!!
    > I want to add another vlan.
    > Where do I put it ??
    >
    > On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    > On the port-channel for both switches ??
    > Or on both of the above ??
    > And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    > the vlan.
    >
    > eg the physical first then the port-channel ??

    Add them to the Port-Channel, and you'll see in the running configuration
    that the physical members are modified accordingly.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne
    Matthew Melbourne, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Multi <> writes:
    >I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    >and 200.
    >Each of these belong to port-channel 1.

    >And I have the same on the other switch.

    >Question !!!
    >I want to add another vlan.
    >Where do I put it ??

    >On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    >On the port-channel for both switches ??
    >Or on both of the above ??
    >And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    >the vlan.

    >eg the physical first then the port-channel ??

    You'd probably have to show configs for what you are trying doing.

    Most likely, you only have to edit the allowed vlan list in your trunk
    definition on your port channel group.

    Typicially, your access ports would pick up the VLAN members, anything
    you do on the physical ports on the port channel group would be ignored.
    Doug McIntyre, Sep 17, 2008
  5. Multi wrote:
    > I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    > and 200.
    > Each of these belong to port-channel 1.
    >
    > And I have the same on the other switch.
    >
    > Question !!!
    > I want to add another vlan.
    > Where do I put it ??
    >
    > On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    > On the port-channel for both switches ??
    > Or on both of the above ??
    > And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    > the vlan.
    >
    > eg the physical first then the port-channel ??
    >
    > Any feedback appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Joe.

    Provided you have a new enough IOS you can just add the VLANs to the
    Port-channel interface using the 'switchport trunk allowed vlan add <VID>'
    commannd. Then the VLAN changes will be applied to all physical ports that
    are members of that particular Port-channel group.
    Schroeder, AJ, Sep 17, 2008
  6. Multi

    Multi Guest

    On Sep 18, 3:55 am, "Schroeder, AJ" <> wrote:
    > Multi wrote:
    > > I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    > > and 200.
    > > Each of these belong to port-channel 1.

    > > And I have the same on the other switch.

    > > Question !!!
    > > I want to add another vlan.
    > > Where do I put it ??

    > > On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    > > On the port-channel for both switches ??
    > > Or on both of the above ??
    > > And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for adding
    > > the vlan.

    > > eg the physical first then the port-channel ??

    > > Any feedback appreciated.

    > > Thanks, Joe.

    > Provided you have a new enough IOS you can just add the VLANs to the
    > Port-channel interface using the 'switchport trunk allowed vlan add <VID>'
    > commannd. Then the VLAN changes will be applied to all physical ports that
    > are members of that particular Port-channel group.

    Great feedback everyone...thank you.
    Look's like the majority vote is to make the change on the port-
    channel.
    I have hunted high and low for documentation regarding this on the
    Cisco site.
    No joy...which doesn't mean to say it does not exist...just I haven't
    found it.

    It does make sense to do the change on the port-channel side (plus the
    other end)
    In essence , one change and it filters down to all ports within the
    group.

    What would be interesting if at some stage, the port-channel (for some
    reason)
    was removed. I assume then that the ports that were members would
    loose their dependency on the port-channel
    and would need to be redefined.

    If anyone knows of any docuo regarding this I would be more than
    delighted.

    Thanks agian for everyone's input.
    Multi, Sep 18, 2008
  7. Multi wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 3:55 am, "Schroeder, AJ" <> wrote:
    >> Multi wrote:
    >>> I have two Gig ports configured (trunks) with allowed vlans 100,101
    >>> and 200.
    >>> Each of these belong to port-channel 1.

    >>> And I have the same on the other switch.

    >>> Question !!!
    >>> I want to add another vlan.
    >>> Where do I put it ??

    >>> On the physical ports (Gig0/1 and Gig0/2) for both switches ??
    >>> On the port-channel for both switches ??
    >>> Or on both of the above ??
    >>> And if on both of the above, is there any particular order for
    >>> adding the vlan.

    >>> eg the physical first then the port-channel ??

    >>> Any feedback appreciated.

    >>> Thanks, Joe.

    >> Provided you have a new enough IOS you can just add the VLANs to the
    >> Port-channel interface using the 'switchport trunk allowed vlan add
    >> <VID>' commannd. Then the VLAN changes will be applied to all
    >> physical ports that are members of that particular Port-channel
    >> group.

    > Great feedback everyone...thank you.
    > Look's like the majority vote is to make the change on the port-
    > channel.
    > I have hunted high and low for documentation regarding this on the
    > Cisco site.
    > No joy...which doesn't mean to say it does not exist...just I haven't
    > found it.

    I usually reference this document if I have questions
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_white_paper09186a00801b49a4.shtml#cg6

    It has proven to be the best starting point for any questions I have.

    Schroeder, AJ, Sep 19, 2008